Canon Powershot a80 as compared to the a95.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mydnight, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Mydnight

    Mydnight Guest

    Ok, I'm going to get myself another digital camera...my last one was
    stolen in china. I had a Canon Powershot a70 that I thought was
    pretty decent for a on-the-go-point-and-click sorta cam that I
    actually got some postcardesque looking shots out of.

    Now that I got the accidental option to upgrade, I think I'm going to
    stick with the canon powershot...but which number?

    I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
    the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
    right?

    I'm looking to spend like 250-300, and nearly all of these are within
    that range these days.

    So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.

    Mydnight

    --------------------
    thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

    Mydnight, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Mydnight

    DHB Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:58:40 GMT, Mydnight <> wrote:

    >Ok, I'm going to get myself another digital camera...my last one was
    >stolen in china. I had a Canon Powershot a70 that I thought was
    >pretty decent for a on-the-go-point-and-click sorta cam that I
    >actually got some postcardesque looking shots out of.
    >
    >Now that I got the accidental option to upgrade, I think I'm going to
    >stick with the canon powershot...but which number?
    >
    >I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
    >the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
    >right?
    >
    >I'm looking to spend like 250-300, and nearly all of these are within
    >that range these days.
    >
    >So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.
    >

    >Mydnight
    >
    >--------------------
    >thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

    Mydnight,
    have to make this quick, short on time today.

    My opinion in general is this:

    1> Don't buy the Canon A85, they cut too many corners to make a cost
    competitive product with this model. Picture noise levels are a bit
    too high for my liking because the pushed the tiny 1/2.7" sensor up
    from 3.2MP to 4 MP.

    2> The A75 is basically an A70 with a larger LCD display, 1.8"

    3> The upgrade path or replacement to the A80 is the A95, not the A85
    since they both use the same physical size, larger 1/1.8" sensor but
    Canon managed to increase it's resolution from 4MP to 5MP with a
    minimum of digital noise increase. If you can afford it the A95 seems
    to be the best camera remaining in the Axx series.

    > The A80 is also a fine camera but many like the larger swivel display

    of the A95 that makes it easier to take frame pictures while holding
    the camera above heads in a crowd or down low without having to drop
    to your knees for a lower prospective shot, such as for taking
    pictures of kids.

    Last point, check out the review sights & do side by side
    comparisons of the features that are of greatest importance to "YOU",
    because what I value, you may have no use for. Do like wise with full
    size unedited photos & look for things like digital noise, color
    accuracy..... etc.

    This sight is great for downloading full size picture to do
    picture quality comparisons:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

    Best of luck & remember, it's "your" choice, "you" have to
    live with what you select, so go with what fits "your needs" best but
    do the research in order to make an informed choice. Also more
    megapixels is usually better "IF" all other factors are equal. Never
    have I felt outclassed by somebody with the latest digital camera that
    might have twice the MP of mine. More megapixels is no grantee of
    better picture results if the photographer does not do his/her job
    well. It does however ensure that they will have more detailed errors
    if they don't do their job well as a photographer.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Mydnight

    John Smith Guest

    Chasseur d'Images dubbed the A95 "The G6 Killer".

    John Smith, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Mydnight

    Mydnight Guest

    i agree with you wholeheartedly about the differences between the
    cameras. i have looked from forum to forum to find the ups and downs
    of each camera in the series, but i wanted to get some input directly
    from some of you guys before i decided.

    anybody else have opinions on this?

    Mydnight

    --------------------
    thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

    Mydnight, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Mydnight

    Bill Kiene Guest

    I think the A80 has a fixed 1.5" screen. I have that on one of my cameras
    and it is pretty small.

    The A95 has a 1.8" swivel screen.

    For it's physical size, I think the A95 is pretty good for $399USD.

    --
    Bill Kiene

    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Sacramento, CA, USA

    Web site: www.kiene.com

    Bill Kiene, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Mydnight

    P Guest

    A8O is a simple camera with full manual control, easy to use, reasonably
    small, very good pictures, outstanding macro, uses 4 AA batteries which in
    itself is a reason to buy.

    Regards,

    Pavel

    P, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Mydnight

    Malcolm Guest

    I own an A80 and it, like the A95, has a swivel screen but I think you will
    find that it has been superceded by the A95.

    Malcolm, Oct 26, 2004
  8. Mydnight

    Mydnight Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:55:00 +0200, "P" <> wrote:

    >A8O is a simple camera with full manual control, easy to use, reasonably
    >small, very good pictures, outstanding macro, uses 4 AA batteries which in
    >itself is a reason to buy.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Pavel

    ya, but as compared to the a95 is what i'm wondering. i will be
    needing to choose between the two cameras because I don't have the
    extra cash to buy both of them. heh.

    from what i've gathered, the a95 has a few extra bells and whistles
    that may make it worth it....you can buy it online from some legit
    retailers for around 300 instead of the 400 that amazon sports; nearly
    the same price as the a80.

    Mydnight

    thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

    Mydnight, Oct 26, 2004