    that. I've had 3 good years. might be time for a new printer. Perhaps also
    time to add a dual boot XP64 bit install on my new computer at home. Do any
    of the recent Canons have 64 bit support?

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 3, 2006

  2. Dennis Gordon

    Larry Hodges Guest

    "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My trusty i960 printer is acting like the print head is damaged. I checked
    > around Ebay and people are asking $60+ for *used* i960 print heads. Forget
    > that. I've had 3 good years. might be time for a new printer. Perhaps also
    > time to add a dual boot XP64 bit install on my new computer at home. Do
    > any of the recent Canons have 64 bit support?

    I have a Canon MP-500 multi-function. Has x64 drivers and works flawlessly
    in x64. No reason to dual boot for me. Everything I need runs in x64.
    Everything.

    With that said, make sure you assess your hardware and software. Charlie
    has an article addressing it on his website. for some, they still need to
    dual boot. For many, if not most, x64 is their only OS. (Vista beta
    excluded of course)

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Dennis Gordon

    DP Guest

    Pixma Mp780 (printer/scanner) works flawlessly in x64.
    It's also a fax machine, but I haven't tried that function. (The computer
    it's attached to is wirelessly networked and nowhere near a phone line.)

    DP, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Dennis Gordon

    Matt U.K. Guest

    Hi,

    My Pixma IP4000 works fine, got the Drivers from their web site.

    Matt U.K.

    Matt U.K., Sep 3, 2006
  5. I still have the dual boot setup at work, and although I rarely need to get
    into Pro, it does come in handy. Last Monday I fired up the machine and just
    couldn't get to the desktop. Couldn't get into Safe Mode either to do a
    system restore. But Iwas able to get into XP Pro to do some work; then when
    I had a minute I booted into the Repair Console off the CD and did a FIXBOOT
    on the 64 bit side. It's nice to be able to get things done, even when one
    OS is acting cranky.

    Thanks for the Canon info...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 3, 2006
  6. the MP780 looks nice. Is it a discontinued model? does it accept generic
    refills, or are the cartridges "chipped" like Eposn?

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 3, 2006
  7. Dennis Gordon

    DP Guest

    > the MP780 looks nice. Is it a discontinued model? does it accept generic
    > refills, or are the cartridges "chipped" like Eposn?

    I'm afraid I don't have answers to any of your questions. I've had it for
    about 6 months and don't print a lot, so I haven't had to refill yet.
    And I wouldn't use refills anyway, since I've had bad experiences with those
    with HP printers. Obviously lots of folks do not have those problems.

    Discontinued? I've wondered the same. I was searching the Canon site looking
    for x64 compatibility right before I bought the printer. I found it and
    found downloadable x64 drivers. Once I bought the printer, though, I found
    it harder to find the drivers on the Canon site. I eventually found them,
    but it took some extra looking.
    So, you might want to research a little longer before ultimately buying
    this. If it still ships with only the 32-bit drivers, you'll want to make
    sure the x64 drivers are still accessible from the website.
    I think someone already told me the Vista drivers are on the Vista CD. Can
    anyone confirm that?

    DP, Sep 3, 2006
  8. I found the X64 drivers for the 780 on the Canon website.

    I've been partial to the Canon line for the past few years because I like
    the individual tanks, and the generic cartridges are ultra cheap, costing
    about a buck apiece. If you don't require the very best color, the generics
    do quite well for daily print chores.

    Seeing that the MP780 was released in October 2004, we can presume that it
    is no longer manufactured, given the short shelf lives of these products.

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 3, 2006
  9. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree that a second O/S is really handy for those rare (fortunately)
    occassions when the primary system hiccups. It is so much easier to copy
    damaged files with drag and drop from the other system than trying to do
    copies from the Recovery Console.

    John Barnes, Sep 3, 2006
  10. Dennis Gordon

    pvdg42 Guest

    > the MP780 looks nice. Is it a discontinued model? does it accept generic
    > refills, or are the cartridges "chipped" like Eposn?

