    I like to take pictures from monopod so remote should be OK!

    Thanks in advance,
    Boban

    Bill Lukic Duke, Jul 12, 2005

  2. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:14:56 +0200, Bill Lukic Duke <> wrote:

    |Is it worth the price for S2 (or S1 is quite good 4 the money)?
    |I like 12x (or 10x) zoom and image stabilizer and of course
    |cordless remote...
    |I like to take pictures from monopod so remote should be OK!
    |
    |Thanks in advance,
    |Boban

    I have had OLYMPUS D460 and I liked it much. I have noticed that
    indoor pictures from friends A70 was a little bit yellow toned...
    I have downloaded some sample photos but I don't see any sign
    of a exposed yellow... Comment on this?

    Bill Lukic Duke, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Bill Lukic Duke

    Mark² Guest

    "Bill Lukic Duke" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:14:56 +0200, Bill Lukic Duke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > |Is it worth the price for S2 (or S1 is quite good 4 the money)?
    > |I like 12x (or 10x) zoom and image stabilizer and of course
    > |cordless remote...
    > |I like to take pictures from monopod so remote should be OK!
    > |
    > |Thanks in advance,
    > |Boban
    >
    > I have had OLYMPUS D460 and I liked it much. I have noticed that
    > indoor pictures from friends A70 was a little bit yellow toned...
    > I have downloaded some sample photos but I don't see any sign
    > of a exposed yellow... Comment on this?

    Learn to use white balance settings according to the light you're shooting
    under.
    Yellow tones, blue, etc. are usually white balance issues.

    Mark², Jul 12, 2005
  4. Certainly the question on the lips of all of those in some Sudanese refugee
    camp. Well, since I'm a spoiled rotten American, I answered that question as
    a yes. I sold off my S1 IS outfit on eBay and bought a brand new shiny S2
    IS. It is a better camera generally. It's faster and easier to get tough
    action shots with the S2 IS. The extra megapixels are especially nice when
    you have to crop. The extra zoom is very nice too. The S2 IS is better in
    low light and the macro capability is hard to beat. I don't miss the
    wireless remote or the auto-pop-up flash. It's actually better with the
    simple manual lift on the flash. The addition of full fidelity stereo sound
    on videos is nice too. The IS on the S2 seems a little better when panning
    or following than the S1. Like I said; it's a btter camera generally.

    Bye.

    PS. Don't forget the true USB 2.0 on the S2 IS. Very fast off-loads!

    David Sommers, Jul 12, 2005
  5. "David Sommers" <> wrote in message
    > Certainly the question on the lips of all of those in some Sudanese
    > refugee camp. Well, since I'm a spoiled rotten American, I answered that
    > question as a yes. I sold off my S1 IS outfit on eBay and bought a brand
    > new shiny S2 IS. It is a better camera generally. It's faster and easier
    > to get tough action shots with the S2 IS. The extra megapixels are
    > especially nice when you have to crop. The extra zoom is very nice too.
    > The S2 IS is better in low light and the macro capability is hard to beat.
    > I don't miss the wireless remote or the auto-pop-up flash. It's actually
    > better with the simple manual lift on the flash. The addition of full
    > fidelity stereo sound on videos is nice too. The IS on the S2 seems a
    > little better when panning or following than the S1. Like I said; it's a
    > btter camera generally.
    >
    > Bye.
    >
    > PS. Don't forget the true USB 2.0 on the S2 IS. Very fast off-loads!

    The S2 also offers best-in-class movie mode...actually better than a VHS
    camcorder.

    Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig, Jul 13, 2005
  6. Bill Lukic Duke

    G.B. White Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:13:19 -0700, Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig wrote:
    >> PS. Don't forget the true USB 2.0 on the S2 IS. Very fast off-loads

    > The S2 also offers best-in-class movie mode...
    > actually better than a VHS camcorder.

    Are you sure about that? If so it would be amazing?

