    I tried to find it using www.google.com but all pages which I had found only
    include short description about these cameras.

    M.Cz

    No-Student, Aug 31, 2005

  2. No-Student

    bugbear Guest

    No-Student wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for manual for Canon PowerShot A610 and Canon PowerShot A620.
    > I have not found it on manufacturer's internet page.
    > I tried to find it using www.google.com but all pages which I had found only
    > include short description about these cameras.

    That may be a regional branding; it certainly doesn't appear here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
    which is normaly comprehensive

    BugBear

    bugbear, Aug 31, 2005

  3. No-Student

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:03:44 +0100, bugbear wrote:

    >> I am looking for manual for Canon PowerShot A610
    >> and Canon PowerShot A620.

    > That may be a regional branding; it certainly doesn't appear here:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
    > which is normaly comprehensive

    I think that they appeared in one of dpreview's news items, and
    probably with a manufacturer's press release. They were only
    announced and are not yet available (at least in the USA). They're
    essentially replacements for the A510 and A520, with the most
    significant change being a reversion from 2AA to 4 AA batteries.
    This supposedly will allow for faster focusing, especially in low
    light, where the A5xx models might not have had enough light to
    focus at all.

    ASAAR, Aug 31, 2005
  4. No-Student

    bugbear Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:03:44 +0100, bugbear wrote:
    >

    >>>I am looking for manual for Canon PowerShot A610
    >>>and Canon PowerShot A620.

    >>That may be a regional branding; it certainly doesn't appear here:
    >>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
    >>which is normaly comprehensive

    > I think that they appeared in one of dpreview's news items,

    Ah. Got 'em.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082202canona610a620.asp

    > and
    > probably with a manufacturer's press release. They were only
    > announced and are not yet available (at least in the USA). They're
    > essentially replacements for the A510 and A520,

    A95, it says on the press release.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Sep 1, 2005
  5. No-Student

    Mark B. Guest

    Mark B., Sep 1, 2005
  6. No-Student

    Cathy Guest

    "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    > ASAAR wrote:

    > >>That may be a regional branding; it certainly doesn't appear here:
    > >>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
    > >>which is normaly comprehensive

    > > I think that they appeared in one of dpreview's news items,

    > Ah. Got 'em.
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082202canona610a620.asp
    >
    > > and
    > > probably with a manufacturer's press release. They were only
    > > announced and are not yet available (at least in the USA). They're
    > > essentially replacements for the A510 and A520,

    I thought Canon supposedly brought out the A510 and A520 which used 2
    AA's, because many people complained about A75, A85,A95 needing 4
    batteries which was more inconvenient for weight and needing 4
    batteries. I was interested in the A510 and A520 at first when they came
    out, till I read some reviews which said they had some problems in low
    light situations, and also because I wanted a 2" LCD. So I guess Canon
    has solved the low light by having to use 4 batteries in the A610 and
    A620. Not many point and shoot cameras take 4 AA batteries do they? I
    might be interested in the Sony W5 which seems to have quite good
    reviews and it only takes 2 AA batteries. I don't think I would buy a
    point and shoot camera with 4 batteries. Makes the camera
    too heavy.

    Cathy

    Cathy, Sep 1, 2005
  7. No-Student

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:27:55 -0400, Cathy wrote:

    > I was interested in the A510 and A520 at first when they came
    > out, till I read some reviews which said they had some problems in low
    > light situations, and also because I wanted a 2" LCD. So I guess Canon
    > has solved the low light by having to use 4 batteries in the A610 and
    > A620. Not many point and shoot cameras take 4 AA batteries do they? I
    > might be interested in the Sony W5 which seems to have quite good
    > reviews and it only takes 2 AA batteries. I don't think I would buy a
    > point and shoot camera with 4 batteries. Makes the camera
    > too heavy.

    Mine takes 4 AAs. (The little Fuji that looks like a DSLR,
    remember?) I don't know the Sony W5's characteristics but would
    guess that it focuses better than the A510 and A520. That Canon
    would revert to 4AAs is almost certainly not to increase the number
    of shots, but to get a higher voltage. This should allow the motors
    that focus and zoom to operate quicker, enable the flash capacitors
    to recharge quicker (shorter wait between shots) and help low-light
    focusing, perhaps by having a brighter focusing lamp. If you have a
    good enough local store and wait long enough (before buying a
    camera) for the A610 or A620 to be released, it might be worthwhile
    trying them out in the store to compare their focusing performance.
    Based on what I've read in messages concerning other Sony cameras
    though, the W5 probably focuses better than most of its peers.
    Lastly, assuming that you have muscles capable of toting a camera
    with 2 AA's whether alkaline or NiMH, you'd also be strong enough to
    carry a similar sized camera loaded with 4 lithium AAs, and you
    might not have to replace them until 2008. :)

