    Any suggestions here? I did not really want or need Quicktime 7, it
    installed automatically when I loaded iTunes.
    , Dec 17, 2005

  2. On 17 Dec 2005 14:36:44 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >Hi, new here, so if this answer is out there I could not find it, did
    >try to search first.
    >
    >The problem I am facing is I am using the Photostitch software (ver
    >3.1) that came with my Canon camera and really enjoy it. I have been
    >using it for the last year to make .mov files and play them back using
    >Quicktime.
    >
    >This worked fine until I upgraded my Quicktime player to version 7.
    >Now when I try create an mov file it tells me that I must first install
    >Quicktime 3 or 4 (I was using QuickTime 6 with no problems).
    >
    >Any suggestions here? I did not really want or need Quicktime 7, it
    >installed automatically when I loaded iTunes.

    What does Canon tech support say? It's their software that is the problem.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 17, 2005

  3. Guest

    Submitted a service request through the support area of their site. No
    response yet. Was hoping that someone else has "been there".

    David
    , Dec 17, 2005
  4. On 17 Dec 2005 15:00:45 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >Submitted a service request through the support area of their site. No
    >response yet. Was hoping that someone else has "been there".

    Your OP wasn't clear. Just when do you get this message? When you are
    creating the file in the Canon software or subsequently trying to play it?
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 18, 2005
  5. Guest

    When I can stitch it together and save it in a jpg format, it is just
    when I choose Quicktime Movie format and try to save it from within
    Photostitch that I get the error message. Here is the entire message:

    ==========
    The merged image can be saved in the QuickTime VR format if you obtain
    and install QuickTime 3 or 4.
    QuickTime can be downloaded from the Apple Computer, Inc., web site.

    NOTE:please select the package that includes all the files when
    downloading the QuickTime software.

    The QuickTime VR program and the program for saving QuickTime format
    files must be installed together
    to save images in the QuickTime VR format.

    ==========

    I have downloaded the standalone installation package (which is what I
    had done for the previous version of Quicktime), but either that
    utility is no longer supplied, or I missed something.

    Just as I was posting this message, I received a reply from Canon:

    =====

    This error is occurring because PhotoStitch is not supporting the
    features that were implemented by QuickTime 7. Unfortunately, since
    PhotoStitch is no longer produced, we will not be able to offer any
    solution to this. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.

    =====

    Any thoughts, idea's, or creative solutions????

    David
    , Dec 18, 2005
  6. Guest

    I did find my old Quicktime installer (6.5) and removed 7 and put back
    6.5. Photostitch now works, but iTunes does not, sad, sad world.

    Can anyone help????

    David
    , Dec 18, 2005
  7. On 17 Dec 2005 17:38:33 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >When I can stitch it together and save it in a jpg format, it is just
    >when I choose Quicktime Movie format and try to save it from within
    >Photostitch that I get the error message. Here is the entire message:
    >
    >==========
    >The merged image can be saved in the QuickTime VR format if you obtain
    >and install QuickTime 3 or 4.
    >QuickTime can be downloaded from the Apple Computer, Inc., web site.
    >
    >NOTE:please select the package that includes all the files when
    >downloading the QuickTime software.
    >
    >The QuickTime VR program and the program for saving QuickTime format
    >files must be installed together
    >to save images in the QuickTime VR format.
    >
    >==========
    >
    >I have downloaded the standalone installation package (which is what I
    >had done for the previous version of Quicktime), but either that
    >utility is no longer supplied, or I missed something.
    >
    >Just as I was posting this message, I received a reply from Canon:
    >
    >=====
    >
    >This error is occurring because PhotoStitch is not supporting the
    >features that were implemented by QuickTime 7. Unfortunately, since
    >PhotoStitch is no longer produced, we will not be able to offer any
    >solution to this. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.
    >
    >=====
    >
    >Any thoughts, idea's, or creative solutions????

    Sounds like the Canon package makes a call to QT to save as .mov
    which is no longer valid for the newer versions of QT. Your only solution
    would seem to be to uninstall QT7 and reinstall Q6.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 18, 2005
  8. wrote:
    > I did find my old Quicktime installer (6.5) and removed 7 and put back
    > 6.5. Photostitch now works, but iTunes does not, sad, sad world.
    >
    > Can anyone help????

