    of a Canon PowerShot S1 IS? I have been through the manual and Canon's
    web page but could not find the information. I hate to waste money on
    a faster card than the camera can use. Thanks.

    dh, Jan 19, 2005

  2. dh

    Tom Guest

    "dh" <> wrote in message news:p...
    > Anyone know what speed CF card is needed to get full performance out
    > of a Canon PowerShot S1 IS? I have been through the manual and Canon's
    > web page but could not find the information. I hate to waste money on
    > a faster card than the camera can use. Thanks.

    For video mode at maximum resolution/quality/frame rate, your CF
    card must have a write speed of at least 1.87MB/s, which equates
    to a little over 12x. Add file overhead etc and anything 16x or
    better should work fine.

    But you should get the fastest memory you can afford, since you
    will see performance improvements in several cases with this faster
    memory. When the card's internal memory buffer is exceeded --
    such as writing video clips -- the faster the CF memory, the better
    the performance.

    We saw drastic improvements in our S1 IS when we switched
    from Sandisk to Sandisk Ultra II.

    Tom, Jan 19, 2005

  3. In Message-ID:<> posted on
    Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:19:39 -0500, dh wrote:

    >Anyone know what speed CF card is needed to get full performance out
    >of a Canon PowerShot S1 IS? I have been through the manual and Canon's
    >web page but could not find the information. I hate to waste money on
    >a faster card than the camera can use. Thanks.

    It's not a waste when you consider the possibility of going to a faster
    writing camera someday. I found that 6Mb/s cards accommodate anything my
    S1-IS can write in real time (30fps large avi) whereas the 4 Mb/s cards
    will time out the movie mode when the internal buffer fills.
    FWIW: I was unsuccessful in trying to obtain a definite write speed from
    the Canon tech-heads, maybe you can add your voice to their growing list
    of curious and frustrated customers: (800) 828-4040
    --

    JK

    Justín Käse, Jan 19, 2005
  4. dh