    ASAAR, Sep 1, 2005
  8. No-Student

    Cathy Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:27:55 -0400, Cathy wrote:
    >
    > > I was interested in the A510 and A520 at first when they came
    > > out, till I read some reviews which said they had some problems in

    low
    > > light situations, and also because I wanted a 2" LCD. So I guess

    Canon
    > > has solved the low light by having to use 4 batteries in the A610

    and
    > > A620. Not many point and shoot cameras take 4 AA batteries do they?

    > > might be interested in the Sony W5 which seems to have quite good
    > > reviews and it only takes 2 AA batteries. I don't think I would buy

    > > point and shoot camera with 4 batteries. Makes the camera
    > > too heavy.

    > Mine takes 4 AAs. (The little Fuji that looks like a DSLR,
    > remember?) I don't know the Sony W5's characteristics but would
    > guess that it focuses better than the A510 and A520.

    Probably.

    That Canon
    > would revert to 4AAs is almost certainly not to increase the number
    > of shots, but to get a higher voltage. This should allow the motors
    > that focus and zoom to operate quicker, enable the flash capacitors
    > to recharge quicker (shorter wait between shots) and help low-light
    > focusing, perhaps by having a brighter focusing lamp.

    Why can other cameras such as the W5 also with two batteries (according
    to some reviews, take better pictures and perform better in low light
    than the A510 and A520)

    If you have a
    > good enough local store and wait long enough (before buying a
    > camera) for the A610 or A620 to be released, it might be worthwhile
    > trying them out in the store to compare their focusing performance.

    Depends on the price too. I have one Best Buy store near me, but they
    don't have the best variety in digital cameras. Future Shop has more
    variety (they are owned by Best Buy) and are a similar type store, but
    have their own products which they've always had before Best Buy bought
    them a few years ago. They also have better sale prices than Best Buy.
    There is also another chain store which mainly sells cameras and
    sometimes they have good sales. Sometimes the sales are only on for a
    couple of days so you have to move if you want one. Because the A610 and
    A620 are new on the market in the US, they will cost a lot more when
    they come here, and the A610 is going to be around $399.99 US in the US.
    so could be $500.00 Can. here. Also, new cameras just out are not in all
    camera stores here. I'd like to see them when they come out though.

    The Sony W5 was on sale here a month or two back and was $350.00 Can. I
    had too many other things to pay at the time, so didn't look into it too
    much. But it might come up again.

    > Based on what I've read in messages concerning other Sony cameras
    > though, the W5 probably focuses better than most of its peers.
    > Lastly, assuming that you have muscles capable of toting a camera
    > with 2 AA's whether alkaline or NiMH, you'd also be strong enough to
    > carry a similar sized camera loaded with 4 lithium AAs, and you
    > might not have to replace them until 2008. :)

    Well, by the time the A610 or A620 come down in price and I have the
    money, I will be too weak to carry cameras even with lithium ions :)

    Cathy

    Cathy, Sep 1, 2005
  9. No-Student

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:23:21 -0400, Cathy wrote:

    >> That Canon
    >> would revert to 4AAs is almost certainly not to increase the number
    >> of shots, but to get a higher voltage. This should allow the motors
    >> that focus and zoom to operate quicker, enable the flash capacitors
    >> to recharge quicker (shorter wait between shots) and help low-light
    >> focusing, perhaps by having a brighter focusing lamp.

    > Why can other cameras such as the W5 also with two batteries (according
    > to some reviews, take better pictures and perform better in low light
    > than the A510 and A520)

    Sheesh, that's like asking why a Sunbeam mixer doesn't perform as
    well as those made by Kitchen-Aid or one of the smaller Hobarts.
    After all, they're all powered by 120v A.C. I could understand you
    asking that if all cameras shared a common set of parts, but they
    don't. Motors differ, sensors differ, and it's not just mechanical.
    Software/firmware controls everything, including how the camera
    focuses. Whether the camera shines or performs like a dog can even
    come down to the talent of the programmers used to write the
    software used by the camera.

    > Because the A610 and A620 are new on the market in the US, they will
    > cost a lot more when they come here, and the A610 is going to be around
    > $399.99 US in the US. so could be $500.00 Can. here. Also, new cameras
    > just out are not in all camera stores here. I'd like to see them when they
    > come out though.

