Canon Powershot G9 - max write speed and advice on which SDHC card tobuy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by myemail.an@googlemail.com, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    being about to purchase a Canon Powershot G9, I need to decide which
    SDHC card to get.

    I'd like to shoot in RAW mode quite a bit, so I'm thinking of a 4GB
    card at least.

    Are you aware of any speed comparison tests between the different
    cards? Specifications are usually very different from actual
    performance!

    Also, do you know what the max write speed of the camera? I couldn't
    find this information anywhere, not even on the Canon official site,
    yet this is probably more important than the speed of the card itself,
    because there would be little point in having a very fast card if its
    max speed is not supported by the camera.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

    , Jan 15, 2008

  2. John Navas Guest

    Re: Canon Powershot G9 - max write speed and advice on which SDHC card to buy

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:26:38 -0800 (PST), ""
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Are you aware of any speed comparison tests between the different
    >cards? Specifications are usually very different from actual
    >performance!

    Specifications are actually pretty reliable. Suggest you just buy the
    fastest card you can find and not worry about the rest. The best of the
    inexpensive no name cards are as fast or faster than the name brands.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Jan 15, 2008

  3. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > being about to purchase a Canon Powershot G9, I need to decide which
    > SDHC card to get.
    >
    > I'd like to shoot in RAW mode quite a bit, so I'm thinking of a 4GB
    > card at least.
    >
    > Are you aware of any speed comparison tests between the different
    > cards? Specifications are usually very different from actual
    > performance!
    >
    > Also, do you know what the max write speed of the camera? I couldn't
    > find this information anywhere, not even on the Canon official site,
    > yet this is probably more important than the speed of the card itself,
    > because there would be little point in having a very fast card if its
    > max speed is not supported by the camera.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

    Even if the camera cannot take advantage of the highest speed cards, it
    is still a good idea to get the fastest speed card you can comfortably
    afford. Downloading 4GB to your computer from a slow card is a royal PIA
    Fortunately, most (but not all) high capacity cards are pretty fast.
    But Check it out to make sure.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 17, 2008