    etc
    Currently have an old Olympus Stylus zoom 115

    The Canon sure sounds great :)

    P.Schuman, Jun 18, 2007

  2. P.Schuman

    Eric Lew Guest

    P.Schuman wrote:
    > well - just got the SD1000 for father's day.
    > Have not cracked the box & seal as yet... just reading the various reviews,
    > etc
    > Currently have an old Olympus Stylus zoom 115
    >
    > The Canon sure sounds great :)

    I got the Canon SD1000 recently. Image quality is quite decent for such
    a small PS. I was expecting soft corners, and I am pleasantly surprised
    by the corner sharpness. Chromatic aberration is present as expected,
    but it is not too bad.

    On the downside, my SD1000's metering is sometimes crazy. In bright
    light, the camera would select a very high shutter speed (such as 1/1000
    instead of 125), resulting in very dark pictures. This is independent
    of camera settings - auto mode, "manual" mode, evaluative,
    center-weighted, spot metering, ...

    Also, the video recording in bright scenes invariably picks up a lot of
    flare. A white T-shirt in bright sunlight would create a big vertical
    band of light. Totally useless. Video indoors is much better because
    the flare is not present.

    I'm thinking of returning the camera because of these two flaws. If
    these are isolated problems, I may ask to exchange my camera for a new
    one, hoping that the latter will not exhibit these flaws.

    Eric Lew, Jun 20, 2007