    There's no need to buy an A620 or some other new, expensive model,
    but there's value in trying all kinds of cameras, including those
    above and below your price range. You learn things, such as how
    little shutter lag a well designed camera might have, or how quickly
    its focus locks in. You might decide the A620 is too expensive, but
    it performs so much better than an A520 or W5 that you decide it's
    worth waiting another 3 to 5 months for the price to drop. Or you
    might find that the difference between the A620 and the W5 is so
    slight that you'll get the W5 immediately. Well informed buyers
    tend to be more satisfied owners that impulse buyers. Holding the
    cameras in your own hands and trying them out can teach you more
    than many hours of reading online reviews.

    > The Sony W5 was on sale here a month or two back and was $350.00 Can.
    > I had too many other things to pay at the time, so didn't look into it too
    > much. But it might come up again.

    Since a bunch of new cameras appear to be waiting in the wings, I
    predict that the next time the W5 is on sale it will be for under
    $320. Can. In other words, worth the wait. :)

    >> Based on what I've read in messages concerning other Sony cameras
    >> though, the W5 probably focuses better than most of its peers.
    >> Lastly, assuming that you have muscles capable of toting a camera
    >> with 2 AA's whether alkaline or NiMH, you'd also be strong enough to
    >> carry a similar sized camera loaded with 4 lithium AAs, and you
    >> might not have to replace them until 2008. :)

    > Well, by the time the A610 or A620 come down in price and I have the
    > money, I will be too weak to carry cameras even with lithium ions :)

    Prepare yourself. Drink Ovaltine. Eat Wonder Bread. Rally!!!

    ASAAR, Sep 2, 2005
  10. No-Student

    Cathy Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:23:21 -0400, Cathy wrote:
    >
    > >> That Canon
    > >> would revert to 4AAs is almost certainly not to increase the number
    > >> of shots, but to get a higher voltage. This should allow the

    motors
    > >> that focus and zoom to operate quicker, enable the flash capacitors
    > >> to recharge quicker (shorter wait between shots) and help low-light
    > >> focusing, perhaps by having a brighter focusing lamp.

    > > Why can other cameras such as the W5 also with two batteries

    (according
    > > to some reviews, take better pictures and perform better in low

    light
    > > than the A510 and A520)

    > Sheesh, that's like asking why a Sunbeam mixer doesn't perform as
    > well as those made by Kitchen-Aid or one of the smaller Hobarts.
    > After all, they're all powered by 120v A.C. I could understand you
    > asking that if all cameras shared a common set of parts, but they
    > don't. Motors differ, sensors differ, and it's not just mechanical.
    > Software/firmware controls everything, including how the camera
    > focuses. Whether the camera shines or performs like a dog can even
    > come down to the talent of the programmers used to write the
    > software used by the camera.

    The question seemed simple, but obviously the answer isn't.

    > > Because the A610 and A620 are new on the market in the US, they will
    > > cost a lot more when they come here, and the A610 is going to be

    around
    > > $399.99 US in the US. so could be $500.00 Can. here. Also, new

    cameras
    > > just out are not in all camera stores here. I'd like to see them

    when they
    > > come out though.

    > There's no need to buy an A620 or some other new, expensive model,
    > but there's value in trying all kinds of cameras, including those
    > above and below your price range. You learn things, such as how
    > little shutter lag a well designed camera might have, or how quickly
    > its focus locks in. You might decide the A620 is too expensive, but
    > it performs so much better than an A520 or W5 that you decide it's
    > worth waiting another 3 to 5 months for the price to drop. Or you
    > might find that the difference between the A620 and the W5 is so
    > slight that you'll get the W5 immediately. Well informed buyers
    > tend to be more satisfied owners that impulse buyers. Holding the
    > cameras in your own hands and trying them out can teach you more
    > than many hours of reading online reviews.

    Actually, I saw the A610 and A620 on a camera site where the store is
    near where I live. This is a store that only sells cameras and nothing
    else and seems to get newer cameras and other stores don't always get
    the same cameras, BUT their prices for all cameras are higher than
    other stores.
    The A610 is selling here for $449.99 Can. which is $380.00 US but top
    price that I saw in the US was $299.99 US, which is $355.00 Can. So you
    can see we would pay about $100.00 Can. more plus we pay 15% tax and I
    am sure none of your states charge 15% tax. We don't pay 15% tax on all
    products, (no tax on food) but on most things.
    The A620 is selling for $550.00 Can. which is $464.00 US and is selling
    in the US for $399.99 which is $474.00 Can. So you can see in new
    cameras first on the market, there is a huge gap in US and Can. prices
    for the same thing. The only digital cameras which seem to be similar
    prices when new is HP. The biggest difference in price seems to be
    Canons. I notice the Canon A510 and A520 are coming down a bit in price
    here in the last couple of months.

