Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - any good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ken, May 2, 2009.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).

    So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
    this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus a
    Canon cashback.

    Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW button?
    :)

    Thank you if you can help.

    Ken
    Ken, May 2, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ken

    Grant Guest

    On Sat, 2 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, "Ken" <> wrote:

    >I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >
    >So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
    >this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus a
    >Canon cashback.
    >
    >Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW button?
    >:)


    It's crap, I tried two and both returned, the second was worse than the
    first. Now I'm using a s/h Nikon D70s -- and having a lot more fun than
    using a crappy high end toy camera.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au
    Grant, May 2, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ken

    dwight Guest

    "Grant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 2 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, "Ken" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >>
    >>So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
    >>this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus
    >>a
    >>Canon cashback.
    >>
    >>Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    >>button?
    >>:)

    >
    > It's crap, I tried two and both returned, the second was worse than the
    > first. Now I'm using a s/h Nikon D70s -- and having a lot more fun than
    > using a crappy high end toy camera.
    >
    > Grant.
    > --
    > http://bugsplatter.id.au


    Ah. That was helpful. And I enjoyed the technical detail.

    Ken, I would suggest that you'd be better off combing through the discussion
    forum at dpreview.com. As with any camera, the SX10 has issues for some, is
    an absolute joy for others. Read the posts, look at the photos provided, and
    make your decision. Does this camera have the features you need/want, or are
    there other options that would suit you better?

    As with olympic events, always throw out the high and low votes and average
    out the rest.

    dwight
    dwight, May 2, 2009
    #3
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "dwight" <> wrote in message
    news:gthga6$qv6$...
    >
    > "Grant" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Sat, 2 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, "Ken" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >>>
    >>>So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look
    >>>of
    >>>this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices
    >>>plus a
    >>>Canon cashback.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    >>>button?
    >>>:)

    >>
    >> It's crap, I tried two and both returned, the second was worse than the
    >> first. Now I'm using a s/h Nikon D70s -- and having a lot more fun than
    >> using a crappy high end toy camera.
    >>
    >> Grant.
    >> --
    >> http://bugsplatter.id.au

    >
    > Ah. That was helpful. And I enjoyed the technical detail.
    >
    > Ken, I would suggest that you'd be better off combing through the
    > discussion forum at dpreview.com. As with any camera, the SX10 has issues
    > for some, is an absolute joy for others. Read the posts, look at the
    > photos provided, and make your decision. Does this camera have the
    > features you need/want, or are there other options that would suit you
    > better?
    >
    > As with olympic events, always throw out the high and low votes and
    > average out the rest.
    >
    > dwight


    Hi Dwight

    When I posted I was waiting or this from a DSLR user who all seem very
    intent on preaching DSLR!!!

    Thanks for your help

    Ken
    Ken, May 2, 2009
    #4
  5. Ken wrote:
    > I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >
    > So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look
    > of this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices
    > plus a Canon cashback.
    >
    > Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    > button? :)
    >
    > Thank you if you can help.
    >
    > Ken

    I went through the same decision last Christmas when I was looking for
    an upgrade for my wife. I settled on the SX10IS, because has many of
    the features of a DSLR without the size, weight, and cost.

    For general use, it does a outstanding job. My wife's pictures are
    comparable to those I take with my D300. Where it starts failing is
    when needing to use higher ISO's. At 400 the Canon has comparable noise
    to the Nikon at 1600 or above.
    The 20x Zoom with image stabilization is fantastic when considering the
    price of the camera. My concern is that the focusing range changes as
    you zoom. The focusing range is displayed in the viewfinder (or LCD)
    but I prefer a lens with a consistent focusing range. My 18-200 focuses
    to about 18" over the entire zoom range.
    The movable screen is great for taking closeups of flowers.
    It has a hot shoe for mounting a external flash, I have used my wireless
    radio controlled external flash with no problems.

