Canon PowerShot A610

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jesse, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Jesse

    Jesse Guest

    Jesse, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Jesse

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paul Heslop, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Jesse

    Mark B. Guest

    Mark B., Sep 23, 2005
  4. Jesse

    DHB Guest

    On 22 Sep 2005 11:35:25 -0700, "Jesse" <>
    wrote:

    >Can someone give some advice about A610?
    >
    >The current price of A610 is $299.
    >
    >Detail here:
    >http://www.shopping69.com/US-Store/..._5MP_Digital_Camera_with_4x_Optical_Zoom.html

    Jesse,
    may be just the way I see it but I suspect Canon often
    releases the specifications of their new cameras in advance of a
    production release & them sit's back & watches certain indicators to
    judge the likely demand for each new model. Then they use this
    information to calculate production rates needed to meet the demand.
    It's possible that even Canon can't have every model they make coming
    off production line(s) every day.

    So they likely tool up the line(s) for a specific model & a
    fairly well known amount & then reset the line(s) for the next model &
    etc. Certainly they want to make a profit & meeting demand within a
    reasonable time frame is almost certainly needed to do so.

    Somebody in Japan claims to have an A610 & posted some
    pictures from it on www.pbase.com. If true, maybe this is likely the
    beginning of the export shipment & other counties will be receiving
    them soon. Also if true, I was not impressed because the pictures
    posted seemed to have noticeable blurriness @ full wide angle in both
    upper corners. Distortion I can deal with because there are ways to
    correct it easily with a good editor & depending on subject choice, it
    may not even matter, but soft or blurred distortion is something else.

    I'm hoping this is not a problem in the camera design for this
    model camera because it looks like a great replacement & improvement
    to the A95 with outstanding video clip performance. We will have to
    wait & see how well it does in the reviews, hopefully Canon did not
    push this 4x optical zoom lens too far with this model.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Sep 23, 2005
  5. DHB <> wrote:

    > Somebody in Japan claims to have an A610 & posted some
    > pictures from it on www.pbase.com.

    URL?

    The A610 is not yet in the stores in Japan--even the date hasn't been
    announced beyond a vague "first ten days of October". It is, however,
    available in other countries such as Australia.

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

    Louise Bremner, Sep 23, 2005
  6. Jesse

    DHB Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:03:42 GMT, (Louise
    Bremner) wrote:

    >DHB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somebody in Japan claims to have an A610 & posted some
    >> pictures from it on www.pbase.com.

    >URL?
    >
    >The A610 is not yet in the stores in Japan--even the date hasn't been
    >announced beyond a vague "first ten days of October". It is, however,
    >available in other countries such as Australia.

    > Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    > If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

    Louise,
    I should have know somebody would ask for the link & saved it,
    I did not, but I did find it again:

    http://www.pbase.com/howards/canon_a610

    Don't know for sure that these were in fact taken with an A610
    but considering that I just go notified that it's available from B&H,
    I would suspect that it certainly could have been available elsewhere
    before B&H got them.

    Hopefully other's will soon be posting links to their pictures
    with this camera, as well as from know review sites. Hopefully this
    camera proves to be an improvement over the A95 in most, if not all
    areas but that remains to be seen.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Sep 24, 2005
  7. DHB <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:03:42 GMT, (Louise
    > Bremner) wrote:
    >
    > >DHB <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Somebody in Japan claims to have an A610 & posted some
    > >> pictures from it on www.pbase.com.

    > >URL?
    > >
    > >The A610 is not yet in the stores in Japan--even the date hasn't been
    > >announced beyond a vague "first ten days of October". It is, however,
    > >available in other countries such as Australia.
    > >

    > Louise,
    > I should have know somebody would ask for the link & saved it,
    > I did not, but I did find it again:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/howards/canon_a610

    Uh.... Note that Hong Kong is not part of Japan.

    > Don't know for sure that these were in fact taken with an A610
    > but considering that I just go notified that it's available from B&H,
    > I would suspect that it certainly could have been available elsewhere
    > before B&H got them.

    On dpreview, I think he said it's in the stores where he is, but I can't
    remember if that's in Hong Kong or he was visiting from Australia.

    Louise Bremner, Sep 24, 2005