    The use is mainly snapshot, and sometimes an " blowup" to A4 (21*29.7)

    I know it has no opt. zoom

    Cheers

    Fr@nk, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Fr@nk

    Robert Barr Guest

    Unbeatable price at Amazon right now + free CF card.

    I'll have one in a day or two. I'll have an first-person comment at
    that time; meanwhile, there's always Steve's:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a300.html

    RB

    Robert Barr, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Fr@nk

    Fred B. Guest

    I just got one. I LOVE IT. I had the Olympus d395 first, and compared it
    to the Canon. Returned the olympus.
    It is a really nice camera. You need to use Nimh batteries though. It,
    like all digitals, sucks alkalines dry fast.

    Fred B., Aug 9, 2004
  4. "Fr@nk" <> writes:
    >My daughter want to buy this cam (special offer this week) , I saw some
    >positive reactions on internet, what is your opinion ?

    I used an A200 for a while. It worked well, despite being dropped
    (inside a padded case, not completely unprotected) several times.
    I assume the A300 is similar.

    Pluses: Quick startup (no zoom to unpack itself). Uses standard
    batteries (preferably NiMH). Large bright optical viewfinder; much
    better than zoom viewfinders on many P&S Canons.

    Minuses: no zoom. No manual exposure modes. (But you knew this).

    I found that the 2 MP A200 was fine for 5x7 inch size prints, but
    not much more than that.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Fr@nk

    YoYo Guest

    Yes its great point and shoot and the
    resolution is good for 8x10 prints.

    YoYo, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Fr@nk

    Leonard Guest

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:15:37 +0000, Dave Martindale wrote:

    > Minuses: no zoom. No manual exposure modes. (But you knew this).

    To be fair, the lens in the A300 only has f3.6 and f5.6 apertures
    available, so you aren't losing much control by not being able to
    pick which one. And it does have exposure compensation.

    It suffers somewhat from barrel distortion which is a little
    disappointing. I don't take many pictures for which this is
    a problem but YMMV.

    > I found that the 2 MP A200 was fine for 5x7 inch size prints, but
    > not much more than that.

    Sounds about right. I find that 10x7 is OK but pushing it a little
    for the A300.

    I'd say that if the lack of a zoom isn't going to be too restrictive
    for the sort of pictures you want to take, the A300 will give
    excellent bang for the buck. Having said that the A80 also looks
    pretty good if you can find somewhere still selling it. It's got
    a bigger sensor, a faster lens (at wide-angle), a foldy-out
    lcd, and the C1 and C2 custom setups. Oh and the zoom lens of course.

    - Len

    Leonard, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Leonard <> writes:

    >To be fair, the lens in the A300 only has f3.6 and f5.6 apertures
    >available, so you aren't losing much control by not being able to
    >pick which one. And it does have exposure compensation.

    Hmm. That's a bit disappointing; the A200 was f/2.8. And won't it
    close down to f/8?

    >I'd say that if the lack of a zoom isn't going to be too restrictive
    >for the sort of pictures you want to take, the A300 will give
    >excellent bang for the buck. Having said that the A80 also looks
    >pretty good if you can find somewhere still selling it. It's got
    >a bigger sensor, a faster lens (at wide-angle), a foldy-out
    >lcd, and the C1 and C2 custom setups. Oh and the zoom lens of course.

    It's a much better camera - but at something like twice the price
    (at least comparing initial prices when first available).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Fr@nk

    Leonard Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:46:34 +0000, Dave Martindale wrote:

    >>To be fair, the lens in the A300 only has f3.6 and f5.6 apertures
    >>available, so you aren't losing much control by not being able to
    >>pick which one. And it does have exposure compensation.

    > Hmm. That's a bit disappointing; the A200 was f/2.8. And won't it
    > close down to f/8?

    Agreed it's a bit weak to lose the f2.8; no it won't go to f8. Actually
    I've just looked at some exif info and I wonder why the camera has
    decided in some cases to stay wide-open when it's using a shutter
    speed of 1/500. Perhaps I do miss not having Av mode.

    - Len

    Leonard, Aug 11, 2004
  9. Fr@nk

    Robert Barr Guest

    You've probably made your decision by now, but...

    I'm not thrilled with the image quality.

    I understand it's not a premium unit, but the sharpness isn't quite on a
    par with my aged 2.1 MP Fuji 2300, even. Comparing its output to the
    samples on Image Resource, for example, makes me wonder if there isn't a
    problem with this particular unit. Indoor shots don't come close to the
    sample images. Anything beyond about 12 feet looks horrible.

    http://www.cycleorings.com/back.JPG for example. Look at the roofline.
    It should be jagged and crisp. Look at the foliage. No definition.
    Ecch.

    This is unfortunate, because otherwise I really like this little camera.
    Most of the details are darned near perfect for me. I got rid of a G3
    a month ago because it was too cumbersome & fickle as far as focus (and
    exposure, sometimes).

    Macro stuff, on the other hand, looks great.

    Should I exchange it for another?

    Robert Barr, Aug 13, 2004
  10. Fr@nk

    Fr@nk Guest

    Indeed, I've bought the cam and tested it for her, and was disappointed.
    Images not clear, lens F3.x to dark,
    face turned into red (too red) etc.

    Problem is however I compare it with images from my G2, and thats not fair,
    but still I brought the cam back to the shop and got my refund.

    Thanks frank

    Fr@nk, Aug 14, 2004