    Bottom line, we are both happy with the Canon SX10IS. I am not happy
    that my wife yells at me when I borrow it for a shot that it will do
    better than the D300. Did I mention that is cost about 1/8 the cost of
    the Nikon D300?

    Clair
    Clair Johnston, May 2, 2009
    #5
  6. Ken

    measekite Guest

    On Sat, 02 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, Ken wrote:

    > I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >
    > So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
    > this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus a
    > Canon cashback.
    >
    > Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW button?
    > :)
    >
    > Thank you if you can help.
    >
    > Ken


    I have a Canon S5 and it is very good. The SX10 is a later version.
    However, I would not make any decision until you look at the new Nikon
    P90. On paper I think it is better so we need to wait for the reviews.
    measekite, May 2, 2009
    #6
  7. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Clair Johnston" <> wrote in message
    news:7IYKl.36264$...
    > Ken wrote:
    >> I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >>
    >> So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look
    >> of this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices
    >> plus a Canon cashback.
    >>
    >> Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    >> button? :)
    >>
    >> Thank you if you can help.
    >>
    >> Ken

    > I went through the same decision last Christmas when I was looking for an
    > upgrade for my wife. I settled on the SX10IS, because has many of the
    > features of a DSLR without the size, weight, and cost.
    >
    > For general use, it does a outstanding job. My wife's pictures are
    > comparable to those I take with my D300. Where it starts failing is when
    > needing to use higher ISO's. At 400 the Canon has comparable noise to the
    > Nikon at 1600 or above.
    > The 20x Zoom with image stabilization is fantastic when considering the
    > price of the camera. My concern is that the focusing range changes as you
    > zoom. The focusing range is displayed in the viewfinder (or LCD) but I
    > prefer a lens with a consistent focusing range. My 18-200 focuses to
    > about 18" over the entire zoom range.
    > The movable screen is great for taking closeups of flowers.
    > It has a hot shoe for mounting a external flash, I have used my wireless
    > radio controlled external flash with no problems.
    >
    > Bottom line, we are both happy with the Canon SX10IS. I am not happy that
    > my wife yells at me when I borrow it for a shot that it will do better
    > than the D300. Did I mention that is cost about 1/8 the cost of the Nikon
    > D300?
    >
    > Clair


    Clair thanks for the informative I was beginning to have doubts but NOT
    really as the movable LCD is something I had an old Olympus and miss. So
    this feature alone is worth extra points.

    Ken
    Ken, May 2, 2009
    #7
  8. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message
    news:HTZKl.25827$...
    > On Sat, 02 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, Ken wrote:
    >
    >> I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >>
    >> So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look
    >> of
    >> this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices
    >> plus a
    >> Canon cashback.
    >>
    >> Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    >> button?
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Thank you if you can help.
    >>
    >> Ken

    >
    > I have a Canon S5 and it is very good. The SX10 is a later version.
    > However, I would not make any decision until you look at the new Nikon
    > P90. On paper I think it is better so we need to wait for the reviews.


    It is availbale but approx £100 more so would be well over the top of the
    budget I am working within.

    Ken
    Ken, May 2, 2009
    #8

  9. >
    > Clair thanks for the informative I was beginning to have doubts but NOT
    > really as the movable LCD is something I had an old Olympus and miss. So
    > this feature alone is worth extra points.
    >
    > Ken


    Ken,

    If you decide to get the camera, let us know your thoughts after a
    reasonable period of use. Remember to read the manual to make full use
    of the camera.

    Clair
    Clair Johnston, May 2, 2009
    #9
  10. Ken

    Xxxxx Guest

    I have the SX10IS and an XSi (which I use with a Tamron 18-270 zoom). Both
    are great, but I bought the SX10IS because:

    1. The 20x optical zoom is extremelly useful and a lot lighter/smaller than
    the XSi with the Tamron.

    2. The SX10IS takes movies.

    3. The movable LCD screen enables you to take candid pictures without the
    subject being aware as well as at odd angles. This can be useful when you
    don't want posed pictures or when there are very tall people standing in
    front of you blocking what you want to photograph.

