Canon Powershot Digital IXUS 500 V Sony Cybershot DSC-W1B Digital camera

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by roger.s@paradise.net.nz, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. Guest

    The list price for the Canon is $999 the Sony $849

    With its features the Sony leaves the Canon for DEAD..

    Canon reviews

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s500.html
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s410_s500-review/index.shtml
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S500/S50A.HTM

    Sony Reviews

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w1-review/index.shtml
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W1/W1A.HTM

    You decide.

    Yes I have the Sony..

    Sony Price Range.

    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_3924.html

    Canon Price Range

    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_3581.html

    , Jun 18, 2004

  2. Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:01:16 +1200, roger.s wrote:

    > he list price for the Canon is $999 the Sony $849
    >

    > With its features the Sony leaves the Canon for DEAD..

    BUT, which takes the better pictures?

    Gordon, Jun 18, 2004

  3. On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:51:07 +1200, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:01:16 +1200, roger.s wrote:
    >
    >> he list price for the Canon is $999 the Sony $849
    >>

    >> With its features the Sony leaves the Canon for DEAD..

    >BUT, which takes the better pictures?

    The person behind the camera...-:)

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 18, 2004
  4. Wombus Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > The list price for the Canon is $999 the Sony $849
    >

    > With its features the Sony leaves the Canon for DEAD..

    I'd probably go for a better Zoom, at the cost of a megpixel for the same
    sort of money in the Olympus C-750. The 10X optical zoom is an equivalent
    zoom range of 38mm to 380mm

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html

    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_2751.html

    I think you can get a year or two interest free from Harvey Normans for
    about a grand.

    Although myself I am considering the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 camera, as it has a
    highly rated Optical 12x zoom (Optical stabiliser is supposed to give
    awesome hi zoom pics without a tripod)

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html

    $1299 in Harvey Normans & DSE

    Wombus

    Wombus, Jun 18, 2004
  5. On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:14:42 +1200, "Wombus" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>

    >> The list price for the Canon is $999 the Sony $849
    >>

    >> With its features the Sony leaves the Canon for DEAD..
    >>

    >I'd probably go for a better Zoom, at the cost of a megpixel for the same
    >sort of money in the Olympus C-750. The 10X optical zoom is an equivalent
    >zoom range of 38mm to 380mm
    >
    >http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
    >
    >http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_2751.html
    >
    >I think you can get a year or two interest free from Harvey Normans for
    >about a grand.
    >
    >Although myself I am considering the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 camera, as it has a
    >highly rated Optical 12x zoom (Optical stabiliser is supposed to give
    >awesome hi zoom pics without a tripod)
    >
    >http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html
    >
    >$1299 in Harvey Normans & DSE
    >
    >Wombus

    I was After a SMALL Camera...

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 18, 2004
  6. On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:14:42 +1200, "Wombus" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>

    >> The list price for the Canon is $999 the Sony $849
    >>

    >> With its features the Sony leaves the Canon for DEAD..
    >>

    >I'd probably go for a better Zoom, at the cost of a megpixel for the same
    >sort of money in the Olympus C-750. The 10X optical zoom is an equivalent
    >zoom range of 38mm to 380mm

    The Sony has extra add on Lenses, and comes in Black and records VGA Movie
    Video at 30fps, and a 2.5 " LCD, sun reflective and USB 2..

    The Olympus C-750. is a Old camera by today standards June/2003.

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 18, 2004
  7. Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:14:42 +1200, Wombus wrote:

    > Although myself I am considering the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 camera, as it has a
    > highly rated Optical 12x zoom (Optical stabiliser is supposed to give
    > awesome hi zoom pics without a tripod)

    I have this camera, and it is great. Can't understand why panasonic doesn't
    promote it more.

    Can be a bit grainy in low light, but you use the flash and all is well.

    The zoom is cool, even with a bit of digital zoom thrown in (the 4
    megapixel sensor has enough res to get away with it). Took a picture of an
    apple on the tree perhaps 20 meters away; you could see the dew drops on
    the skin of it, and it filled the frame.

