Canon Powershot A20 Failure

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by OzFree, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. OzFree

    OzFree Guest

    Hi,

    I haven't tried contacting Canon at this stage because it's a Sunday
    .... just wanted to post on this group and see if anyone else has had a
    similar experience while I wait for a weekday.

    I received a Canon Powershot A20 camera towards February of last year.
    I couldn't use it initially because my computer is v-e-r-y old and
    doesn't have USB ports.

    I'm now using an equally-old computer WITH a USB port so I tried using
    the camera this week. I successfully installed the "Canon PowerShot
    A10/A20 Adjustment Program" yesterday and took three photos today when
    the camera died with the lens extended.

    The manual says this occurs when the memory card or the batteries are
    removed while the camera is switched on. I did neither of these
    things. It was powered by mains power using the official optional
    power supply and connected to a surge protector.

    The manual also suggests that the remedy is to switch the camera off
    then on again, but the camera is already powered down and won't power
    up at all.

    Has anyone else had problems with this camera?

    Thanks,

    OzFree

    OzFree, Dec 21, 2003

  2. OzFree

    default name Guest

    Will it run on new batteries at all? If not it's probably fried and time to
    send it to Canon. But you will need to ask yourself if the cost to fix it is
    worth it on a camera of this vintage.

    default name, Dec 21, 2003

  3. OzFree

    Guest

    OzFree <> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I haven't tried contacting Canon at this stage because it's a Sunday
    > ... just wanted to post on this group and see if anyone else has had a
    > similar experience while I wait for a weekday.

    Might be a defective power supply. Try using a freshly charged set
    of batteries to see if the camera comes back to life.

    , Dec 21, 2003
  4. OzFree

    MR Guest

    On 21 Dec 2003 04:58:02 -0800, (OzFree) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I haven't tried contacting Canon at this stage because it's a Sunday
    >... just wanted to post on this group and see if anyone else has had a
    >similar experience while I wait for a weekday.
    >
    >I received a Canon Powershot A20 camera towards February of last year.
    >I couldn't use it initially because my computer is v-e-r-y old and
    >doesn't have USB ports.
    >
    >I'm now using an equally-old computer WITH a USB port so I tried using
    >the camera this week. I successfully installed the "Canon PowerShot
    >A10/A20 Adjustment Program" yesterday and took three photos today when
    >the camera died with the lens extended.
    >
    >The manual says this occurs when the memory card or the batteries are
    >removed while the camera is switched on. I did neither of these
    >things. It was powered by mains power using the official optional
    >power supply and connected to a surge protector.
    >
    >The manual also suggests that the remedy is to switch the camera off
    >then on again, but the camera is already powered down and won't power
    >up at all.
    >
    >Has anyone else had problems with this camera?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >OzFree

    I have an A20 and have never had any problems with it. Best of luck
    on getting yours up and running. Try fresh batteries etc.
    MR

    MR, Dec 21, 2003
  5. OzFree

    OzFree Guest

    I have now contacted Canon ... was told I have to take it in to the
    service centre, which in Victoria Australia is unusually-situated in
    East Burwood (don't get me wrong, Burwood is a nice enough place, just
    unusual for a major company like Canon) and I have to pay $45 just to
    have it looked at.

    Since it's only ever taken 3 shots in its life, I'm not sure I want to
    pay $45 just to find out what's wrong, especially since I've done a
    bit of reading online and this model camera apparently has problems
    with the motherboard short-circuiting which is NOT a cheap fix.

    I still have my mum's SLR Pentax from over 30 years ago, and my own
    point-and-click Pentax which has been around the world TWICE and is
    over 15 years old. I take care of my belongings. If Canon are going to
    charge me $45 just to LOOK at a camera which has only ever taken 3
    shots in its life, then I think I'm going to have to write this off as
    a learning experience ... *if* I replace the thing (and I probably
    won't) then it's Pentax all the way from now on.

    *sigh*

    OzFree

    OzFree, Dec 23, 2003
  6. OzFree

    Steve Guest

    OzFree wrote:
    > I have now contacted Canon ... was told I have to take it in to the
    > service centre, which in Victoria Australia is unusually-situated in
    > East Burwood (don't get me wrong, Burwood is a nice enough place, just
    > unusual for a major company like Canon) and I have to pay $45 just to
    > have it looked at.
    >
    > Since it's only ever taken 3 shots in its life, I'm not sure I want to
    > pay $45 just to find out what's wrong, especially since I've done a
    > bit of reading online and this model camera apparently has problems
    > with the motherboard short-circuiting which is NOT a cheap fix.
    >
    > I still have my mum's SLR Pentax from over 30 years ago, and my own
    > point-and-click Pentax which has been around the world TWICE and is
    > over 15 years old. I take care of my belongings. If Canon are going to
    > charge me $45 just to LOOK at a camera which has only ever taken 3
    > shots in its life, then I think I'm going to have to write this off as
    > a learning experience ... *if* I replace the thing (and I probably
    > won't) then it's Pentax all the way from now on.
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > OzFree

    OzFree:

    I have an old mid-70's vintage Pentax SLR that served me well for 25 years.
    I used it as a field geologist so it took a lot of abuse. I had a Canon A40
    digicam that was defective and Canon USA failed to repair it 3 times and
    they actually made it worse on the 2nd repair. Stay with Pentax. DON'T BUY
    CANON!

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 23, 2003
  7. OzFree

    lenny Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in

    > OzFree wrote:
    >> I have now contacted Canon ... was told I have to take it in to the
    >> service centre, which in Victoria Australia is unusually-situated in
    >> East Burwood (don't get me wrong, Burwood is a nice enough place,
    >> just unusual for a major company like Canon) and I have to pay $45
    >> just to have it looked at.

    > OzFree:
    >
    > I have an old mid-70's vintage Pentax SLR that served me well for 25
    > years. I used it as a field geologist so it took a lot of abuse. I
    > had a Canon A40 digicam that was defective and Canon USA failed to
    > repair it 3 times and they actually made it worse on the 2nd repair.
    > Stay with Pentax. DON'T BUY CANON!
    >
    > Steve

    I humbly agree with Steve. My _personal_ experience with their
    products - going back 20 years or so - has not been good.
    High prices and cameras that break too fast. I'm amazed at
    how well they maintain their dominance in market share.

    Jim

    lenny, Dec 24, 2003
  8. OzFree

    Ron Hunter Guest

    lenny wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in
    >

    >>OzFree wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have now contacted Canon ... was told I have to take it in to the
    >>>service centre, which in Victoria Australia is unusually-situated in
    >>>East Burwood (don't get me wrong, Burwood is a nice enough place,
    >>>just unusual for a major company like Canon) and I have to pay $45
    >>>just to have it looked at.

    >>OzFree:
    >>
    >>I have an old mid-70's vintage Pentax SLR that served me well for 25
    >>years. I used it as a field geologist so it took a lot of abuse. I
    >>had a Canon A40 digicam that was defective and Canon USA failed to
    >>repair it 3 times and they actually made it worse on the 2nd repair.
    >>Stay with Pentax. DON'T BUY CANON!
    >>
    >>Steve

    > I humbly agree with Steve. My _personal_ experience with their
    > products - going back 20 years or so - has not been good.
    > High prices and cameras that break too fast. I'm amazed at
    > how well they maintain their dominance in market share.
    >
    > Jim

    And my experience with them (Kodak) over the past 50 years has been
    exactly the opposite. I have never had a Kodak camera fail on me, and
    have always been able to get good pictures from them. Perhaps it is
    something we are doing differently.....

    Ron Hunter, Dec 25, 2003
  9. OzFree

    Paul L Guest