Canon Pro1

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Cotter, May 16, 2004.

  1. Bob Cotter

    Bob Cotter Guest

    I just purchased the Pro1 and have taken a couple of dozen pictures. So
    far I like it and am pleased with my choice.

    I have had Canon gear for quite some time and for many months was
    considering the Digital Rebel so I could continue to use the collection
    of lenses I already own.

    On the day I was to make my purchase, I took the Pro1 for a test drive
    and decided that my days of packing a big camera back with extra lenses
    and attachments is probably over. The smaller form factor of the Pro1
    with the versatility of the zoom lense convinced me to go in that
    direction regardless of the extra $100 or so in cost.

    To my question...

    The high speed 64mb card that comes standard with the Pro1 is obviously
    not large enough for vacations and such.

    It has been suggested that I purchase a 512 or 1gb card.

    I'm wondering if I "need" to use a high speed card. What trade offs will
    there be if I purchase, for example, a 4x card instead?

    Cheers... Bob

    --
    If replying by email, please remove the removes.

    Bob Cotter, May 16, 2004

  2. Bob Cotter

    jriegle Guest

    "Bob Cotter" <> wrote in message
    > I just purchased the Pro1 and have taken a couple of dozen pictures. So
    > far I like it and am pleased with my choice.
    >
    > I have had Canon gear for quite some time and for many months was
    > considering the Digital Rebel so I could continue to use the collection
    > of lenses I already own.
    >
    > On the day I was to make my purchase, I took the Pro1 for a test drive
    > and decided that my days of packing a big camera back with extra lenses
    > and attachments is probably over. The smaller form factor of the Pro1
    > with the versatility of the zoom lense convinced me to go in that
    > direction regardless of the extra $100 or so in cost.
    >
    > To my question...
    >
    > The high speed 64mb card that comes standard with the Pro1 is obviously
    > not large enough for vacations and such.
    >
    > It has been suggested that I purchase a 512 or 1gb card.
    >
    > I'm wondering if I "need" to use a high speed card. What trade offs will
    > there be if I purchase, for example, a 4x card instead?
    >
    > Cheers... Bob
    >
    > --
    > If replying by email, please remove the removes.

    I would recommend several 128MB or 356MB cards. If the single large card
    happened to fail, you could loose all your pictures. Using several smaller
    cards would lessen the impact.
    John

    jriegle, May 16, 2004

  3. Bob Cotter

    Zol. Guest

    Hi, So far with my Pro1, I`ve used a 1Gb microdrive & 256Mb Lexar CF Cards with it and have
    shot in the raw format (crw) which takes up aprox 9Mb of space per image so I get aprox 114
    Images per disk before transfering to a portable storage device that I carry. Obviously if
    you shoot in JPG, you will get a lot more images per CF/Disk and always have the luxury of
    converting shots to raw after you`ve taken them by pressing the function button whilst the
    image is being reviewed. I have used the microdrive for storing photos for the past 8 months
    with no problems but, they are minature hardrives and as such need to be cared for as such
    whereas on the other hand, Compact Flash(CF) is Solid State (no moving parts) and therefore
    the life should be better as long as you stick to a good brand (I`ve used Lexar with Canons
    okay). If I was in a postion to buy CF Cards, I would opt for either a couple of 512Mb or a
    1Gb one.

    Question for you, do you shoot with high ISO in the past? The noise factor does pose a
    problem for low-light shots where you want a quick exposure time without flash.

    Zol.

    Zol., May 16, 2004
  4. Bob Cotter

    Bob Cotter Guest

    In article <0SLpc.35885$>,
    "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:

    > Question for you, do you shoot with high ISO in the past? The noise factor
    > does pose a
    > problem for low-light shots where you want a quick exposure time without
    > flash.

    In the past I have not shot with a higher ISO with a digital camera. I
    have read some reviews (and your notes thank you) that indicate the
    noise factor. I have a 420EX to use for inside shots and have only done
    a few experiments ... so far MUCH better results than with the G1 I have
    used for the past two years.