    The 780 is a great multifunction unit, the last to use the non-chipped ink
    cartridges. It uses the 6 series individual cartridges and the 3BK large
    black cartridge (4 cartridge printhead). OEM replacement cartridges are
    readily available. I'm running mine from Win XP Pro, so the 64 bit info
    posted here is welcome news for the future.

    Now the bad news: the 780 is a discontinued model, so you'll have to seek
    one out on eBay or some similar venue. I found mine a few months ago on eBay
    from a dealer selling refurbed units with 90 day Canon warranties. I'm very
    glad I took the trouble to find it, as it prints, photo prints, scans,
    copies and faxes flawlessly for me.

    pvdg42, Sep 4, 2006
  11. Dennis Gordon

    pvdg42 Guest

    Oops! 5 cartridge printhead. Sorry!

    pvdg42, Sep 4, 2006
  12. I've put a coupla bids on an M P500 and MP780 on Ebay. See what pans out...

    Say, does the MP780 fax function independent of the computer, or does it
    need to work from within a program?

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 4, 2006
  13. Dennis Gordon

    pvdg42 Guest

    > I've put a coupla bids on an M P500 and MP780 on Ebay. See what pans
    > out...
    >
    > Say, does the MP780 fax function independent of the computer, or does it
    > need to work from within a program?

    Unless I'm missing something, you need a computer. The software that comes
    with the 780 includes a FAX device that shows up as a destination in your
    Print dialog. You load the document to be FAXed into the normal application
    for that document type, then select Print and the FAX device as the
    destination. A dialog gets a recipient and a number, then sends your FAX.

    pvdg42, Sep 4, 2006
  14. Gotcha...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 4, 2006
  15. Dennis Gordon

    DP Guest

    "pvdg42" <> wrote in message

    >> Say, does the MP780 fax function independent of the computer, or does it
    >> need to work from within a program?
    >>

    > Unless I'm missing something, you need a computer. The software that comes
    > with the 780 includes a FAX device that shows up as a destination in your
    > Print dialog. You load the document to be FAXed into the normal
    > application for that document type, then select Print and the FAX device
    > as the destination. A dialog gets a recipient and a number, then sends
    > your FAX.

    As I said from the start, I don't use the fax since the machine is about 60
    feet or so from the closest phone jack.
    However, I think you're wrong. I'll have to check the documentation to be
    able to support my statement, tho (which means I'll have to FIND it first).
    You don't need to fax a document from the computer, you can scan it using
    the same part of the printer you would use to scan or copy any document.
    (Which means, yes, it does operate as a copier independent of the computer,
    as well.)

    DP, Sep 4, 2006
  16. Dennis Gordon

    pvdg42 Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > As I said from the start, I don't use the fax since the machine is about
    > 60 feet or so from the closest phone jack.
    > However, I think you're wrong. I'll have to check the documentation to be
    > able to support my statement, tho (which means I'll have to FIND it
    > first).
    > You don't need to fax a document from the computer, you can scan it using
    > the same part of the printer you would use to scan or copy any document.
    > (Which means, yes, it does operate as a copier independent of the
    > computer, as well.)

    You are correct!
    I just went by my use of the FAX feature and the software doc's (a quick
    scan).
    Looking at the doc's for the 780 unit, I see that it is possible to send a
    FAX directly from the 780 itself.

    pvdg42, Sep 5, 2006
  17. Gee if only I could find one...;-) The one I was bidding on jumped to over
    $300. The MP530 looks like a good alternative, although it uses the more
    expensive cartridges. I see that the generic sellers claim you can put the
    chip from the Canons onto theirs to save money, but that seems like trouble
    ahead...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 5, 2006
  18. Dennis Gordon

    DP Guest

    This one's more expensive than the 530, but have a look.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828102008
    It scans/prints/faxes.

    I'll let you research the cartridge compatibility and whether or not there
    are x64 drivers.

    DP, Sep 5, 2006
  19. I came across that in my search. The first user review ("Death Wish") caught
    my attention...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 5, 2006