    > > The Sony W5 was on sale here a month or two back and was $350.00

    Can.
    > > I had too many other things to pay at the time, so didn't look into

    it too
    > > much. But it might come up again.

    > Since a bunch of new cameras appear to be waiting in the wings, I
    > predict that the next time the W5 is on sale it will be for under
    > $320. Can. In other words, worth the wait. :)

    That could be but it could be a while. New Sonys would probably have to
    come out. The Sony W7
    out not that long ago. If new ones come on the market, the price of the
    W5 could come down.

    > >> Based on what I've read in messages concerning other Sony cameras
    > >> though, the W5 probably focuses better than most of its peers.
    > >> Lastly, assuming that you have muscles capable of toting a camera
    > >> with 2 AA's whether alkaline or NiMH, you'd also be strong enough

    > >> carry a similar sized camera loaded with 4 lithium AAs, and you
    > >> might not have to replace them until 2008. :)

    > > Well, by the time the A610 or A620 come down in price and I have the
    > > money, I will be too weak to carry cameras even with lithium ions :)

    > Prepare yourself. Drink Ovaltine. Eat Wonder Bread. Rally!!!

    I'll start body building and join a gym and lift weights and eat
    Wheaties right away. Or get an assistant to carry the camera for me.
    Ovaltine wouldn't help much.

    Cathy

    Cathy, Sep 2, 2005
  11. No-Student

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:41:39 -0400, Cathy wrote:

    > That could be but it could be a while. New Sonys would probably have to
    > come out. The Sony W7
    > out not that long ago. If new ones come on the market, the price of the
    > W5 could come down.

    I may be mistaken but I thought that the W5 and W7 were released
    at about the same time, which the W5 being a slightly improved
    version of the W1, and the W7 being just a higher resolution version
    of the W5.

    >> Prepare yourself. Drink Ovaltine. Eat Wonder Bread. Rally!!!

    > I'll start body building and join a gym and lift weights and eat
    > Wheaties right away. Or get an assistant to carry the camera for
    > me. Ovaltine wouldn't help much.

    How unfortunate. Your remaining choices are Bovril and Vegemite.

    ASAAR, Sep 2, 2005
  12. No-Student

    Cathy Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:41:39 -0400, Cathy wrote:
    >
    > > That could be but it could be a while. New Sonys would probably have

    > > come out. The Sony W7
    > > out not that long ago. If new ones come on the market, the price of

    the
    > > W5 could come down.

    > I may be mistaken but I thought that the W5 and W7 were released
    > at about the same time, which the W5 being a slightly improved
    > version of the W1, and the W7 being just a higher resolution version
    > of the W5.

    They came out either at the same time or close. I meant if newer Sony's
    than the W5 and W7 came out, both of them would go down in price. The
    Sony P200 might not be a bad camera. Its more money than the W5, and is
    smaller and light weight. it has a lithium ion battery with charger.
    Most Sonys seem to come with chargers and batteries which I like. With
    Kodaks, most times you need to buy the charger separate if you want
    rechargeables so that adds to the price. Same with Canons, except for
    the SD series.

    I just checked some reviews of the W5 and W7 at Steves digicams and it
    says they are good cameras, but have more trouble with red eye on indoor
    shots than most cameras, which according to Steve is because of the poor
    position of the flash being so close to the lens. Always something it
    seems.
    But I checked prices for US and Canada and the Sony W5 is around $300.00
    US in the US and was $350.00 Can. when I saw it on sale, so about the
    same price here as US price when on sale. The W7 is on sale here right
    now for $479.00 Can. which is 405.US and sells for around $360.00 US in
    US so its about $50.00 Can. more here. As I said, it depends on the make
    of the camera
    and how long its been on the market as to how much difference in price.
    The new cameras just out take a lot longer to go down here in price
    than in the US but thats because of the big difference in the two
    markets.

    > >> Prepare yourself. Drink Ovaltine. Eat Wonder Bread. Rally!!!

    > > I'll start body building and join a gym and lift weights and eat
    > > Wheaties right away. Or get an assistant to carry the camera for
    > > me. Ovaltine wouldn't help much.

    > How unfortunate. Your remaining choices are Bovril and Vegemite.

    Ughhh... No thanks. You will need to do better than that :)

    Cathy

    Cathy, Sep 2, 2005