    resolution , the photos have only 96 DPI resolution!!! Don't confuse
    this with the size, wich can be 800x600, 1024 x 768..etc.

    Anybody has any idea how to modify this, or its a fixed resolution?

    cuscorules, Dec 15, 2003

  2. cuscorules

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    That 96dpi has nothing to do with anything. What counts is the pixel size.
    If you're printing from Photoshop, you use Image Size (with no resampling)
    to set the dinensions (inches) of the print. You can then see the dpi change
    in that window to accomodate that print size.

    Mick Ruthven, Dec 15, 2003

  3. cuscorules wrote:

    > I just got this camera, Canon PowerShot S45, and made some pics.
    > Surprise, even though I put it to take pictures at "SuperFine"(max)
    > resolution , the photos have only 96 DPI resolution!!! Don't confuse
    > this with the size, wich can be 800x600, 1024 x 768..etc.
    >
    > Anybody has any idea how to modify this, or its a fixed resolution?

    Cameras don't take pictures at 96 or any other PPI (not dpi). They just
    take aaaa X bbbb Pixels.
    Then they compress the image (Superfine, Fine, Normal).
    But the number of pixels does not change, it remains aaaa X bbbb pixels
    That's all you have to worry about
    Photo editors frequently DISPLAY a reduced size (12.5 25, 33% etc.) of
    the image at 72 or 96 pixels/inch .
    But this is just a booking convention used by the editor.
    ONLY when you decide what size you want to PRINT the image does ppi come
    into play.
    DPI is still another beast. It relates to how many ink DOTS of ink a
    printer can place on a linear inch of paper.
    Higher DPI translates to smaller droplets which usually means higher
    resolution in the PRINT.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Dec 16, 2003
  4. On 2003-12-15, cuscorules <> wrote:
    > I just got this camera, Canon PowerShot S45, and made some pics.
    > Surprise, even though I put it to take pictures at "SuperFine"(max)
    > resolution , the photos have only 96 DPI resolution!!! Don't confuse
    > this with the size, wich can be 800x600, 1024 x 768..etc.
    >
    > Anybody has any idea how to modify this, or its a fixed resolution?

    Digicams don't have any fixed resolution. The image format
    might support / require a dpi, and they just put in a random
    number for resolution. You should be able to replace it in most
    image manipulation software.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Dec 16, 2003
  5. cuscorules

    Faiser Guest

    Similar dpi/ppi questions pop up often.
    You may want to check http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html for a
    comprehensive answer!

    Faiser, Dec 16, 2003
  6. cuscorules

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    (cuscorules) wrote in news:28c43e1c.0312151419.60cb01f6
    @posting.google.com:

    > I just got this camera, Canon PowerShot S45, and made some pics.
    > Surprise, even though I put it to take pictures at "SuperFine"(max)
    > resolution , the photos have only 96 DPI resolution!!! Don't confuse
    > this with the size, wich can be 800x600, 1024 x 768..etc.
    >
    > Anybody has any idea how to modify this, or its a fixed resolution?

    Here is a good article on DPI vs pixels.

    http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

    Fuzzy Logic, Dec 16, 2003