    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
    DaveC, Feb 25, 2005

  2. DaveC

    spudnuty Guest

    Hmm,
    Don't know much about this particular model but I've met a lot of
    people on vacation using a belt pack to power their digital cameras.
    Richard
    spudnuty, Feb 26, 2005

  3. DaveC

    Jerry G. Guest

    It may be the battery contacts where they are soldered or wired to the
    circuit board. In many of these cameras, to service them, they change the
    complete module or board, depending on the nature of the fault. Most of the
    cost is the labour.

    When Canon does a service job, they will check the complete camera for
    calibration and operation. When you get it back, it will be calibrated, and
    properly checked.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "DaveC" <> wrote in message
    Found someone selling a Canon A20 digital camera that has a problem: it will
    only operate with the AC adapter, not batteries. He says that Canon tells
    him
    that this is a "semi-common" problem that crops up in older A20's. Sez Canon
    will fix for $100. Not really worth it unless I can fix it myself.

    Is anyone familiar with this fault and know what the cause is, and possibly
    fix?

    Another forum that might be better to ask such a question?

    Thanks,

    Jerry G., Feb 26, 2005
  4. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:41:29 -0800, Jerry G. wrote
    (in article <>):

    > It may be the battery contacts where they are soldered or wired to the
    > circuit board. In many of these cameras, to service them, they change the
    > complete module or board, depending on the nature of the fault. Most of the
    > cost is the labour.

    Do digital cameras have micro fuses in the battery circuit?
    Polarity-protection diodes? Something that might have burnt out if someone
    installed batteries backward, for example.

    DaveC, Feb 26, 2005
  5. DaveC

    spudnuty Guest

    Yes they do have fuses and polarity diodes. Both are easy to check. If
    you are adept enough to take this camera apart, deal with the tiny
    screws and keep them in the correct place. Know how to deal with the
    flex cables that are all over these things. Even if you could get down
    to the power board it might be easier and cheaper to buy a parts camera
    on eBay and swap out the whole power board.
    I recently did this with a Fuji 2600Z that had been dropped and
    wouldn't write. I swapped out the read/write board and it works fine.
    Upon close examination I found a tiny IC (.5mm X 1MM) that had been
    ripped off the board in the drop. It took a half hour to solder that
    sucker back but now I have a spare read/write board and another parts
    camera on the way.
    Richard
    spudnuty, Feb 27, 2005
  6. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Any service information (manual, schematic, etc.) for any of the PowerShot
    A-series would be very helpful.

    DaveC, Feb 27, 2005
  7. DaveC

    Jim Douglas Guest

    You call canon and see if you get the same story and how much it's to fix.

    "DaveC" <> wrote in message
    > Found someone selling a Canon A20 digital camera that has a problem: it

    will
    > only operate with the AC adapter, not batteries. He says that Canon tells

    him
    > that this is a "semi-common" problem that crops up in older A20's. Sez

    Canon
    > will fix for $100. Not really worth it unless I can fix it myself.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with this fault and know what the cause is, and

    possibly a

    Jim Douglas, Feb 28, 2005
  8. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:12:17 -0800, Jim Douglas wrote
    (in article <>):

    > You call canon and see if you get the same story and how much it's to fix.

    And so I did. Repair estimates start at $100. Or "trade up" to an A70 for
    $170 (which is about what they're selling at discount with no trade-in).

    DaveC, Feb 28, 2005