    thoughts and any appropriate links (at my age, I need to sit down with a
    drink and inwardly digest all this technology at leisure).

    Keith

    Keith Foster, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Keith Foster

    l e o Guest

    Keith Foster wrote:
    > I've just bought one (in UK) and would like to know of any source of good
    > alternative cartridges and are they (either the original Canon or
    > compatibles) successfully refillable?
    >
    > I'm also having to get to grips with printer profiles and would welcome some
    > thoughts and any appropriate links (at my age, I need to sit down with a
    > drink and inwardly digest all this technology at leisure).
    >
    > Keith

    You seem to be making a contradicting request. First you want a printer
    color profile and then you want to go cheap with third party ink. The
    profile are tied to the ink/paper combination. If you don't use OEM ink,
    you have to make your own profile.

    l e o, Feb 13, 2006

  3. "Keith Foster" <> wrote in message
    > I've just bought one (in UK) and would like to know of any source of good
    > alternative cartridges and are they (either the original Canon or
    > compatibles) successfully refillable?
    >
    > I'm also having to get to grips with printer profiles and would welcome
    > some thoughts and any appropriate links (at my age, I need to sit down
    > with a drink and inwardly digest all this technology at leisure).
    >
    > Keith

    http://www.calibrecomputing.co.uk/

    You can get cheap compatibles for £2.35 colour ones, or £2.65 Black. Free
    P&P too!

    I have used this company for the last 4 years without any problems. If you
    order on a Monday - they usually arrive by the end of the week.

    **SS**

    SecretSquiddle, Feb 13, 2006
  4. Keith Foster

    Keith Foster Guest

    "SecretSquiddle" <> wrote in message

    > "Keith Foster" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just bought one (in UK) and would like to know of any source of good
    >> alternative cartridges and are they (either the original Canon or
    >> compatibles) successfully refillable?
    >>
    >> I'm also having to get to grips with printer profiles and would welcome
    >> some thoughts and any appropriate links (at my age, I need to sit down
    >> with a drink and inwardly digest all this technology at leisure).
    >>
    >> Keith

    > http://www.calibrecomputing.co.uk/
    >
    > You can get cheap compatibles for £2.35 colour ones, or £2.65 Black. Free
    > P&P too!
    >
    > I have used this company for the last 4 years without any problems. If you
    > order on a Monday - they usually arrive by the end of the week.
    >
    > **SS**

    Thanks for the site, but I can only see the iP 5000, no iP 5200. The
    supplier (John Lewis) reckons they both use the same cartridges but the
    Canon UK site states CLI 8 BK, Y, M, C & PGI 5 BK for the 5200 & 6 & 3 for
    the 5000. Are they interchangeable? They look remarkably similar If the
    5200 carts are significantly more expensive and the 5000 carts are
    compatible then I'd use them. I'm not into printing photos - only bought
    the 5200 'cos the 16 year old DeskJet Plus won't auto feed and its carts
    are now very rare...and duplex printing & colour seemed a good way to go.

    Keith Foster, Feb 13, 2006
  5. Keith Foster

    ecm Guest

    Keith Foster wrote:
    > "SecretSquiddle" <> wrote in message

    SNIP
    > > http://www.calibrecomputing.co.uk/
    > >
    > > You can get cheap compatibles for £2.35 colour ones, or £2.65 Black.. Free
    > > P&P too!
    > >
    > > I have used this company for the last 4 years without any problems. If you
    > > order on a Monday - they usually arrive by the end of the week.

    > Thanks for the site, but I can only see the iP 5000, no iP 5200. The
    > supplier (John Lewis) reckons they both use the same cartridges but the
    > Canon UK site states CLI 8 BK, Y, M, C & PGI 5 BK for the 5200 & 6 & 3 for
    > the 5000. Are they interchangeable? They look remarkably similar If the
    > 5200 carts are significantly more expensive and the 5000 carts are
    > compatible then I'd use them. I'm not into printing photos - only bought
    > the 5200 'cos the 16 year old DeskJet Plus won't auto feed and its carts
    > are now very rare...and duplex printing & colour seemed a good way to go.

    The iP4200, iP5200, iP6600 and MP500 use the proprietary CLI-8 and
    CLI-5 cartridges; AFAIK there are no 3rd party replacement carts
    available. There's a place on this side of the pond (USA) that has said
    they'll have something this summer, but we'll see - apparently Canon
    has managed to patent something in the carts that may prevent _legal_
    knock-off carts. The carts are "chipped" (like Epson's) which means
    they monitor if they're being refilled, and will invalidate your
    warranty if they detect too many prints from a cartridge - whether or
    not this is legal, ethical, or good business practice, whatever. So
    far, no-one is offering a chip resetter like they for Epson's carts
    either.

