    attributes of a flash drive.
    With the new Canon SD1000, XP only shows it as a "camera" without the
    attributes...

    P.Schuman, Dec 4, 2007

  2. P.Schuman

    Guest

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:18:58 -0600, in rec.photo.digital "P.Schuman"
    <> wrote:

    >We have a Canon Powershot SD1000 with a SD 2gb card..
    >Using Windows XP, with or without the "wizard"
    >there is no way to show the "capacity" of the card, max & remaining.
    >
    >With all my other digital cameras, I'd just plug in the cable,
    >and the camera would pop up as a removeable drive.... with all the
    >attributes of a flash drive.
    >With the new Canon SD1000, XP only shows it as a "camera" without the
    >attributes...

    That's particular to Canon. Get a $20 card reader.

    , Dec 4, 2007

  3. P.Schuman

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:18:58 -0600, "P.Schuman"
    <> wrote:

    >We have a Canon Powershot SD1000 with a SD 2gb card..
    >Using Windows XP, with or without the "wizard"
    >there is no way to show the "capacity" of the card, max & remaining.

    I don't have the SD1000, but other Powershots S3IS and SD850IS. These
    cameras show the estimate of remaining pictures on the main display.
    If you select the format card option you can see how full it is, then
    cancel the format. Might work on the SD1000. Just be careful not to
    format.

    Or just get a 4gb card, and you won't be filling it up so fast.

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Dec 4, 2007
  4. P.Schuman

    Morton Guest

    P.Schuman wrote:
    > We have a Canon Powershot SD1000 with a SD 2gb card..
    > Using Windows XP, with or without the "wizard"
    > there is no way to show the "capacity" of the card, max & remaining.
    >
    > With all my other digital cameras, I'd just plug in the cable,
    > and the camera would pop up as a removeable drive.... with all the
    > attributes of a flash drive.
    > With the new Canon SD1000, XP only shows it as a "camera" without the
    > attributes...

    Do not ever use a cable to transfer your in-camera pix to a computer or
    recording device. If there is a power problem with the battery, then all
    your pix can be lost. Get an inexpensive ($10-20) card reader for your
    size memory card, remove the card from the camera, insert the card into
    the reader, then plug the reader into your USB socket or whatever.

    Good luck.

    Morton

    Morton, Dec 5, 2007
  5. Morton <> wrote:
    > P.Schuman wrote:
    >> We have a Canon Powershot SD1000 with a SD 2gb card..
    >> Using Windows XP, with or without the "wizard"
    >> there is no way to show the "capacity" of the card, max & remaining.
    >>
    >> With all my other digital cameras, I'd just plug in the cable,
    >> and the camera would pop up as a removeable drive.... with all the
    >> attributes of a flash drive.
    >> With the new Canon SD1000, XP only shows it as a "camera" without the
    >> attributes...

    > Do not ever use a cable to transfer your in-camera pix to a computer or
    > recording device. If there is a power problem with the battery, then all
    > your pix can be lost. Get an inexpensive ($10-20) card reader for your
    > size memory card, remove the card from the camera, insert the card into
    > the reader, then plug the reader into your USB socket or whatever.

    Or if your camera has an external power option, simply plug it into
    that as the same time as plugging it into the computer.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Dec 5, 2007
  6. P.Schuman

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:31:40 -0500
    Morton <> wrote:

    > Do not ever use a cable to transfer your in-camera pix to a computer
    > or recording device. If there is a power problem with the battery,
    > then all your pix can be lost.

    Where do people pick up nonsense like this? Oh, I forgot. They get
    it on the Internet! :)

    > Get an inexpensive ($10-20) card
    > reader for your size memory card, remove the card from the camera,
    > insert the card into the reader, then plug the reader into your USB
    > socket or whatever.

    Yup. A card reader is a lot faster and avoids draining the camera's
    battery. Just don't buy the cheapest no-name reader you can find.
    There's some crap out there.

    But, if the OP is philosophically opposed to card readers, simply
    installing the software that came with his camera will likely solve
    his problem. Using Windows brings a host of other problems, but at
    least this one is easy to fix.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Dec 8, 2007