    rechargabe batteries for $275 CDN. Any opinion about the camera and the
    price?

    Edson

    Edson Gray, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Edson Gray

    Dan Birchall Guest

    (Edson Gray) wrote:
    > Someone here is offering the Canon PowerShot S20 3.3 mp with a couple of
    > rechargabe batteries for $275 CDN. Any opinion about the camera and the
    > price?

    Hi Edson,

    I bought an S20 in April 2003 with 1 battery for US$200ish. The S20 is
    from the same "generation" as the S10 and the A50 (which I owned previously)
    but was the highest-resolution model of the three. (At that time, the
    digital ELPHs had not come out, and those three models were the smallest,
    lightest digital cameras.)

    In my case, I had an underwater bag which fit my A50, and wanted to replace
    it with another model the same size, so as not to need a new underwater bag.

    The S20 is a decent camera overall. It uses Canon's NB-5H batteries
    (you can get chargers, and you can also get higher-capacity generic ones to
    give you more shots per charge) OR non-rechargable 245 / 2CR5 type lithium
    photo batteries. It's got a 2x zoom, a mostly metal body, etc. It takes
    good pictures, works with Canon's "PhotoStitch" software for panoramas, and
    so on. It fits in a cargo pocket.

    That said, it's widely regarded as having a noticeable "blue shift" outdoors,
    and is no less susceptible to chromatic aberration than its contemporaries.
    More recent models tend to offer more features (movie mode, more manual
    control, better zoom, etc.) so I'd suggest comparing the S20 to whatever
    A-#0 (A-40/60/70/75/80 etc.) models might be available around you, to see
    which you think is best for you.

    -Dan

    --
    Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words, technology

    Dan Birchall, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Edson Gray

    Peter Berlin Guest

    I still own my S20. I have since purchased a G2 and a pro1
    over the years.

    The S20 is a good camera and took excellent photos. My main
    complain was the lack of long battery life. 65 shots, mixed
    flash and use of the LCD was about the life expectancy of
    the rechange.

    I seem to think that there are new cameras in the Canon line
    that would exceed the specs of the S20 for a few bucks more.

    I would try to negotiate a better price or look for a newer
    Canon. Try to buy a G2...I still enjoy shooting that camera
    and with 4 mp and the much more powerfull onboard flash, it
    would be worth a few more dollars more for sure!

    Peter

    --
    Peter Berlin
    Peter Berlin's Travel Center http://peterberlin.com