    There is a way to turn off the ink level monitor so that you can refill
    your cartridges without getting the "invalidate your warranty" message,
    but I really don't know how - I'd love to hear if anyone can tell us.
    You lose the ink monitor by doing this; you don't know whether you're
    going to run out of ink in the middle of a print - you just keep
    topping up the tanks I guess. This place is offering replacement ink
    that's supposed to be compatible with CLI-8 cartridges:
    http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/u...ll_kit_for_canon_5-color_printers_4833018.htm
    but I have no idea whether they'll ship to your location. If you're
    adding ink to used carts you'll have a mixture of the colors for a
    while - could be difficult to get consistent results.

    The profiling issue will depend on what you're using for ink and paper
    - if you're using 3rd party ink it'll be different than Canon ink. If
    you're not using the printer to produce images for sale, I'd recommend
    that you forget about it - you really don't need it. For stuff like
    diagrams on plain paper it won't make a bit of difference. As for
    photos, I've been printing with Canon carts on Canon Matte (which I
    really like - great for framing) and Ilford Classic Pearl (amazing
    paper - what can I say?) without using profiles at all, and my colors
    have been pretty much spot on, printing from PS CS1, Canon's little
    utility (Easy Print or whatever), and Picasa. You should profile your
    monitor, though, so you're seeing what you think you're seeing.

    As always, YMMV. I'm sticking with Canon carts this year, at least
    until the warranty runs out - I'm getting at least 100 8x10 prints
    (give or take) from 4 cartridges(~U.S.$60), so $0.60 per page +
    $0.40-0.80 for the paper = ~$1-$1.50 each - not at all bad, quite
    acceptable to me; especially seeing as I'm getting such great results.
    I was paying $3-5 to get the same thing on Fuji Crystal Archive at the
    local store - and the colors _never_ matched, no matter what I did.

    Good Luck!
    ECM

    ecm, Feb 13, 2006
  6. Keith Foster

    Keith Foster Guest

    "ecm" <> wrote in message

    Keith Foster wrote:
    > "SecretSquiddle" <> wrote in message

    SNIP
> [...]

    really like - great for framing) and Ilford Classic Pearl (amazing
    paper - what can I say?) without using profiles at all, and my colors
    have been pretty much spot on, printing from PS CS1, Canon's little
    utility (Easy Print or whatever), and Picasa. You should profile your
    monitor, though, so you're seeing what you think you're seeing.

    As always, YMMV. I'm sticking with Canon carts this year, at least
    until the warranty runs out - I'm getting at least 100 8x10 prints
    (give or take) from 4 cartridges(~U.S.$60), so $0.60 per page +
    $0.40-0.80 for the paper = ~$1-$1.50 each - not at all bad, quite
    acceptable to me; especially seeing as I'm getting such great results.
    I was paying $3-5 to get the same thing on Fuji Crystal Archive at the
    local store - and the colors _never_ matched, no matter what I did.

    Thanks, I thought Canon didn't use chips - so that's why I couldn't find a
    5000!

    I'm now off to Google for profile a monitor, and printer profiles?

    Keith Foster, Feb 13, 2006
  7. Keith Foster

    l e o Guest

    Keith Foster wrote:
> [...]

    > utility (Easy Print or whatever), and Picasa. You should profile your
    > monitor, though, so you're seeing what you think you're seeing.
    >
    > As always, YMMV. I'm sticking with Canon carts this year, at least
    > until the warranty runs out - I'm getting at least 100 8x10 prints
    > (give or take) from 4 cartridges(~U.S.$60), so $0.60 per page +
    > $0.40-0.80 for the paper = ~$1-$1.50 each - not at all bad, quite
    > acceptable to me; especially seeing as I'm getting such great results.
    > I was paying $3-5 to get the same thing on Fuji Crystal Archive at the
    > local store - and the colors _never_ matched, no matter what I did.
    >
    > Good Luck!
    > ECM
    >
    > Thanks, I thought Canon didn't use chips - so that's why I couldn't find a
    > 5000!
    >
    > I'm now off to Google for profile a monitor, and printer profiles?

    Use Adobe Gamma for simple monitor adjustment. If you want to get a
    hardware tool, try ColorVision Spyder2. As I said before about printer
    profiling, it's kinda silly to profile when you don't use the original
    ink and paper ... ... unless you can find an ink supply that can
    guarantee you that they don't change the formula.

    l e o, Feb 13, 2006