    Are the voice and video in sync too?

    My experience has been with digital cameras (mostly Nikon) that the voice
    and video are not in sync which makes any face-talking video from my Nikon
    digital cameras nearly useless.

    One point to make about the S1 vs the S2 is the loss of compact flash
    (which isn't a loss to some people I admit).

    Another point is that the S2 won't automatically pop up the flash when
    required (again, not considered a loss by some people).

    Also, I don't think the Canon S1 IS can take both a video and a still shot
    at the same time whereas the Canon S2 IS can do both simultaneously.

    Thank God they both still use AA batteries although I think the S2 gets 50
    or so more shots IIRC out of the same 4 batteries.

    G.B. White, Jul 13, 2005
  7. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:59:38 GMT, "David Sommers" <> wrote:

    |Certainly the question on the lips of all of those in some Sudanese refugee
    |camp. Well, since I'm a spoiled rotten American, I answered that question as
    |a yes. I sold off my S1 IS outfit on eBay and bought a brand new shiny S2
    |IS. It is a better camera generally. It's faster and easier to get tough
    |action shots with the S2 IS. The extra megapixels are especially nice when
    |you have to crop. The extra zoom is very nice too. The S2 IS is better in
    |low light and the macro capability is hard to beat. I don't miss the
    |wireless remote or the auto-pop-up flash. It's actually better with the
    |simple manual lift on the flash. The addition of full fidelity stereo sound
    |on videos is nice too. The IS on the S2 seems a little better when panning
    |or following than the S1. Like I said; it's a btter camera generally.
    |
    |Bye.
    |
    |PS. Don't forget the true USB 2.0 on the S2 IS. Very fast off-loads!

    Thank you very much on your answer. Quite answer I was looking for.
    But in our country (SCG), money can be the problem. I will try to
    purchase the S2. Anyway You have been VERY helpful, thanks.
    Is this email of yours valid?

    Regards,
    Boban

    Bill Lukic Duke, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Bill Lukic Duke

    Lisa Horton Guest

    "G.B. White" wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:13:19 -0700, Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig wrote:
    > >> PS. Don't forget the true USB 2.0 on the S2 IS. Very fast off-loads

    > > The S2 also offers best-in-class movie mode...
    > > actually better than a VHS camcorder.

    > Are you sure about that? If so it would be amazing?
    >
    > Are the voice and video in sync too?
    >
    > My experience has been with digital cameras (mostly Nikon) that the voice
    > and video are not in sync which makes any face-talking video from my Nikon
    > digital cameras nearly useless.

    Actually even the S1's video is clearly superior to a basic camcorder,
    with sound and picture in perfect sync :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jul 13, 2005
  9. On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:15:22 GMT, "G.B. White"
    <> wrote:

    >Thank God they both still use AA batteries although I think the S2 gets 50
    >or so more shots IIRC out of the same 4 batteries.

    Strange dogma. In reality there is no such clearcut advantage.
    The 4 AA batteries have the clear disadvantage that they make
    the camera bigger and heavier than if it used a lithium ion
    battery.

    I do see the other side as well, I'm only saying that it is a
    tradeoff, where it is far from clear, which is overall better.

    I still use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1-2, which uses a small
    Li-ion battery. I admire its small size and low weight. I once
    bought a spare battery, only to find that I never used it, so I
    sold it off again. The camera is still running perfectly on its
    first single battery. So what am I missing?

    Of course there can be a case in which AA batteries were better,
    such cases are easy to construct. Still it is interesting that I
    have never experienced even one of such cases, even though I use
    the camera in extreme conditions, like out in the bush in Africa
    (see www.michna.com/kenya2005/ for samples).

    So think twice, before you fall all too easily for the all too
    obvious advantage of the 4 AA batteries.

    That said, they would have an advantage for me too, because I
    use some other devices which run on AA. Still no big deal.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 13, 2005