    Thanks,
    --
    Chris

    Chris Szilagyi, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Chris Szilagyi

    GovtLawyer Guest

    I have been looking at purchasing the Powershot G5 for a while, but
    >recently the Canon Digital Rebel caught my eye. I already own a Rebel
    >II which I've been very happy with for many years. I mostly do
    >average shooting, but it is nice having a better camera when it is
    >needed (such as low-light or nighttime photography). I've read
    >reviews and lots of postings on the Powershot G5 and Digital Rebel,
    >but would like some additional feedback on the advantages of the
    >Digital Rebel (such as how good it is in low-light, quality, ease of
    >use, etc....).
    >
    >I appreciate all feedback.

    They will both take very nice photos. The significant difference is that one
    is a point & shoot, and the other an SLR. It is like comparing apples and
    oranges.

    GovtLawyer, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Chris Szilagyi

    k Guest

    neither of those are good in low light.

    k, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Chris Szilagyi

    Mark M Guest

    "k" <> wrote in message
    > neither of those are good in low light.

    You obviously haven't tried the Canon CMOS sensor at night.
    It is one of the best on the market for low light exposures.

    Mark M, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Chris Szilagyi

    DJ Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:18:24 GMT, "k" <> wrote:

    >neither of those are good in low light.

    Disagree! By what comparison do you make that assertion? The 300D is excellent
    in low light. Even, maybe especially, at ISO1600 it gives better results than
    anything else I've seen. Way better than film.

    dj

    DJ, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Well, as GovtLawyer mentioned, it is difficult to compare these two, but I
    am trying to imagine how you came to the choice between those two:

    I also was going for some years with an SLR (Canon EOS 500N) and now mainly
    doing with a digital "point & shoot" but would rather name it a digital
    compact camera (Canon PowerShot S50). The second reason why I think I can
    understand your question is that I also would like to have the Canon Digital
    Rebel.

    The main reason why I would like to have the Digital Rebel is because I have
    a set of lenses that I use with my SLR (Zoom 28-80, 70-300mm, Macro) as well
    as other accessories like external flash and about twelve filters. If I
    could use all this when making digital pictures it would be very nice as
    these things rest for quite a long time now.

    What I read about the G5 and the Digital Rebel the Digital Rebel takes
    slightly better pictures but I am not sure if that makes a difference if you
    are doing average shootings. But you can look at http://www.dpreview.com
    where you even find some sample pictures in original format (besides more
    information and in-depth reviews for both cameras).

    The G5 is able to take movies including sound which the digital rebel is
    not. I don't know if this would be interesting for you - for me it was and I
    take movies (about 5% of taken pictures I take movies now).

    What changed since I switched to digital fotography is that I take my
    digital camera more often with me as I did with my older camera(s) because
    the pictures do not produce additional costs as in former times. So you also
    should take this in consideration that you will make much more pictures than
    before. Therefore it might be the better choice to choose a smaller camera
    than the digital rebel - the G5 for example (the S50 is even smaller and I
    can put it in the pocket of my jackets and shirts).

    What I miss on the most digital compact cameras is zoom. The G5 has 35 - 140
    which might be enough for you. I was used to have 300 on my SLR with
    appropriate tele. But you can come over this by using highest resolution
    when taking the picture and cropping out the wanted detail later on your PC.

    I decided the S50 rather than the G5 (or the S30 rather than the G3 in
    former times) because I had problems using my external Metz flash with the
    G3 so the external flash adapter of the G3 was worthless for me and so I put
    priority to small size.

    To come to a conclusion, I would prefer the G5 or even S50 (smaller but less
    zoom) mostly because when going to digital the number of taken pictures
    increases and therefore also the desire to take the camera with you
    increases. Both cameras (G5 and S50) have very good menu (easy to use) and a
    lot of features. And this even as I have a lot of accessories which
    would/should match with the Digital Rebel. If I wouldn't have to take care
    about money I would buy both :). Depending on the accessories you have it
    might be the better choice for you to go with the Digital Rebel. Important
    if you have an external flash: Try it with the camera in the shop! Same may
    apply to other accessories you have.

    Greetings, Martin.

    Martin Wildam, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Chris Szilagyi

    Mark B. Guest

    "k" <> wrote in message
    > neither of those are good in low light.

    Baloney. The D-Reb at ISO 800 has far less noise than any point-n-shoot at
    ISO 400.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 3, 2004
  8. Chris Szilagyi

    jriegle Guest

    Forget the cameras with the smaller sensors for low light use. The digital
    SLRs (Canon or otherwise) are the way to go. They can be set to much higher
    sensitivities while delivering much less noise than the small sensor
    cameras.
    John

    jriegle, Jan 4, 2004
  9. I have never used the digital Rebel, but I have a G5 and absolutely love it.
    I have had excellent results in low light too. It performs well in every
    situation I have used it and the resulting pictures are excellent. I do not
    print them. but am using them to project for slide shows. So far I am amazed
    at the quality, convenience, ease of use, battery life, and the fact that
    with a 256mb card and set at normal quality I have 180 shots. I love it.

