    up the filter?

    Thanks,
    Charlie.
    Charles Deaton, Nov 27, 2006

  2. "Charles Deaton" <> writes:
    >I've email Canon a few times asking them what size the bayonet
    >connector on the front of the standard lens is with no useful replies.
    >This is the connection that the hood or FA-DC58A filter adapter
    >connects to. They just will not tell me.

    >The reason I ask.... I would like to replace the plastic filter adapter
    >they include with the camera when I bought it new with a metal adapter.
    >And since I'm doing this I was going to use a step up adapter so I can
    >use normal thickness filters and not have to worry about vignetting in
    >the 28mm end of the lens.

    >Does anyone know the size of the bayonet on the front of the normal
    >lens that came with the Powershot Pro1? And will my idea work to step
    >up the filter?

    It's not very clear what you intend to do. If you have the sort of
    machine tools required to *make* a metal adapter, you would also own the
    measuring tools needed to determine the measurements you need yourself.
    Since you asked, you probably can't machine the adapter yourself.

    And otherwise just knowing the diameter of the mount won't do you any
    good. Bayonet mounts are not standardized, and there are several fairly
    critical dimensions involved in a bayonet mount. You can't just order a
    "standard bayonet mount" adapter like a filter.

    (A "50 mm" filter actually has a 50 mm by 0.75 mm metric thread, and all
    50 mm filters use the same standard for their threads, so they are
    interchangeable. But bayonet mounts are not standardized).

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Nov 28, 2006

  3. Charles Deaton

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:33:18 -0800, Charles Deaton wrote:

    > I've email Canon a few times asking them what size the bayonet
    > connector on the front of the standard lens is with no useful replies.
    > This is the connection that the hood or FA-DC58A filter adapter
    > connects to. They just will not tell me.
    >
    > The reason I ask.... I would like to replace the plastic filter adapter
    > they include with the camera when I bought it new with a metal adapter.
    > And since I'm doing this I was going to use a step up adapter so I can
    > use normal thickness filters and not have to worry about vignetting in
    > the 28mm end of the lens.
    >
    > Does anyone know the size of the bayonet on the front of the normal
    > lens that came with the Powershot Pro1? And will my idea work to step
    > up the filter?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Charlie.

    Use a vernier, a notebook and a pencil.

    --
    Neil
    'The moving finger writes and having writ still makes the same mistakes'.
    Neil Ellwood, Nov 28, 2006
  4. If I had a caliper I would have measured it and saved myself the
    aggravation of the "attitudes" I'm receiving.

    Regards
    Charles Deaton.
    Charles Deaton, Nov 28, 2006
  5. Thanks for the reply guys but I have neither a machine shop or a
    caliper. I guess I will make the trip to the closest camera shop and
    see if I can determine the size by trial and error.

    Regards,
    Charles Deaton
    N8NNN
    Charles Deaton, Nov 28, 2006
  6. Charles Deaton

    Doug Robbins Guest

    Attitudes are a part of Usenet. You might as well expect a blackberry bush
    without chiggers.

    Doug

    Doug Robbins, Nov 28, 2006
  7. Charles Deaton

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 28 Nov 2006 03:05:44 -0800, "Charles Deaton" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply guys but I have neither a machine shop or a
    >caliper. I guess I will make the trip to the closest camera shop and
    >see if I can determine the size by trial and error.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Charles Deaton
    >N8NNN

    From your OP it seemed that you have the camera, since you spoke of
    buying the camera new.
    It would follow that you have the camera; else, why would you want to
    do this?
    In any case, it's not just the diameter, but the shape of the lugs and
    grooves, too.
    Good luck!
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 28, 2006
  8. It appears as though this will have to done by trial and error, if it
    can be done.

    Thanks,
    Charles Deaton
    Charles Deaton, Nov 28, 2006
  9. Charles Deaton

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 28 Nov 2006 08:12:39 -0800, "Charles Deaton" <>
    wrote:

    >It appears as though this will have to done by trial and error, if it
    >can be done.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Charles Deaton

    If you don't know how to machine metal, yes, trial and error will
    probably be the mest method, albeit time-consuming and costly.
    However, maybe a class in metalworking at a community college will
    teach how to measure and design the new piece.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 28, 2006
  10. Yeah, I'll jump right on that class. I finished college over 20 years
    ago and do not plan on returning.

    I think I'll spend a few hours at the local photo shop and see if I can
    find one already spec'd, designed, milled and painted.

    If this thread is kept alive long enough I have to believe that someone
    has looked into this before. After all it doesn't seem like it's too
    far out of the ordinary to replace a plastic adapter ring with one made
    of a metallic substance.

    Charlie.
    Charles Deaton, Nov 28, 2006
  11. Charles Deaton

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:12:39 -0800, Charles Deaton wrote:

    > It appears as though this will have to done by trial and error, if it
    > can be done.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Charles Deaton

    Why not get the canon one?

    Neil Ellwood, Nov 28, 2006
  12. "Charles Deaton" <> writes:

    >I think I'll spend a few hours at the local photo shop and see if I can
    >find one already spec'd, designed, milled and painted.

    Not very likely, because you'll need to find one specifically designed
    to mate with a Canon Pro1, or perhaps some other Canon with the same
    bayonet mount. The chance of any other maker using a compatible
    bayonet, even if the diameter is the same, is near zero.

    >If this thread is kept alive long enough I have to believe that someone
    >has looked into this before. After all it doesn't seem like it's too
    >far out of the ordinary to replace a plastic adapter ring with one made
    >of a metallic substance.

    For an example of people who do this, take a look at lensmateonline.com.
    They reverse-engineer the filter adapters for several Canon cameras and
    make new ones that are better - machined out of metal and sometimes with
    more convenient filter diameters. They obviously have access to CNC
    machining equipment and a machinist good enough to make bayonet mounts
    that fit well on the camera.

    But LensMate don't seem to have the particular one you're looking for,
    so you'll need to find someone else with similar capabilities that makes
    something for the Pro1. Or find a machinist who will do a one-off
    project for you.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Nov 28, 2006