    and she still has it and it is still in good shape. She takes care of
    her stuff as long as I put the fear of God in her regarding taking
    care of her quality stuff.
    Finite Guy, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Finite Guy

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Finite Guy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
    > 14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
    > rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
    > a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
    > Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old? She is pretty
    > smart when It comes to computers etc.

    She can put it in P mode until she feels the need of all that manual control
    on offer.

    If she gets interested in photography she will have a camera that supports
    her interest.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Finite Guy

    Will M Guest

    "Finite Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
    > 14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
    > rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
    > a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
    > Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old? She is pretty
    > smart when It comes to computers etc. Last year I bought her an iPod
    > and she still has it and it is still in good shape. She takes care of
    > her stuff as long as I put the fear of God in her regarding taking
    > care of her quality stuff.

    No way. I'm early twenties and got a Canon FTb when I was about 14. I
    learnt a lot from having such a good camera and now am an accomplished
    photographer! This camera will last her a while to be sure
    Will M, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Finite Guy

    nafod40 Guest

    Finite Guy wrote:
    > Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
    > 14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
    > rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
    > a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
    > Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old?

    I just got doen watching my 14 year old son teach his mom how to use the
    cell phone.

    If she's bright and interested, it'll be great. Get her to try the
    different modes, take night and macro shots, etc. She'll learn a ton.
    nafod40, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Finite Guy

    ERich10983 Guest

    > Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old?

    I have mixed ages in the digital photo classes I teach in the local library.
    AThe biggest range has been 8 to 80 years old. Giving a youngster good tools
    is the best way for the kid to remain interested in photography instead of
    giving up because he can't get a good quality picture.

    Earle Rich
    Mont Vernon, NH
    ERich10983, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Finite Guy

    Sabineellen Guest

    >Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
    >14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
    >rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
    >a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
    >Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old? She is pretty
    >smart when It comes to computers etc. Last year I bought her an iPod
    >and she still has it and it is still in good shape. She takes care of
    >her stuff as long as I put the fear of God in her regarding taking
    >care of her quality stuff.

    Will you adopt me?

    No. It isn't too much for her, at least not technically. Just remember to
    exercise some wisdom when she starts imitating her peers and posting those
    teeny self-portraits on her livejournal. Also, whatever camera you buy her,
    make sure you buy a well-padded case (lowepro d-res series - go to the lowepro
    website and look at the compatiblity chart), so you can save her the worry, and
    the fear of God.
    Sabineellen, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Finite Guy

    YAG-ART Guest

    Given how good today kids are with cameras, it may be not enought of a
    camera ;)

    YAG-ART, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Finite Guy

    MBOSCHERT Guest

    >Also, whatever camera you buy her,
    >make sure you buy a well-padded case (lowepro d-res series - go to the
    >lowepro
    >website and look at the compatiblity chart), so you can save her the worry,
    >and
    >the fear of God.

    And get a loss/breakage rider from your home owners policy. Well worth it. I
    just replaced my S100 with the A95 through it.
    MBOSCHERT, Nov 16, 2004