    Does anyone know where I can get software (hopefulling free, since the
    problem will otherwise solve itself after a while) that would let me
    open Raw format in OS 9 (or allow Photoshop 7, running in OS 9, to open it)?

    David P. Summers, May 24, 2006

  2. On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:19:32 GMT, David P. Summers <> wrote:
    > I have an old Mac (G3 OS9.2.2). I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT.
    > Currenlty I just the large JPEG format since I can't open RAW format.
    > The software I got form Canon works on OS X. I'm going to be getting a
    > new computer, but not for a number months.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get software (hopefulling free, since the
    > problem will otherwise solve itself after a while) that would let me
    > open Raw format in OS 9 (or allow Photoshop 7, running in OS 9, to open it)?

    One option would be to put OSX on the G3. I've run 10.1 on a G3, and
    while it wasn't the fastest thing in the world, it did run and was
    tolerably responsive.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, May 24, 2006

  3. David P. Summers

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > David P. Summers writes ...
    >
    >I have an old Mac (G3 OS9.2.2). I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT.
    >Currenlty I just the large JPEG format since I can't open RAW format
    >Does anyone know where I can get software (hopefulling free, since the
    >problem will otherwise solve itself after a while) that would let me
    >open Raw format in OS 9

    Possibly RawShooter Essentials (free) runs on OS 9. It will do a
    better job than Photoshop or the Canon software. Same for Capture One
    LE, download the free trial version for 15 days and see if it works on
    OS 9 (or maybe one of the earlier versions). This one isn't free
    though.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 24, 2006
  4. David P. Summers

    bmoag Guest

    When you get your new computer will it be another Apple? Will it be an OSX
    machine? Unfortunately Apple has already abandoned this platform but at
    least there are programs you can run on it.
    On the other hand you could get a new Macintel.
    Unfortunately there are no programs that run natively on this platform. You
    can run OSX programs through a kludge interpreter at the speed of your
    current G3.
    You could use a Macintel to dual boot to Windows and use Windows programs to
    do some real work.
    But then you will be paying insane prices for mediocre Windows hardware with
    an Apple label on the box and a substandard warranty.
    You could just get a Windows machine and save yourself a ton of money and
    aggravation . . . and have limitless hardware and software at competitive
    prices from more multiple vendors and not just Apple.
    But that would be a rational choice and no one who would consider buying a
    Macintel probably thinks rationally.

    bmoag, May 24, 2006
  5. David P. Summers

    J. Clarke Guest

    bmoag wrote:

    > When you get your new computer will it be another Apple? Will it be an OSX
    > machine? Unfortunately Apple has already abandoned this platform but at
    > least there are programs you can run on it.

    You mean there was a press release from Apple after 9PM last night
    announcing the abandonment of OS/X? Do tell.

    > On the other hand you could get a new Macintel.
    > Unfortunately there are no programs that run natively on this platform.

    Tell that to Apple and Adobe and the others who claim that their programs
    run natively on the Intel Macs.

    > You can run OSX programs through a kludge interpreter

    Why would one need an interpreter to run OS/X programs? If you mean PowerPC
    programs that's another story, you seem to be confusing the operating
    system with the CPU. And I think that the producers of Hercules and Bochs
    would resent the assertion that such products are "kludges".

    > at the speed of your
    > current G3.
    > You could use a Macintel to dual boot to Windows and use Windows programs
    > to do some real work.
    > But then you will be paying insane prices for mediocre Windows hardware
    > with an Apple label on the box and a substandard warranty.
    > You could just get a Windows machine and save yourself a ton of money and
    > aggravation . . . and have limitless hardware and software at competitive
    > prices from more multiple vendors and not just Apple.
    > But that would be a rational choice and no one who would consider buying a
    > Macintel probably thinks rationally.

    Nobody who hates Apple so much that he has to make up lies about them is
    thinking rationally.

    Note that I do not at this time own any Apple products except maybe a few
    cables and whatnot languishing in a box in the attic, but I do at least try
    to check the facts before spouting off about them.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, May 24, 2006
  6. On Wed, 24 May 2006 04:33:33 GMT, bmoag <> wrote:
    > When you get your new computer will it be another Apple? Will it be an OSX
    > machine? Unfortunately Apple has already abandoned this platform but at
    > least there are programs you can run on it.
    > On the other hand you could get a new Macintel.
    > Unfortunately there are no programs that run natively on this platform. You
    > can run OSX programs through a kludge interpreter at the speed of your
    > current G3.

    Hardly. I moved from an 867 Mhz G4 Powerbook to a Macbook, and found
    that for most applications, running under Rosetta (the emulator) is as
    fast or faster on the MacBook than native on the old PB. And pretty much
    everything worked with Rosetta, with the exception of a couple of minor
    apps that provided kernel extensions (device drivers, mainly).

    Universal apps (native code on the MacTel) are a lot faster, of course.
    Most of my minor applications, and a couple of the major ones, are
    Universal. All of the remaining major ones are slated to make that
    transition by the next major release.

