    clogging up I don't print that much?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 23, 2008

  2. Tom

    DanG Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    news:Y1kFj.198$Pc2.125@trndny06...
    > I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper feed
    > problems no more HP for me.
    > I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is
    > text and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking at
    > the Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I believe
    > it uses CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and another
    > black cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill the
    > canon cartridges? If so, which refill ink do I use? Aren't the newer
    > inkjet printers using a different ink? Any comments for Canon mp 610
    > inkjet users are most welcome. What should I do to stop the inkjet
    > cartridges from clogging up I don't print that much?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    It's an excellent MF printer, top quality results. All Canon ink tanks use
    chips, so if you want to refill you will need to disable the ink level
    monitoring. There's lots of info available from the various ink sellers on
    how this is done. There's nothing you need to do to prevent clogging except
    use the printer once in a while. All tanks are purged in a cleaning cycle.

    DanG, Mar 23, 2008

  3. Tom

    Burt Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper feed
    > problems no more HP for me.
    > I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is
    > text and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking at
    > the Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I believe
    > it uses CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and another
    > black cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill the
    > canon cartridges? If so, which refill ink do I use? Aren't the newer
    > inkjet printers using a different ink? Any comments for Canon mp 610
    > inkjet users are most welcome. What should I do to stop the inkjet
    > cartridges from clogging up I don't print that much?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    CLi-8 and PGI-5 cartridges can be refilled easily. Hobbicolors, Precision
    Colors, MIS, and Alotofthings are reputable vendors that have ink for these
    carts. With each cart that you refill you will get a nag screen that you
    are at risk of losing your warranty. You can override it and continue
    printing. Canon plays a dirty trick on you at that point and disables the
    ink level monitor, so you will have to monitor it visually. No problem as
    the carts are clear and removing them all, one at a time, to check the level
    takes less than 30 seconds. When you consider that two sets of refills will
    save you the cost of a replacement printer, the warranty has little value.
    See if you can scounge up a set of empty carts, purge them (info on the
    Nifty stuff forum), and refill them to create a spare set so you can
    replace a nearly empty one in the printer and refill at your leasure. I
    went to a Staples store where they give customers a credit for turning in
    certain brand empty carts. The don't refund for Canon carts, but some
    customers throw them into the bin anyway. I asked the manager for the empty
    canon carts as they weren't part of their return credit policy and she gave
    me almost 100 carts. Most were BCI-6, but there were a dozen CLI-8's as
    well.

    The other issue, however, is more critical. All inkjet printheads can clog
    if not used somewhat frequently. With Canon OEM ink carts costing up to $14
    per cart, many people are reluctant to print very much. With refill inks
    that reduce the price of a refilled cart to about $1 US you should have no
    reluctance to print at least one color photo or full color print twice a
    week. In addition, if you have access to a Costco store you can use their
    Kirkland glossy photo paper which prints color photos beautifully and is
    very inexpensive. 4x6 paper is aoburt $14 for a box of 300 , and a 125 box
    of 8.5x11 size is about $19.

    You will get lots of information on refilling these carts (same as bci-6 and
    bci-3ebk), purging them when they start to get some dried ink in the sponge
    area, plus tips and tricks on the Nifty stuff forum. Another tip - don't
    let the reservoir part of the cart get more than 80% empty before refilling.
    You will get more refills this way prior to purging the cart of dried ink,
    and you will avoid running a cart dry and damaging the printhead.

    Above all, disregard the posts that inevitably follow advice on aftermarket
    inks by our resident troll, Measekite. He is the international distributor
    of misinformation on all things non-OEM!
    http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

    Burt, Mar 23, 2008
  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper feed
    > problems no more HP for me.
    > I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is
    > text and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking at
    > the Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I believe
    > it uses CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and another
    > black cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill the
    > canon cartridges? If so, which refill ink do I use? Aren't the newer
    > inkjet printers using a different ink? Any comments for Canon mp 610
    > inkjet users are most welcome. What should I do to stop the inkjet
    > cartridges from clogging up I don't print that much?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks for the useful information I just ordered the 610 from Amazon.

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 23, 2008
  5. Tom

    measekite Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper feed
    > problems no more HP for me.
    > I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is text
    > and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking at the
    > Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I believe it uses
    > CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and another black
    > cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill the canon
    > cartridges?

    You really will not save any money since OEM ink is much better. Unless
    you print a great deal you really will not spend less either. It is a
    messy waste of time.
    > If so, which refill ink do I use?

    Nobody really knows what they are getting since the vendors will not
    tell them. One may even be surprised to find that many of the vendors
    may be selling the same mfg under different names.
    > Aren't the newer inkjet
    > printers using a different ink?

    Yes. The newer Canon printers are using a special ink that is more fade
    resistant.
    > Any comments for Canon mp 610 inkjet users
    > are most welcome.

    That technology is so old you should not even consider it. The printer
    does not have the nice features of the new Canon printers.
    > What should I do to stop the inkjet cartridges from
    > clogging up I don't print that much?

    Use Canon ink.

    measekite, Mar 23, 2008
  6. Tom

    measekite Guest

    Burt wrote:

    "Tom" &lt;&gt; wrote in message news:Y1kFj.198$Pc2.125@trndny06...

[...]

    I did not like alutithings when i called them.&nbsp; hobvbicolors and mis refused to tell me what they are selling.&nbsp; do not know about the other but many go under different names and sell the same stuff.