    I use the smaller camera when I plan to be hiking for a long time and when
    focusing speed is not crucial (the PowerShots cannot compete with DSLRs for
    speed), or when I won't need manual focus. While the SX10IS can do manual
    focus, I find it awkward and have never gotten satisfactory results from it.

    For general photography, both cameras yield great pictures.

    --
    nadie
    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    news:49fc0656$0$2474$...
    >I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >
    > So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
    > this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus
    > a Canon cashback.
    >
    > Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    > button? :)
    >
    > Thank you if you can help.
    >
    > Ken
    Xxxxx, May 2, 2009
    #10
  11. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Clair Johnston" <> wrote in message
    news:O42Ll.36274$...
    >
    >>
    >> Clair thanks for the informative I was beginning to have doubts but NOT
    >> really as the movable LCD is something I had an old Olympus and miss. So
    >> this feature alone is worth extra points.
    >>
    >> Ken

    >
    > Ken,
    >
    > If you decide to get the camera, let us know your thoughts after a
    > reasonable period of use. Remember to read the manual to make full use of
    > the camera.
    >
    > Clair


    Since my first post I have now ordered one so!!!

    I have used a bridge camera before so expect to get used to it fairly
    quickly. I hope!!

    Ken
    Ken, May 3, 2009
    #11
  12. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I am also have been told the viewfinder is very good - best in its class and
    I do like my viewfinder.

    Ken


    "Xxxxx" <> wrote in message
    news:1E2Ll.4105$...
    >I have the SX10IS and an XSi (which I use with a Tamron 18-270 zoom). Both
    >are great, but I bought the SX10IS because:
    >
    > 1. The 20x optical zoom is extremelly useful and a lot lighter/smaller
    > than the XSi with the Tamron.
    >
    > 2. The SX10IS takes movies.
    >
    > 3. The movable LCD screen enables you to take candid pictures without the
    > subject being aware as well as at odd angles. This can be useful when you
    > don't want posed pictures or when there are very tall people standing in
    > front of you blocking what you want to photograph.
    >
    > I use the smaller camera when I plan to be hiking for a long time and when
    > focusing speed is not crucial (the PowerShots cannot compete with DSLRs
    > for speed), or when I won't need manual focus. While the SX10IS can do
    > manual focus, I find it awkward and have never gotten satisfactory results
    > from it.
    >
    > For general photography, both cameras yield great pictures.
    >
    > --
    > nadie
    > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > news:49fc0656$0$2474$...
    >>I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >>
    >> So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look
    >> of this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices
    >> plus a Canon cashback.
    >>
    >> Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    >> button? :)
    >>
    >> Thank you if you can help.
    >>
    >> Ken

    >
    Ken, May 3, 2009
    #12
  13. Ken

    SMS Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >
    > So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look
    > of this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices
    > plus a Canon cashback.
    >
    > Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    > button? :)


    Avoid it.

    -Excessive noise reduction, even at relatively low ISO settings.
    -No way to use filters (strange because the S5 supported them). Actually
    Lensmate has made an adapter to get around this, see
    "http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html"
    -Poor focusing in low light.
    SMS, May 3, 2009
    #13
  14. Ken

    Bob Larter Guest

    Time to Kill wrote:
    [...]
    > DSLR = "Duped Simpleminded Loser Retards". There can be no other
    > interpretation of that when taking this century's technology into account.