    > You could use a Macintel to dual boot to Windows and use Windows programs to
    > do some real work.
    > But then you will be paying insane prices for mediocre Windows hardware with
    > an Apple label on the box and a substandard warranty.
    > You could just get a Windows machine and save yourself a ton of money and
    > aggravation . . . and have limitless hardware and software at competitive
    > prices from more multiple vendors and not just Apple.
    > But that would be a rational choice and no one who would consider buying a
    > Macintel probably thinks rationally.

    Whatever.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, May 24, 2006
  7. In article <xmRcg.77598$>, bmoag
    <> wrote:

    > When you get your new computer will it be another Apple? Will it be an OSX
    > machine? Unfortunately Apple has already abandoned this platform but at
    > least there are programs you can run on it.
    > On the other hand you could get a new Macintel.
    > Unfortunately there are no programs that run natively on this platform. You
    > can run OSX programs through a kludge interpreter at the speed of your
    > current G3.
    > You could use a Macintel to dual boot to Windows and use Windows programs to
    > do some real work.
    > But then you will be paying insane prices for mediocre Windows hardware with
    > an Apple label on the box and a substandard warranty.
    > You could just get a Windows machine and save yourself a ton of money and
    > aggravation . . . and have limitless hardware and software at competitive
    > prices from more multiple vendors and not just Apple.
    > But that would be a rational choice and no one who would consider buying a
    > Macintel probably thinks rationally.

    Maybe he wants to stick with Apple because it's superior
    hardware/software that is virus-free.

    Randall Ainsworth, May 24, 2006
  8. David P. Summers

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <xmRcg.77598$>,
    "bmoag" <> wrote:

    > When you get your new computer will it be another Apple? Will it be an OSX
    > machine? Unfortunately Apple has already abandoned this platform but at
    > least there are programs you can run on it.
    > On the other hand you could get a new Macintel.
    > Unfortunately there are no programs that run natively on this platform. You
    > can run OSX programs through a kludge interpreter at the speed of your
    > current G3.

    You're wrong. If the OP bought a Mac mini, it would handle Canon RAW
    files fine out of the box using iPhoto 6. The OP could also buy a copy
    of Photoshop Elements which would handle RAW fine and likely offer every
    photo editing feature he or she would need.

    Shawn Hirn, May 24, 2006
  9. Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:19:32 GMT, David P. Summers <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an old Mac (G3 OS9.2.2). I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT.
    >>Currenlty I just the large JPEG format since I can't open RAW format.
    >>The software I got form Canon works on OS X. I'm going to be getting a
    >>new computer, but not for a number months.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know where I can get software (hopefulling free, since the
    >>problem will otherwise solve itself after a while) that would let me
    >>open Raw format in OS 9 (or allow Photoshop 7, running in OS 9, to open it)?

    > One option would be to put OSX on the G3. I've run 10.1 on a G3, and
    > while it wasn't the fastest thing in the world, it did run and was
    > tolerably responsive.

    I'd have to upgrade my disk space and memory and I plan on saving the
    money for a new computer (which is what I really need).

    David P. Summers, May 24, 2006
  10. Thanks

    David P. Summers, May 24, 2006
  11. I'll get it in a few months and it will have the current OS, so no
    problems there. I will get an Intel Mac and I could boot Windows
    but I doubt I will ever bother (I've never had problems with getting
    software and hardware for a Mac, nor have people I know that have made
    sure they had hardware or software Windows emulators ever really needed
    them). I will see enough of a speed upgrade that a short wait for Intel
    native software isn't a big deal. I'm not getting a Windows machine,
    I use them at work and having experience with both, I know which way
    I want to go (you belief that such a view isn't rational
    not-withstanding).

    More to the point here (on this photography group) is what I
    need to open Canon RAW format and, in fact, all the machines I might
    buy will do it clearly the choice of what machine I will buy
    doesn't seem relevant. The question is what do I do as a stop
    gap on my old machine?

    David P. Summers, May 24, 2006
  12. On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:25:38 GMT, David P. Summers <> wrote:

    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:19:32 GMT, David P. Summers <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have an old Mac (G3 OS9.2.2). I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT.
    >>>Currenlty I just the large JPEG format since I can't open RAW format.
    >>>The software I got form Canon works on OS X. I'm going to be getting a
    >>>new computer, but not for a number months.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know where I can get software (hopefulling free, since the
    >>>problem will otherwise solve itself after a while) that would let me
    >>>open Raw format in OS 9 (or allow Photoshop 7, running in OS 9, to open it)?

    >> One option would be to put OSX on the G3. I've run 10.1 on a G3, and
    >> while it wasn't the fastest thing in the world, it did run and was
    >> tolerably responsive.

    > I'd have to upgrade my disk space and memory and I plan on saving the
    > money for a new computer (which is what I really need).

    Fair enough. Just thought I'd mention it as an option.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, May 24, 2006
  13. On 23 May 2006 17:12:39 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Bill Hilton"
    <> wrote:

    >Possibly RawShooter Essentials (free) runs on OS 9. It will do a
    >better job than Photoshop or the Canon software.

    FWIW, do you mean under some emulation? RSE in Windoze only,, XP or W2k,
    according to the Pixmantec web site.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), May 25, 2006