    I am assuming that this camera is on the street as I post this and hope that
    some users might respond; but any response will be welcome. Thanks in
    advance!
    Charles Schuler, Apr 12, 2004

  2. "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message
    > My Olympus C-2000Z is crapping out. It's been my take-along, casual

    camera.
    > I use a 300D when I am wearing my "serious photographer's hat." My

    question
    > is, given that the 300D will be available when needed, what do you folks
    > think about the S500? The reviews that I have read don't give me any

    strong
    > impressions ... one way or the other.

    In terms of sub-compact 5 Mp cameras, the best two are the Canon S500 and
    the Konica-Minolta G500. In terms of optical quality the two are about
    equal.

    The S500 has an AF-assist lamp which the G500 lacks.
    The S500 uses compact flash versus SD & Memory Stick on the G500.

    I paid $439, free shipping, for the S500. However it hasn't arrived yet, or
    even shipped yet, due to the Passover holiday. Little did Pharaoh know, that
    his expulsion of the Jews from Egypt would affect the U.S. retail camera
    business so much!

    Both the S500 and the G500 won the coveted Nordic Group Best Buy award.
    Really it boils down to whether or not the extra $110 is worth it for the
    extra features. To me it was.

    http://nordicgroup.us/digicam/
    Steven M. Scharf, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Charles Schuler

    Joe Guest

    On 04/12/2004 05:14 PM, Charles Schuler said:
    > My Olympus C-2000Z is crapping out. It's been my take-along, casual camera.
    > I use a 300D when I am wearing my "serious photographer's hat." My question
    > is, given that the 300D will be available when needed, what do you folks
    > think about the S500? The reviews that I have read don't give me any strong
    > impressions ... one way or the other.
    >
    > I am assuming that this camera is on the street as I post this and hope that
    > some users might respond; but any response will be welcome. Thanks in
    > advance!

    I got my s500 2 weeks ago. To sum it up: I love the camera and
    highly recommend it. It gives you great quality at a very compact
    size, which was an important consideration for me.

    I have nothing bad to say about it, but if you have any specific
    questions, ask away...

    --
    Joe
    http://www.joekaz.net/