    **** off, troll.

    --
    W
    . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
    \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
    ---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob Larter, May 4, 2009
    #14
  15. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Dan Birchall" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > (Ken) wrote:
    >> Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    >> button? :)

    >
    > I bought one in January to shoot the inauguration (from a quarter mile
    > away). While I didn't quite get results as good as I had hoped, that
    > was due to atmospheric distortion and not the camera itself. ;)
    >
    > Biggest plus: huge amounts of zoom at a decent resolution.
    > Biggest minus: autofocus spends a LOT of time "hunting, and fails more
    > often than I'd like.
    >
    > It's a good all-around camera when I don't want to carry an SLR and a
    > backpack full of lenses, but want more capability than a pocket camera
    > gives me. If I'm really after image quality, though, I use an SLR.
    >
    > To contextualize my views, I also use a PowerShot A720IS (8mp, 35-210mm
    > equivalent) with underwater housing, a Digital Rebel XT (in the shop
    > getting a new shutter after 87,815 exposures), a Digital Rebel XS
    > (somewhere north of 3,000 exposures in its first 3 weeks) and various
    > lenses (18-55 IS, 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-300mm IS USM)
    >
    > --
    > Dan Birchall - http://danbirchall.multiply.com/ - images, words,
    > technology


    Thanks Dan
    I have thoroughly looked into what I want and think it will suit me and
    since posting have played a lot with my sons Panny FZ18. I prefer the looks
    of the Canon as it is a more solid hold for my hands, I like the movable
    LCD which I enjoyed with an old Olympus, I like the viewfinder better and
    don't ask me why I just feel I want a Canon. Must have been brainwashed on
    this latter point!!

    Seriously I took a lot of shots on the FZ18 but never felt truly happy with
    them!

    Ken
    Ken, May 4, 2009
    #15
  16. Ken

    SMS Guest

    Dan Birchall wrote:

    > It's a good all-around camera when I don't want to carry an SLR and a
    > backpack full of lenses, but want more capability than a pocket camera
    > gives me. If I'm really after image quality, though, I use an SLR.


    Yes, I guess as a camera for when you don't want to carry the D-SLR, the
    SX10IS is one of the better ZLRs out there.

    It's just that once you get used to the D-SLR capabilities it's tough to
    go back to a "bridge" camera. I'm happy with an SD800IS or A570IS (with
    CHDK) for when I don't want to carry the D-SLR. I also still use my old
    G2 because I love the tilt/swivel LCD on the older G series models, but
    by the time I carry around the Lensmate adapter and the wide-angle
    adapter, I may as well carry the D-SLR.

    I no longer go to all-you-can-eat buffets before I prefer quality over
    quantity, and I don't use lenses with a 20x range because they do
    neither wide-angle nor telephoto all that well.

    While I'm no fan of the Olympus 4:3 system, it's more of a competitor to
    the ZLRs like the SX10IS than to larger sensor D-SLR systems. An E-420
    with a 28-84 lens is only $30 more than an SX10IS, comparable in weight
    (with the 28-84 lens). Plus it has the huge advantage of a Li-Ion
    battery versus AA cells, which erases half of the $30 right off the top.
    Alas, if you want the long telephoto range, you're spending another $360
    for the Zuiko 70-300mm lens
    SMS, May 4, 2009
    #16
  17. Ken

    SMS Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > Seriously I took a lot of shots on the FZ18 but never felt truly happy
    > with them!


    Yes, if your point of reference is the FZ18, the SX10IS is a big step up.
    SMS, May 4, 2009
    #17
  18. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message
    news:DyGLl.15683$...
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    >> Seriously I took a lot of shots on the FZ18 but never felt truly happy
    >> with them!

    >
    > Yes, if your point of reference is the FZ18, the SX10IS is a big step up.


    Thanks for that I was getting a complex reading some of the posters :)

    Ken
    Ken, May 4, 2009
    #18
  19. Ken

    SMS Guest

    Ken wrote:
    >
    > "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > news:DyGLl.15683$...
    >> Ken wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seriously I took a lot of shots on the FZ18 but never felt truly
    >>> happy with them!

    >>
    >> Yes, if your point of reference is the FZ18, the SX10IS is a big step up.

