    Thanks,
    Veerle

    , Jan 18, 2006

  2. Dave Cohen Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just bought a Canon PowerShot A620 camera and I have a few
    > questions:
    >
    > - The SD memory card that came with the camera doesn't read properly on
    > my home computer which has an SD slot. My husbands mobile phone also
    > uses an SD memory card and this one works fine with the camera and on
    > the pc. But maybe this one is formatted differently, maybe another
    > filesystem? So I was wondering if anyone knowns that when you format
    > the SD memory card using the camera, in which filesystem (FAT, NTFS,
    > ...) it is formatted? According to Windows when looking at the
    > properties in windows explorer, both SD cards are FAT. But when I try
    > to format the SD card that came with the camera in windows explorer, I
    > get an error message saying that the formatting can not be finished
    > successfully... Or maybe anyone has got another idea what might cause
    > this problem?
    >
    > - How can I see on the camera how much space is left on the memory card
    > and perhaps get a guess of how much pictures I can still take? I looked
    > throughout the whole camera manual but couldn't find anything about
    > it...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Veerle

    As far as formatting is concerned, if done in the camera that should be it.
    This is recommended way. Windows should read the card regardless of fat16 or
    32. If it's fat32, windows will so indicate else it says fat if fat16. I
    just put a 3-1/2" floppy in my A drive, it's an old low density and I know
    that is 12 bit fat, window just says fat, just threw that in for info.
    When you first turn on the camera in record mode, the screen will show shots
    remaining as well as some othe info. The number of shots is an estimate
    since file size of a shot varies with content.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Guest

    > As far as formatting is concerned, if done in the camera that should be it.
    > This is recommended way. Windows should read the card regardless of fat16 or
    > 32. If it's fat32, windows will so indicate else it says fat if fat16. I
    > just put a 3-1/2" floppy in my A drive, it's an old low density and I know
    > that is 12 bit fat, window just says fat, just threw that in for info.

    Then the best option is to look for more recent drivers for the SD Card
    reader I guess...

    > When you first turn on the camera in record mode, the screen will show shots
    > remaining as well as some othe info. The number of shots is an estimate
    > since file size of a shot varies with content.

    Ah, it's the number on the right bottom then... Thanks!

    By the way, any idea why you can't take pictures in scepia when you are
    in "auto" mode?

    , Jan 19, 2006
  4. tomcas Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just bought a Canon PowerShot A620 camera and I have a few
    > questions:
    >
    > - The SD memory card that came with the camera doesn't read properly on
    > my home computer which has an SD slot. My husbands mobile phone also
    > uses an SD memory card and this one works fine with the camera and on
    > the pc. But maybe this one is formatted differently, maybe another
    > filesystem? So I was wondering if anyone knowns that when you format
    > the SD memory card using the camera, in which filesystem (FAT, NTFS,
    > ...) it is formatted? According to Windows when looking at the
    > properties in windows explorer, both SD cards are FAT. But when I try
    > to format the SD card that came with the camera in windows explorer, I
    > get an error message saying that the formatting can not be finished
    > successfully... Or maybe anyone has got another idea what might cause
    > this problem?
    >
    > - How can I see on the camera how much space is left on the memory card
    > and perhaps get a guess of how much pictures I can still take? I looked
    > throughout the whole camera manual but couldn't find anything about
    > it...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Veerle

    As a rule, if you want to avoid potential problems, always format the
    card in the camera you are going to use it in. Anything else such as
    formatting in another camera or a pc could lead to problems.

    tomcas, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Dave Cohen Guest

    "tomcas" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just bought a Canon PowerShot A620 camera and I have a few
    >> questions:
    >>
    >> - The SD memory card that came with the camera doesn't read properly on
    >> my home computer which has an SD slot. My husbands mobile phone also
    >> uses an SD memory card and this one works fine with the camera and on
    >> the pc. But maybe this one is formatted differently, maybe another
    >> filesystem? So I was wondering if anyone knowns that when you format
    >> the SD memory card using the camera, in which filesystem (FAT, NTFS,
    >> ...) it is formatted? According to Windows when looking at the
    >> properties in windows explorer, both SD cards are FAT. But when I try
    >> to format the SD card that came with the camera in windows explorer, I
    >> get an error message saying that the formatting can not be finished
    >> successfully... Or maybe anyone has got another idea what might cause
    >> this problem?
    >>
    >> - How can I see on the camera how much space is left on the memory card
    >> and perhaps get a guess of how much pictures I can still take? I looked
    >> throughout the whole camera manual but couldn't find anything about
    >> it...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Veerle
    >>

    > As a rule, if you want to avoid potential problems, always format the card
    > in the camera you are going to use it in. Anything else such as formatting
    > in another camera or a pc could lead to problems.

    Since you said the card reader was built into the computer, I assume this is
    a later model and you are running winxp. I would try to find a friend who
    could try reading the card. If you take the card into one of the larger
    retailers (Circuit City or Best Buy), you might be able to sweet talk the
    sales person into trying it in a demo machine (maybe have your wife do this,
    have her put on that innocent 'I really don't understand this stuff' look).
    You can also try the reader for feeding prints at Walmart etc.
    As far as setting sepia in auto mode, canon wisely of otherwise retains that
    type of setting when you turn the camera off. For that reason I reset
    settings in case I forget next time I turn the camera on. I suspect auto
    mode is meant to be more foolproof and avoids that problem by limiting the
    type of adjustment that can be made. P mode starts off same as auto until
    you change things so it's not really a problem.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 19, 2006
  6. gpsman Guest

    wrote: <brevity snip>

    > By the way, any idea why you can't take pictures in scepia when you are
    > in "auto" mode?

    ----
    "Auto" means "auto"... you're allowing the camera "full" contol.

    I think it's in the manual...
    -----

    - gpsman

    gpsman, Jan 19, 2006
  7. Guest

    > I would try to find a friend who could try reading the card.

    That's no long term solution, I might as well use my USB cable to
    transfer the pictures to my pc then... I would just like to be able to
    read the card on my pc because that should be faster (and easier) than
    USB.

    > maybe have your wife do this, have her put on that innocent 'I really don't understand this stuff' look

    I am a woman, but I guess that a typical Dutch name like Veerle doesn't
    give that away to the rest of the world :)

    , Jan 19, 2006