    Yes. Revert to an earlier version of 'Tunes...and/or

    Get a new computer, use current one for old systems..

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 18, 2005
  9. Guest

    The version of iTunes that came with my iPod came with Quicktime 7.
    Don't have an earlier version.

    Get a new computer.....I have this loaded on my laptop. Most of these
    type of pictures are when I am travelling. I like to compile them and
    verify that I got my shot.

    I have verified that I could continuously add and remove the proper
    version of Quicktime, but what pain!

    David
    , Dec 18, 2005
  10. Guest

    Tried that, and now my iPod will not work on iTunes. I am planning on
    contacting Apple and ask what they can do.

    Wish me luck.
    , Dec 18, 2005
  11. Ian O Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > This error is occurring because PhotoStitch is not supporting the
    > features that were implemented by QuickTime 7. Unfortunately, since
    > PhotoStitch is no longer produced, we will not be able to offer any
    > solution to this. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.
    >
    > =====
    >
    > Any thoughts, idea's, or creative solutions????

    I've just recently completed several successful QTVR panoramas creating
    them with Photostitch v3.1.6.31 and viewing them with QTPlayer v7.0.3.
    (am I missing something?)

    --
    ....IRO
    Ian O, Dec 19, 2005
  12. Guest

    I am using Photostitch v3.1.9.25 and I can view them fine in QT 7.03,
    but can not create them any longer. Perhaps something is different in
    the version of Photostitch you are using.

    David
    , Dec 23, 2005
  13. Roots750 Guest

    Hello
    I have just used Photostich for the first time with my new Canon camera. I
    also have QT 7 installed and I am experiencing the same problem as well as
    the same message - can't create mov files unless QT version 3 or 4 is
    installed. My question is why would I want to save the stitched file as mov
    when I can save it as a jpg and view it with any jpeg viewer?

    Thanks

    Roots750, Dec 24, 2005
  14. Roots750 Guest

    I forgot to mention the version of Photostich that came with my camera is
    3.1.14.34.
    If the scenario works for IanO, it looks like something changed in
    Photostich between Version 3.1.6.31 being used by IanO and version 3.1.9.25
    being used by customdavid.
    I'm still wondering why bother saving it as a mov file as opposed to another
    format.

    Thanks

    Roots750, Dec 24, 2005
  15. Guest

    Are you creating 360 views or just partial panoramas? For my money
    (mind I am using the >>free<< software that came with my Canon) the MOV
    file is much more a real VR type of feel. I can pan around, zoom
    in/out scroll up and down (a little). With a JPG viewer I get one long
    shot (nice for wide shots, not great for 360's). The 360 view that
    comes with Photostitch does a really nice job of this, but if I want to
    share a 360 view with someone that does not have this viewer I can just
    send them an MOV file and they can see it just fine.

    I just did a quick check and in the last 2 years and out of 10,000+
    pictures I have taken 5949 pictures that I combined for a total of 555
    panoramic images. Not all of these are 360 degree views, but a large
    percentage are.

    For the purpose of saving space, (almost 22Gb) I have taken to saving
    just the jpg and then converting to MOV only when I want to post or
    distribute.

    I love the Photostitch software, several improvements that I would like
    to have made, but can't beat it for the price. Especially after I
    started using a tripod and a Panamatic head, the results have been
    phenomenal.

    Want to continue, but trying to keep costs down. Don't really feel
    like plunking down +-$500 for some of the packages that can do this.
    If I wanted to go pro, maybe, but I'm just having fun.

    David
    , Dec 24, 2005
  16. Roots750 Guest

    Hello Customdavid
    So far I have only created panoramas. After reading your explanation I can
    see the reason for using QT, but I guess we can't use QT Version 7 to do it
    with our versions of photostich.

    Merry Christmas.

    Roots750, Dec 24, 2005
  17. Guest

    Been digging deep to find a solution. Have not found how to get
    Photostitch to work, but I am now looking at:

    http://www.pano2qtvr.com/index.php

    This can take an image and convert it to a mov file. Currently I am
    having some trouble with it, but it does look potentially promising.

    Will let you know...

    David
    , Dec 25, 2005