    Frank Rome, NY

    Frank Calidonna, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Chris Szilagyi

    Whatevah Guest

    Chris Szilagyi wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been looking at purchasing the Powershot G5 for a while, but
    > recently the Canon Digital Rebel caught my eye. I already own a Rebel
    > II which I've been very happy with for many years. I mostly do
    > average shooting, but it is nice having a better camera when it is
    > needed (such as low-light or nighttime photography). I've read
    > reviews and lots of postings on the Powershot G5 and Digital Rebel,
    > but would like some additional feedback on the advantages of the
    > Digital Rebel (such as how good it is in low-light, quality, ease of
    > use, etc....).
    >
    > I appreciate all feedback.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Chris

    remove all preconceptions about the "Rebel". They named it the Digital
    Rebel because Canon is marketing it as a consumer camera, as the Rebel
    is the consumer film SLR. that's about all they share.

    Once you start using the Digital Rebel, you won't go back to the Rebel II.

    on the G5 vs Digital Rebel topic... the Rebel is far above the G5 in
    every aspect. it brings all the good points from SLRs (depth of field,
    faster focusing, etc) as well as better light sensitivity and ease of
    use. some people may say that the digital rebel does not do movie mode,
    but if you want videos... get a video camera. the quality from a $300
    video camera will be far better than that of a $700 digital camera.

    --
    Whatevah / Jerry Horn
    Jerry {at} whatevah.com (working address)

    Whatevah, Jan 4, 2004
  11. Watching the thread I guess we should begin to ask more detailed what you
    mean with "average shooting" and how important the low light capability is
    for you in reality. You mentioned that the low light performance has
    importance for you but I don't think that this is the only thing you care
    about when buying a digital camera. Or is that the only reason you thinked
    about switching to digital?

    So tell us more about your current fotographical work/hobby, priorities and
    desires you have for digital fotographing so we can give you more
    comprehensive and matching tips.

    However I enjoy the low light performance discussion because there are a lot
    of new things for me. So thanks to you all guys!

    Martin Wildam, Jan 4, 2004
  12. Hello and thank you very much for the information provided so far. As
    to your question regarding low light, I have in the past done some
    nighttime photography or stuff in low light where a tripod and timed
    exposure was needed, mostly outdoor. With the Rebel II this worked
    great. Another thing I plan on doing is some photography through a
    Celestron telescope (NexStar 5i). This is the big plus with the
    Digital Rebel in that there is a SLR adapter which would work with the
    telescope, whereas the G5 adapter isn't quite as good as the lens
    needs to stay on the camera. So I am assuming the Rebel would be much
    better for this purpose.

    To answer your question the main reason I am switching to digital is
    like many others, the convenience of a digital camera (no film or
    developing, direct interface with the computer, etc). I guess when it
    comes down to it, I would like a digital camera to do what the Rebel
    II does. Ease of use for everyday shooting as well as high quality in
    low light photography (through a telescope, etc).

    I really appreciate all of the feedback.

    Thanks again,
    --
    Chris

    Chris Szilagyi, Jan 4, 2004
  13. Chris Szilagyi

    Woody W. Guest

    Chris,
    You want the Digital Rebel. You Need the Digital Rebel. Buy the Digital
    Rebel. It will make you very happy. It will do everything you want it to,
    better than you expect, and FAR better than the G5 will. (Not that the G5 is
    bad, just that the Digital Rebel is in a completely different league)

    Woody W., Jan 7, 2004
  14. Chris Szilagyi

    Guest

    "Martin Wildam" <> wrote:

> [...]
    >former times) because I had problems using my external Metz flash with the
    >G3 so the external flash adapter of the G3 was worthless for me and so I put
    >priority to small size.
    >
    >To come to a conclusion, I would prefer the G5 or even S50 (smaller but less
    >zoom) mostly because when going to digital the number of taken pictures
    >increases and therefore also the desire to take the camera with you
    >increases. Both cameras (G5 and S50) have very good menu (easy to use) and a
    >lot of features. And this even as I have a lot of accessories which
    >would/should match with the Digital Rebel. If I wouldn't have to take care
    >about money I would buy both :). Depending on the accessories you have it
    >might be the better choice for you to go with the Digital Rebel. Important
    >if you have an external flash: Try it with the camera in the shop! Same may

    You can compare Digital Rebel photos with photos taken with a G2 in my
    dbase galleries. http://www.pbase.com/wumhenry/galleries
    wumhenry

    , Jan 7, 2004
  15. Chris Szilagyi

    BPO Guest

    what program did you use to create your website? I like the layout and ease of
    picture navigation.

