canon powershot s70 busted!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dmedhora@gmail.com, May 26, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
    Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.

    Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).

    Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!

    Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
    wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.

    On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
    come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
    door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.

    But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
    me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!

    Symptoms:
    The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
    on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
    The shutter release stopped working.

    No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
    power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.

    I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
    of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
    solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
    past 1 year that I bought it.

    Is there anything I can do?
    Thanks!
    -D
    , May 26, 2007

  2. Chuck Guest

    Canon refuses to repair it for free after the warrenty is history. So what
    else is new!
    If it bothers you, don't buy a Canon camera again.

    Chuck, May 27, 2007

  3. megapix Guest

    On May 26, 5:14 pm, wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
    > Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.
    >
    > Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).
    >
    > Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!
    >
    > Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
    > wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.
    >
    > On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
    > come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
    > door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.
    >
    > But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
    > me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
    > on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
    > The shutter release stopped working.
    >
    > No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
    > power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.
    >
    > I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
    > of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
    > solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
    > past 1 year that I bought it.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do?
    > Thanks!
    > -D

    Buy a new camera. You are the one not Canon that should pay for the
    repair. Canon's warr. is for defects only, not breakage. The symptoms
    you report sound like dirt/dust around lens or slight impact damage.
    Canon does more for their customers when it comes to repair than any
    other manufacture.
    megapix, May 28, 2007
  4. Guest

    On 28 May, 13:09, megapix <> wrote:
    > On May 26, 5:14 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > Hi All,

    > > I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
    > > Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.

    > > Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).

    > > Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!

    > > Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
    > > wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.

    > > On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
    > > come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
    > > door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.

    > > But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
    > > me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!

    > > Symptoms:
    > > The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
    > > on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
    > > The shutter release stopped working.

    > > No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
    > > power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.

    > > I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
    > > of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
    > > solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
    > > past 1 year that I bought it.

    > > Is there anything I can do?
    > > Thanks!
    > > -D

    > Buy a new camera. You are the one not Canon that should pay for the
    > repair. Canon's warr. is for defects only, not breakage. The symptoms
    > you report sound like dirt/dust around lens or slight impact damage.
    > Canon does more for their customers when it comes to repair than any
    > other manufacture.- Hide quoted text -

    Well actually there really wasn't ever any impact damage. In fact
    throughout
    my use of this camera, even in cold weather and snowy places, or just
    normal places, the door of the camera would not zoom out the lens.
    Its real sensitive to dust. For example if I would put it in my coat
    pocket
    and there would be some dust in there, it would affect the camera.

    I would like to ask whether it would be easy for me to open the camera
    on my own, clean it out and then try it out.

    What do you think is gone bad at the moment? There just doesn't seem
    to be any power. Its d.e.d.
    Is this a short circuit or electrical problem? Or a cleaning problem ?
    And can I like fix it myself? :)
    Thanks
    , May 28, 2007
  5. BUDMIKE6546

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Mine just did the same thing over the weekend. Called Canon and they said it must be a faulty switch and that I'd have to send it in. So, since it was not under warranty and I had them fix my S50 after I had opened it, I figured "why not". There are 4 screws on the right including the silver one for the tying on the hand cord and 4 on the left including one under the rubber boot and two on the bottom. After opening it gently, I found the switch which is small and white. I pressed it several times and it worked fine, so I assumed that it was the plastic bar (it will be obvious) that was not making contact. I gently bent the plastic a little forward so that it would make better contact. I replaced the screws and it is working fine.

    Wish I could have taken digital pictures, but this is my only camera.

    Mike
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
    BUDMIKE6546, May 29, 2007
  6. Miles Guest

    * wrote:
    > On 28 May, 13:09, megapix <> wrote:
    >> On May 26, 5:14 pm, wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
    >>> Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.
    >>> Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).
    >>> Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!
    >>> Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
    >>> wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.
    >>> On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
    >>> come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
    >>> door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.
    >>> But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
    >>> me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!
    >>> Symptoms:
    >>> The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
    >>> on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
    >>> The shutter release stopped working.
    >>> No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
    >>> power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.
    >>> I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
    >>> of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
    >>> solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
    >>> past 1 year that I bought it.
    >>> Is there anything I can do?
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> -D

    >> Buy a new camera. You are the one not Canon that should pay for the
    >> repair. Canon's warr. is for defects only, not breakage. The symptoms
    >> you report sound like dirt/dust around lens or slight impact damage.
    >> Canon does more for their customers when it comes to repair than any
    >> other manufacture.- Hide quoted text -

    > Well actually there really wasn't ever any impact damage. In fact
    > throughout
    > my use of this camera, even in cold weather and snowy places, or just
    > normal places, the door of the camera would not zoom out the lens.
    > Its real sensitive to dust. For example if I would put it in my coat
    > pocket
    > and there would be some dust in there, it would affect the camera.
    >
    > I would like to ask whether it would be easy for me to open the camera
    > on my own, clean it out and then try it out.
    >
    > What do you think is gone bad at the moment? There just doesn't seem
    > to be any power. Its d.e.d.
    > Is this a short circuit or electrical problem? Or a cleaning problem ?
    > And can I like fix it myself? :)
    > Thanks

    I've been using an S70 for 2 years and without a problem. Of course, I
    keep it in it's case along with a spare battery and memory. The case
    unzips very quickly and then I simply throw the strap over my wrist and
    snap away.
    Miles
    Miles, Jun 19, 2007