    The Stablisation is cool, but is best with an exposure of less than about
    1/30th sec.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result." -- Winston Churchill

    Note: All comments are copyright 18/06/2004 10:24:28 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 18, 2004
  8. riff Guest

    "The GHOST of WOGER." <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:14:42 +1200, "Wombus"

    <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > ><> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> The list price for the Canon is $999 the Sony $849
    > >>

    > >> With its features the Sony leaves the Canon for DEAD..
    > >>

    > >I'd probably go for a better Zoom, at the cost of a megpixel for the same
    > >sort of money in the Olympus C-750. The 10X optical zoom is an

    equivalent
    > >zoom range of 38mm to 380mm

    > The Sony has extra add on Lenses, and comes in Black and records VGA

    Movie
    > Video at 30fps, and a 2.5 " LCD, sun reflective and USB 2..
    >

    > The Olympus C-750. is a Old camera by today standards June/2003.
    >

    > >http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
    > >
    > >http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_2751.html
    > >
    > >I think you can get a year or two interest free from Harvey Normans for
    > >about a grand.
    > >
    > >Although myself I am considering the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 camera, as it has

    > >highly rated Optical 12x zoom (Optical stabiliser is supposed to give
    > >awesome hi zoom pics without a tripod)
    > >
    > >http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html
    > >
    > >$1299 in Harvey Normans & DSE
    > >
    > >Wombus

    But no one mentioned this one:
    http://www.digitalcameras.co.nz/product.cfm?Product=1516

    riff, Jun 18, 2004
  9. Mark. Guest

    I'd still rather use CompactFlash over Memory Stick . I think this is
    much the case for most serious digital photographers as well.

    Mark., Jun 19, 2004
  10. On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23:56 +1200, "riff" <> wrote:

    >"The GHOST of WOGER." <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:14:42 +1200, "Wombus"

    ><>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> ><> wrote in message

    >> >I'd probably go for a better Zoom, at the cost of a megpixel for the same
    >> >sort of money in the Olympus C-750. The 10X optical zoom is an

    >equivalent
    >> >zoom range of 38mm to 380mm

    >> The Sony has extra add on Lenses, and comes in Black and records VGA

    >Movie
    >> Video at 30fps, and a 2.5 " LCD, sun reflective and USB 2..
    >>

    >> The Olympus C-750. is a Old camera by today standards June/2003.
    >>

    >> >http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
    >> >
    >> >http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_2751.html
    >> >
    >> >I think you can get a year or two interest free from Harvey Normans for
    >> >about a grand.
    >> >
    >> >Although myself I am considering the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 camera, as it has

    >> >highly rated Optical 12x zoom (Optical stabiliser is supposed to give
    >> >awesome hi zoom pics without a tripod)
    >> >
    >> >http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html
    >> >
    >> >$1299 in Harvey Normans & DSE
    >> >
    >> >Wombus
    >> >

    >But no one mentioned this one:
    >http://www.digitalcameras.co.nz/product.cfm?Product=1516

    I WAS REFERING TO A SMALL (SMALL ) CAMERA..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 19, 2004
  11. JJD Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:49:04 +1200, "Mark." <> wrote:

    >I'd still rather use CompactFlash over Memory Stick . I think this is
    >much the case for most serious digital photographers as well.

    I've seen this argument quite a lot, but I'm unsure what it's about.
    I have both and cannot see the difference - or were the pictures I
    took using the memory stick not serious photos?

    JJD

    JJD, Jun 19, 2004
  12. Richard Guest

    Re: Canon Powershot Digital IXUS 500 V Sony Cybershot DSC-W1B Digitalcamera

    >>I'd still rather use CompactFlash over Memory Stick . I think this is
    >>much the case for most serious digital photographers as well.

    > I've seen this argument quite a lot, but I'm unsure what it's about.
    > I have both and cannot see the difference - or were the pictures I
    > took using the memory stick not serious photos?

    Compact flash are cheaper, and in my experiance, faster then memory stick

    Richard, Jun 19, 2004
  13. On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >>>I'd still rather use CompactFlash over Memory Stick . I think this is
    >>>much the case for most serious digital photographers as well.

    >> I've seen this argument quite a lot, but I'm unsure what it's about.
    >> I have both and cannot see the difference - or were the pictures I
    >> took using the memory stick not serious photos?

    >Compact flash are cheaper, and in my experiance, faster then memory stick

    All depends on were you get them from, and the Pro version is very fast..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 19, 2004
  14. Mark. Guest

    In article <>,
    JJD <> wrote:

    > I've seen this argument quite a lot, but I'm unsure what it's about.
    > I have both and cannot see the difference - or were the pictures I
    > took using the memory stick not serious photos?

    I believe it comes down to $/MB and also availability of larger capacity
    MemorySticks. CompactFlash/MicroDrives are available in 4GB capacities
    the last time I checked, and I believe there are faster rated
    CompactFlash cards at the top end of the range, allowing faster writing
    to the card which is always helpful when taking photos in RAW mode.

    Mark., Jun 19, 2004