    BPO

    BPO, Jan 7, 2004
  16. Chris Szilagyi

    Alex Guest

    On 3 Jan 2004 13:50:14 -0800, (Chris Szilagyi)
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have been looking at purchasing the Powershot G5 for a while, but
    >recently the Canon Digital Rebel caught my eye.

    Since you own a Rebel, you must have lenses. If you like your
    selection of said lenses - get the Rebel.

    Note, though, that many features you might find on an SLR are locked
    on the Digital Rebel (the features are actually there, physically, but
    the camera's controls are prevented from accessing them). Otherwise
    Canon might stop selling 10Ds because the Rebel is much cheaper and
    the only real difference is the Rebel's plastic construction (which is
    still a selling point for the 10D).

    Alex, Jan 8, 2004
  17. Chris Szilagyi

    scott Guest

    G5 user - owned every SLR Canon made since the AT-1! Don't know anything
    about the Rebel but I do know the G-5. It's awesome and has never failed
    me in bright/low light conditions - or in any in-between! The size and
    easy menu is a winning combo! With a 512 card I can go to Europe for a
    couple of weeks and never slip in another card - matter of fact I just
    did that a few weeks ago - taking about 350+ photos.

    The talking movies is a whole other world of fun but I haven't done
    anything seriously in that venue yet, so I won't speak to it - but I
    have tried it.

    I would never bad mouth anyone's 'baby' but I researched out the G5 -
    including reading many professional (photographers) owner's opinions
    and I concur with most ... it's a lot of fun and excels to my standards
    .... which are pretty high. I found no weaknesses in it's systems yet.

    scott, Jan 9, 2004
  18. Chris Szilagyi

    Dr Rich Guest

    Thought you'd like to look at one G5 owners comments.....

    Dr Rich, Jan 9, 2004
  19. Chris Szilagyi

    no one Guest

    In article <>, Alex <>
    wrote:

    > On 3 Jan 2004 13:50:14 -0800, (Chris Szilagyi)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I have been looking at purchasing the Powershot G5 for a while, but
    > >recently the Canon Digital Rebel caught my eye.

    > Since you own a Rebel, you must have lenses. If you like your
    > selection of said lenses - get the Rebel.
    >
    > Note, though, that many features you might find on an SLR are locked
    > on the Digital Rebel (the features are actually there, physically, but
    > the camera's controls are prevented from accessing them). Otherwise
    > Canon might stop selling 10Ds because the Rebel is much cheaper and
    > the only real difference is the Rebel's plastic construction (which is
    > still a selling point for the 10D).

    I have a Digital Rebel and love it. My only complaint thus far is the
    silver color. The thing that made me choose the Digital Rebel over
    other less expensive cameras was the fact that the quality of the
    pictures were much more dependant on the lens than the camera. That
    being said the Rebel offers a much wider lens compatiblity than the G5.
    I also like night shots and the Rebel has proved me well. Feel free to
    look over them here --> http://buckrobinson.deviantart.com most of the
    shots after November 03 were taken with the Digital Rebel.

    no one, Jan 11, 2004
  20. Chris Szilagyi

    Guest

    Anyway, I bought a DRebel after having owned and used a G2 for a
    couple of years. The biggest difference isn't image resolution,
    sharpness, and/or color fidelity -- the G2 was no slouch in those
    respects. It's shutter response. The DRebel takes the picture when
    you push the button, like a film camera. The G2 takes its own sweet
    time. If that wouldn't bother you, get a G5 instead of a DRebel and
    save yourself some $. Better still, get a G3.

    scott <> wrote:

    >G5 user - owned every SLR Canon made since the AT-1! Don't know anything
    >about the Rebel but I do know the G-5. It's awesome and has never failed
    >me in bright/low light conditions - or in any in-between! The size and
    >easy menu is a winning combo! With a 512 card I can go to Europe for a
    >couple of weeks and never slip in another card - matter of fact I just
    >did that a few weeks ago - taking about 350+ photos.
    >
    >The talking movies is a whole other world of fun but I haven't done
    >anything seriously in that venue yet, so I won't speak to it - but I
    >have tried it.
    >
    >I would never bad mouth anyone's 'baby' but I researched out the G5 -
    >including reading many professional (photographers) owner's opinions
    >and I concur with most ... it's a lot of fun and excels to my standards
    >... which are pretty high. I found no weaknesses in it's systems yet.

    wumhenry

    , Jan 13, 2004