    >
    > Thanks for that I was getting a complex reading some of the posters :)


    It's just that when your point of reference is a D-SLR, especially with
    some decent wide-angle and telephoto lenses, the tiny-sensor SX10IS with
    its 20x compromise-lens that isn't all that wide-angle, isn't too
    exciting. Well I'd love a 560mm telephoto, I don't think I'd love that one!

    If I didn't want to lug around a big SLR, I'd get a small SLR like one
    of the Olympus 4xx models. It will win no awards against a Nikon or
    Canon D-SLR, but it's a lot better than a ZLR. And since so few people
    are buying 4:3 D-SLRs the prices are ridiculously low.
    SMS, May 4, 2009
    #19
  20. Ken

    SneakyP Guest

    Time to Kill <> wrote in
    news::

    > On Sun, 03 May 2009 09:20:34 -0700, SMS <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Ken wrote:
    >>> I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).
    >>>
    >>> So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the
    >>> look of this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop
    >>> in prices plus a Canon cashback.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
    >>> button? :)

    >>
    >>Avoid it.
    >>
    >>-Excessive noise reduction, even at relatively low ISO settings.
    >>-No way to use filters (strange because the S5 supported them).
    >>Actually Lensmate has made an adapter to get around this, see
    >>"http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html"
    >>-Poor focusing in low light.

    >
    > Someday, after you have actually bought and owned any camera, come
    > back and tell us what it's like from real life experiences instead of
    > your usual mindless posts of what you think might be. Be a good
    > useless virtual-life troll and go back to your other virtual-reality
    > lives that you live out elsewhere on the net. Your pretending to be a
    > photographer isn't working, we all see right through it. Maybe you
    > should download manuals to your web-tv on how to operate a Game-Boy
    > and become an expert on that too. Go fool the rest of the net with
    > your basement-life imaginings.
    >
    > For the OP: see this review on how this "lowly" P&S camera easily
    > beats a contemporary DSLR in resolution at 1/10th the cost and 1/10th
    > the weight when it is equipped with equivalent glass. Not to mention
    > the $300 10 lb. tripod you'd need to make the DSLR with the same
    > lens-reach the least bit functional.
    >
    > http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_resul
    > ts.shtml
    >
    > DSLR = "Duped Simpleminded Loser Retards". There can be no other
    > interpretation of that when taking this century's technology into
    > account.
    >


    Actually it was such trollery as above that made me change my mind about
    a P&S camera because they're not known to handle the more extreme
    conditions of low-light picture taking and fast handling re-takes of
    pictures when they're needed.

    It kinda sucks when your P&S equipment cant keep up with the real world
    and their time line doesn't match your "Hold that Pose - RIGHT THERE"
    commands. It kinda takes something out of the shoot when trying to re-
    enact certain facial expressions.

    Maybe the Point & Shoot troll can get a realistic view here and say, one
    way doesn't catch the whole picture. In one respect they both have their
    advantages and disadvantages.








    --
    SneakyP
    To reply: newsgroup only, what's posted in ng stays in ng.

    Some choose to swim in the potty bowl of nan-ae rather than flush it
    down :0)
    SneakyP, May 5, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Xxxxx

    Canon SX10 IS shipping yet?

    Xxxxx, Oct 7, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    1,582
    Xxxxx
    Oct 20, 2008
  2. Canon G10, SX10 IS and SX1 IS

    , Oct 23, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,793
    Dudley Hanks
    Oct 23, 2008
  3. Dudley Hanks

    Powershot SX10

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 14, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    33
    Views:
    1,925
  4. Nick

    Any thoughts/comparisons on Canon SX1 and SX10

    Nick, Feb 28, 2009, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    625
    83LowRider
    Mar 3, 2009
  5. ymg200

    Sunpak PZ42X does not work with Canon SX10 IS

    ymg200, Jul 9, 2009, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    931
    ASAAR
    Aug 6, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page