    I think Photographers who spend a lot on cameras and lenses want to get the best results.&nbsp; Most use wide format printers with OEM ink.&nbsp; The ones that use a standard format printer probably would like a wide format printer.&nbsp; Most want to get good size enlargements.&nbsp; While I like Canon I would say that most of the semi pro or pro photographers use Epson.

    With each cart that you refill you will get a nag screen that you are at risk of losing your warranty.

    Specifically you will loose your warranty if the crap ink was the cause of the printer needing repair.

    You can override it and continue printing. Canon plays a dirty trick on you at that point and disables the ink level monitor,

    That is not a dirty trick at all.&nbsp; They do not have to cater to the crap ink vendors.

    so you will have to monitor it visually. No problem as the carts are clear and removing them all, one at a time, to check the level takes less than 30 seconds.

    Now that is a real pain.&nbsp; If you print a lot you need to do it frequently and if you do not print a lot you have no reason not to use the better OEM ink.

    When you consider that two sets of refills will save you the cost of a replacement printer, the warranty has little value.

    No true.&nbsp; He assumes you just use a point and shoot and do not have a wide format printer.

    See if you can scounge up a set of empty carts, purge them (info on the Nifty stuff forum),

    That his is club where at one time he was the moderator.&nbsp; Very biased.
    snip

    The other issue, however, is more critical. All inkjet printheads can clog if not used somewhat frequently. With Canon OEM ink carts costing up to $14 per cart, many people are reluctant to print very much. With refill inks that reduce the price of a refilled cart to about $1 US you should have no reluctance to print at least one color photo or full color print twice a week. In addition, if you have access to a Costco store you can use their Kirkland glossy photo paper which prints color photos beautifully and is very inexpensive. 4x6 paper is aoburt $14 for a box of 300 , and a 125 box of 8.5x11 size is about $19.

    That is not true.&nbsp; I only print the good photos with my Canon.&nbsp; The business stuff I print with my HP.&nbsp; I have never had a clog in either printer.&nbsp; I have had these printers for over 4 years.&nbsp; I use only OEM ink.

    You will get lots of information on refilling these carts (same as bci-6 and bci-3ebk), purging them when they start to get some dried ink in the sponge area, plus tips and tricks on the Nifty stuff forum.

    Again look who he is touting

    measekite, Mar 23, 2008
  7. Tom

    Frank Guest

    measekite wrote:

    ....his usual lies and bullshit!
    Frank

    Frank, Mar 23, 2008
  8. Tom

    Frank Guest

    measekite wrote:

    ....are you really this stupid?
    Frank

    Frank, Mar 23, 2008
  9. Tom

    N Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > measekite wrote:
    >

    > ...his usual lies and bullshit!
    > Frank

    But the generalisations were truly remarkable.

    N, Mar 23, 2008
  10. Tom

    Frank Guest

    N wrote:

    > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> measekite wrote:
    >>

    >> ...his usual lies and bullshit!
    >> Frank

    > But the generalisations were truly remarkable.

    hehehe...yeah, delusional at best and from a demented moron...LOL!
    Frank

    Frank, Mar 23, 2008
  11. Tom

    measekite Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > N wrote:
    >
    >> "Frank" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> measekite wrote:
    >>>

    >>> ...his usual lies and bullshit!
    >>> Frank

    >> But the generalisations were truly remarkable.

    > hehehe...yeah, delusional at best and from a demented moron...LOL!
    > Frank

    idiots go he he he the rest go ha ha ha

    measekite, Mar 24, 2008
  12. Tom

    Frank Guest

    measekite wrote:

    > idiots go he he he the rest go ha ha ha

    -----------------------------------

    ....and brain dead morons like you don't even know the difference...LOL!
    Frank

    Frank, Mar 24, 2008
  13. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "DanG" <> wrote in message

    > "Tom" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper
    >> feed problems no more HP for me.
    >> I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is
    >> text and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking
    >> at the Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I
    >> believe it uses CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and
    >> another black cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill
    >> the canon cartridges? If so, which refill ink do I use? Aren't the
    >> newer inkjet printers using a different ink? Any comments for Canon mp
    >> 610 inkjet users are most welcome. What should I do to stop the inkjet
    >> cartridges from clogging up I don't print that much?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > It's an excellent MF printer, top quality results. All Canon ink tanks use
    > chips, so if you want to refill you will need to disable the ink level
    > monitoring. There's lots of info available from the various ink sellers on
    > how this is done. There's nothing you need to do to prevent clogging
    > except use the printer once in a while. All tanks are purged in a cleaning
    > cycle.

    I set up thr printer, aligned the printer heads and scanned a document.
    I don't see an option in the software to scan for software updates.
    Do I do that manually at the Canon site or am I missing something?
    BTW, the Canon is much higher quality construction than any HP inkjet I've
    seen.

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 28, 2008
  14. Tom

    DanG Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message

    > I set up thr printer, aligned the printer heads and scanned a document.
    > I don't see an option in the software to scan for software updates.
    > Do I do that manually at the Canon site or am I missing something?
    > BTW, the Canon is much higher quality construction than any HP inkjet I've
    > seen.
    >
    > Tom

    There's no particular reason to look for updates to the drivers, but if you
    want to, you do need to visit the Canon site.

    DanG, Mar 28, 2008