    My real question was whether or not the incremental price for the high
    speed cards was absolutely necessary to spend.

    Any thoughts on this?

    Cheers... Bob

    --
    If replying by email, please remove the removes.

    Bob Cotter, May 17, 2004
  5. Bob Cotter

    Bob Cotter Guest

    In article <0SLpc.35885$>,
    "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:

    > Hi, So far with my Pro1, I`ve used a 1Gb microdrive & 256Mb Lexar CF Cards
    > with it and have
    > shot in the raw format (crw) which takes up aprox 9Mb of space per image so I
    > get aprox 114
    > Images per disk before transfering to a portable storage device that I carry.
    > Obviously if
    > you shoot in JPG, you will get a lot more images per CF/Disk and always have
    > the luxury of
    > converting shots to raw after you`ve taken them by pressing the function
    > button whilst the
    > image is being reviewed.

    I read that in the manual and have done that. Unfortunately, the
    software I use for storing my images (iPhoto) will not read the RAW
    format.

    Cheers... Bob

    --
    If replying by email, please remove the removes.

    Bob Cotter, May 17, 2004
  6. "Bob Cotter" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > My real question was whether or not the incremental price for the high
    > speed cards was absolutely necessary to spend.

    Not absolutely necessary, but it will help in reducing the download times to
    your computer. It might also influence the maximum sequence speed if you
    need to shoot many images with a short interval (differs per camera model).
    If it's not that important to you, you might as well spend the same money on
    higher capacity.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, May 17, 2004
  7. Bob Cotter

    Zol. Guest

    "Bob Cotter" <> wrote in message
    > In article <0SLpc.35885$>,
    > "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Question for you, do you shoot with high ISO in the past? The noise factor
    > > does pose a
    > > problem for low-light shots where you want a quick exposure time without
    > > flash.

    > In the past I have not shot with a higher ISO with a digital camera. I
    > have read some reviews (and your notes thank you) that indicate the
    > noise factor. I have a 420EX to use for inside shots and have only done
    > a few experiments ... so far MUCH better results than with the G1 I have
    > used for the past two years.
    >
    > My real question was whether or not the incremental price for the high
    > speed cards was absolutely necessary to spend.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this?
    >
    > Cheers... Bob
    >
    > --
    > If replying by email, please remove the removes.

    I don`t think the Pro1 takes advantage of thigh speed cards when shooting (at least I
    haven`t read it anywhere) but ceratinly downloading to a PC or MAC would be quicker. It
    might be interesting to experiment with a fast CF Card (40x) and see if the camera does
    indeed perform better.

    Zol.

    p.s. There is a dedicated Pro1 Yahoo Group - not much going on at the moment but that will
    change in the future months - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powershotpro1/ might be worth
    asking there too. (Z)

    Zol., May 17, 2004
  8. Bob Cotter

    Zol. Guest

    "Bob Cotter" <> wrote in message
    > In article <0SLpc.35885$>,
    > "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, So far with my Pro1, I`ve used a 1Gb microdrive & 256Mb Lexar CF Cards
    > > with it and have
    > > shot in the raw format (crw) which takes up aprox 9Mb of space per image so I
    > > get aprox 114
    > > Images per disk before transfering to a portable storage device that I carry.
    > > Obviously if
    > > you shoot in JPG, you will get a lot more images per CF/Disk and always have
    > > the luxury of
    > > converting shots to raw after you`ve taken them by pressing the function
    > > button whilst the
    > > image is being reviewed.

    > I read that in the manual and have done that. Unfortunately, the
    > software I use for storing my images (iPhoto) will not read the RAW
    > format.
    >
    > Cheers... Bob
    >
    > --
    > If replying by email, please remove the removes.

    One of the things I looked for when I bought my SmartDisk FlashTrax device was that it could
    store & also view raw files (preview) - a big issue at the time because I was in another
    country when I bought it.

    Zol.

    Zol., May 17, 2004