    Thanks!
    -iu
    , Oct 2, 2006

  2. Chris Guest

    Try blowing out the USB port on the camera with a can of air (like you would
    use to clean your pc).

    Chris, Oct 2, 2006

  3. Jack Mac Guest

    On 1 Oct 2006 20:06:53 -0700, wrote:

    >All:
    >
    >I've got a Canon Powershot G2 which is in otherwise good condition
    >except for one problem. The dial that controls whether the camera is
    >on, off, or in photo view mode seems messed up.
    >
    >If you put the battery in with the dial in the off position, the camera
    >is off. if you move it to the right (photo view mode, P6), it goes into
    >photo view mode (P6). If you move it back to the off position, it stays
    >in photo view mode, and if you move the "take photos" model, the
    >display reads PC, like it wants you to hook it up to a PC. The only way
    >to get the camera to turn off is to take the battery out, and actuallty
    >taking photos is not a possibility.
    >
    >Any ideas on solving this? Is there some kind of hardware reset I can
    >try? Sending it to Canon is more $ than it is worth so if I can't find
    >a solution I have to pitch the camera - which sucks because my Ikelite
    >underwater housing is just for this model and I will have to find
    >another just-as-old camera to replace it. I already had to do this once
    >and would like to avoid doing it again.
    >
    >Thanks!
    > -iu

    Before I'd pitch the G2 I think I'd get some fast evaporating contact
    cleaner ... Radio Shack may still carry it.... and spray sparingly around
    the dial. Before it evaporates move the dial through all it's range so
    it'll clean the contacts. (Just in case it's a dirty contact.)
    Remove the battery before doing this.... Oh, a second thought,
    doesn't the G-2 have an internal coin-size battery too..... wonder
    if it needs replacing.
    I once had a G-3 and a G-5. Wish I'd kept the G-5 when I bought
    the DSLR.... but I can't keep them all!
    Jack Mac
    Jack Mac, Oct 2, 2006
  4. bugbear Guest

    wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > I've got a Canon Powershot G2 which is in otherwise good condition
    > except for one problem. The dial that controls whether the camera is
    > on, off, or in photo view mode seems messed up.
    >
    > If you put the battery in with the dial in the off position, the camera
    > is off. if you move it to the right (photo view mode, P6), it goes into
    > photo view mode (P6). If you move it back to the off position, it stays
    > in photo view mode, and if you move the "take photos" model, the
    > display reads PC, like it wants you to hook it up to a PC. The only way
    > to get the camera to turn off is to take the battery out, and actuallty
    > taking photos is not a possibility.
    >
    > Any ideas on solving this?

    I had a totally different problem with a Canon A60
    and followed these instructions to take it apart:

    (I didn't have E18 on the A60 either)

    http://menthol.hit.bg/E18.html
    http://www.artecdesign.ee/~jan/Kaamerad/PowerShotA70/index.html

    On the assumption that Canon use similar design ideas
    on all their cameras, the switches are quite near the "outside"
    of the assembly - fairly "moderate" (but warrenty wrecking)
    disassembly should get you there, and you might
    be able to clean (or otherwise improve) them.

    Good Luck!

    BugBear (who has a Canon A510 that DOES have E18 issues)
    bugbear, Oct 2, 2006
  5. ? "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> ?????? ??? ??????
    > wrote:
    > > All:
    > >
    > > I've got a Canon Powershot G2 which is in otherwise good condition
    > > except for one problem. The dial that controls whether the camera is
    > > on, off, or in photo view mode seems messed up.
    > >
    > > If you put the battery in with the dial in the off position, the camera
    > > is off. if you move it to the right (photo view mode, P6), it goes into
    > > photo view mode (P6). If you move it back to the off position, it stays
    > > in photo view mode, and if you move the "take photos" model, the
    > > display reads PC, like it wants you to hook it up to a PC. The only way
    > > to get the camera to turn off is to take the battery out, and actuallty
    > > taking photos is not a possibility.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on solving this?

    > I had a totally different problem with a Canon A60
    > and followed these instructions to take it apart:
    >
    > (I didn't have E18 on the A60 either)
    >
    > http://menthol.hit.bg/E18.html
    > http://www.artecdesign.ee/~jan/Kaamerad/PowerShotA70/index.html

    The first in in Russian.The second is in some unknown language
    (finnish?)Even if I understood either, I should have been very desperate for
    a DIY repair or IMHO potentially destroy completely my camera.Modern digital
    cameras and camcorders are just IMHO again too delicate complicated and
    repair hostile for DIY repairs.
    Unlike washing machines or stoves, that have a simple costruction, design
    and plenty of room to stick your hands in (...errr.when there's no
    electricity) and there are plenty of generic spare parts-a 12.5 uF capacitor
    ,400 Volt is everywhere the same-unlike again obsolete specially made camera
    parts...

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    mechanized infantry reservist