    Oh, and one last question slightly OT. When would I need 1/4000 shutter speed
    vs. 1/2000? I noticed the limit on the Rebel 2000 is 1/2000. Regards!

    BPO

    BPO, Jan 7, 2004

  2. BPO

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    Both the Rebel 2000 and the Digital Rebel use Canon EF lenses.

    The difference is that the Digital Rebel has a 1.6x multiplication factor.
    So I 50mm lens will act like a 80mm lens on the digital rebel.

    Gadi
    "BPO" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings! Just breaking into photography. Like the price point and

    features of
    > the Rebel film camera, and think it will fulfill my film camera needs for

    now.
    > However, I'd like to upgrade my point and shoot digital camera as well.

    Does
    > anyone know if the lenses for the Canon Rebel 2000 and the Canon Digital

    Rebel

    Gadi Ben-Avi, Jan 7, 2004

  3. BPO

    Elp Guest

    "BPO" <> wrote in message
    > Oh, and one last question slightly OT. When would I need 1/4000 shutter

    speed
    > vs. 1/2000? I noticed the limit on the Rebel 2000 is 1/2000. Regards!

    If you decide to go for a trip in sahara with only ISO 3200 films in your
    pocket probably:) Or maybe for very fast action shoots such as a Formula 1
    race.

    Elp, Jan 7, 2004
  4. BPO

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "BPO" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings! Just breaking into photography. Like the price point and

    features of
    > the Rebel film camera, and think it will fulfill my film camera needs for

    now.
    > However, I'd like to upgrade my point and shoot digital camera as well.

    Does
    > anyone know if the lenses for the Canon Rebel 2000 and the Canon Digital

    Rebel
    > are interchangeable? That would be a sweet feature.

    Yes, they are.

    > Oh, and one last question slightly OT. When would I need 1/4000 shutter

    speed
    > vs. 1/2000? I noticed the limit on the Rebel 2000 is 1/2000. Regards!

    In an extreme situation would you have to go higher than 1/1000.

    Lots of SLR film cameras used to have a top speed of 1/500.

    Most film camera shots are taken at 1/125 with a normal lens or 1/500 with a
    lens that goes up to 200mm.

    Have fun, Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan, Jan 7, 2004
  5. "The lenses will fit the drebel just fine. As for the shutter speed,
    I have never used 1/4000 sec.

    James Cassatt, Jan 7, 2004
  6. BPO

    Alan Browne Guest

    BPO wrote:

    > Greetings! Just breaking into photography. Like the price point and features of
    > the Rebel film camera, and think it will fulfill my film camera needs for now.
    > However, I'd like to upgrade my point and shoot digital camera as well. Does
    > anyone know if the lenses for the Canon Rebel 2000 and the Canon Digital Rebel
    > are interchangeable? That would be a sweet feature.

    yes. That's the whole idea.

    > Oh, and one last question slightly OT. When would I need 1/4000 shutter speed
    > vs. 1/2000? I noticed the limit on the Rebel 2000 is 1/2000. Regards!

    Depends on the shooter and film speed more that anything else. I've
    shot at ISO-100, 1/12,000, f/32 + 2 stop ND, but that was quite specific
    (shaddowgraphs with sun).

    But generally, it is rare that I shoot above 1/1500 or so, but I use
    mainly slowish film (50-100). (well, slow by todays standards..)

    If you "walk around" with 800 film in your camera, you will be forced to
    shoot at higher speeds in sunlight, esp. at shallow DOF. Nice thing
    about digital is you can set the ISO where you want frame by frame...

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Jan 7, 2004
  7. BPO

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    All your Rebel lenses can be used on ANY EOS Canon body. THere is one lens
    for the DRebel -- the EF-S 18-55 (I think that is the designation) that will
    only work on the DRebel body, and no other - it will not even mount to any
    other body. This is a basic 28-105 equavalent for that body.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 7, 2004
  8. BPO

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message
    > All your Rebel lenses can be used on ANY EOS Canon body. THere is one lens
    > for the DRebel -- the EF-S 18-55 (I think that is the designation) that

    will
    > only work on the DRebel body, and no other - it will not even mount to any
    > other body. This is a basic 28-105 equavalent for that body.

    Actually, that's 29-88mm Tony.
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Jan 8, 2004
  9. BPO

    Ken Alverson Guest

    "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > "BPO" <> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know if the lenses for the Canon Rebel 2000 and the
    > > Canon Digital Rebel are interchangeable? That would be a sweet feature.

    > Yes, they are.

    With the sole (currently) exception of the DRebel's kit lens, the 18-55 EF-S.
    That lens (and any future EF-S lenses, if there are any) will only fit on the
    DRebel (and any future cameras that support EF-S).

    Any lens that fits on the film Rebel will fit on the DRebel. The opposite is
    not true (but there is only the one current exception).

    Ken

    Ken Alverson, Jan 8, 2004
  10. BPO

    JIM Guest

    "Ken Alverson" <> wrote in message news:btj02n$ff0
    > With the sole (currently) exception of the DRebel's kit lens, the 18-55

    EF-S.
    > That lens (and any future EF-S lenses, if there are any) will only fit on

    the
    > DRebel (and any future cameras that support EF-S).
    >
    > Any lens that fits on the film Rebel will fit on the DRebel. The opposite

    is
    > not true (but there is only the one current exception).

    And the purpose of developing this lens was? What/why is it?

    Jim

    JIM, Jan 8, 2004
  11. BPO

    Don Coon Guest

    "JIM" <> wrote in message
    > "Ken Alverson" <> wrote in message news:btj02n$ff0
    > > With the sole (currently) exception of the DRebel's kit lens, the 18-55

    > EF-S.
    > > That lens (and any future EF-S lenses, if there are any) will only fit

    on
    > the
    > > DRebel (and any future cameras that support EF-S).
    > >
    > > Any lens that fits on the film Rebel will fit on the DRebel. The

    opposite
    > is
    > > not true (but there is only the one current exception).

    > And the purpose of developing this lens was? What/why is it?
    >
    > Jim

    To build a cheap wide angle zoom equivalent to a 28-90 on a film Rebel. It
    was cheaper to extend the lens closer to the film plane than to build a
    normal EF lens. This was only possible on the DRebel because the mirror's
    path doesn't hit the protrusion of the lens into the camera housing.

    Don Coon, Jan 8, 2004
  12. BPO

    Ken Alverson Guest

    "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
    > "JIM" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > And the purpose of developing this lens was? What/why is it?

    > To build a cheap wide angle zoom equivalent to a 28-90 on a film Rebel. It
    > was cheaper to extend the lens closer to the film plane than to build a
    > normal EF lens. This was only possible on the DRebel because the mirror's
    > path doesn't hit the protrusion of the lens into the camera housing.

    Additionally, since the lens is only ever meant to work on cameras with an APS
    sized sensor, it doesn't have to illuminate a 35mm sized area. They didn't
    have to change the mount to achieve that particular "feature", but having a
    different mount also prevents anyone from thinking that maybe they can use it
    on their 35mm camera.

    The back-focus is, as you said, the technical reason that requires a new
    mount. That lets them build an 18-55mm lens for $100, versus the closest
    competing Canon lens that isn't EF-S, the 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5, at $370 (or the
    17-40mm f/4L at $700)

    Ken

    Ken Alverson, Jan 8, 2004
  13. BPO