    as IXUS) - such as SD400, etc?

    Cheers,

    P.
    Paul Moloney, Apr 12, 2005

  2. (Paul Moloney) writes:
    >In general, does anyone know the difference between the Canon
    >Powershot A series (A75, A95, etc), and the SD series (otherwise known
    >as IXUS) - such as SD400, etc?

    I thought it was the Sxxx series, like the S410 and S500, that were
    called Ixus.

    Anyway, the Axx series use AA batteries for power and have many manual
    controls on the camera. The A80 and A95 are better than the A75 and A85
    because the former use a larger sensor and have a flip-out LCD. These
    all use Type 1 CF memory.

    The Sxxx series are quite a bit smaller, but lose all the manual
    controls. They have a "manual" setting, but it's really the equivalent
    of "P" on the Axx cameras, and there is no equivalent of Tv, Av, or M.
    The battery is a proprietary LiIon unit, but memory is still Type 1 CF.

    The SD series are pretty similar to the Sxxx series, small and almost
    pocketable, but they use SD memory for image storage. This makes the
    cameras even smaller. There used to be a penalty in zoom range (SD
    cameras had 2X zoom, Sxxx had 3X) but that seems to have vanished in the
    latest SD cameras.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Apr 12, 2005