  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Will you piss off out of this news group as you are giving New Zealand a Bad name..

    Ken , May 22, 2007

  2. Ken

    El Chippy Guest

    Re: {deleted}

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 17:32:49 +1200, Ken Yates wrote:

    > Will you piss off out of this news group as you are giving New Zealand
    > a Bad name..

    Kill file it, and ignore it, then it won't bother you. Giving it attention
    of any sort is just feeding it.

    El Chippy, May 22, 2007

  3. Ken

    Mike Dee Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    Ken wrote:

    > Will you piss off out of this news group as you are giving New
    > Zealand a Bad name..

    Thanks for feeding the troll :p

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 22, 2007
  4. Ken

    Tim Lawson Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 08:38:58 +0200 (CEST), Mike Dee
    <> wrote:

    >Ken wrote:
    >
    >> Will you piss off out of this news group as you are giving New
    >> Zealand a Bad name..

    >Thanks for feeding the troll :p

    While on this subject, has anyone got suggestions for newsreader
    software that would allow me to set up a kill filter for a whole
    thread if it's started by a particular poster?

    Tim Lawson, May 22, 2007
  5. Ken

    Miguel Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:34:26 +1200, Tim Lawson wrote:

    > While on this subject, has anyone got suggestions for newsreader
    > software that would allow me to set up a kill filter for a whole thread
    > if it's started by a particular poster?

    If you're using Linux then Pan does the job nicely

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, May 22, 2007
  6. Ken

    BTMO Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    "Tim Lawson" <> wrote

    > While on this subject, has anyone got suggestions for newsreader
    > software that would allow me to set up a kill filter for a whole
    > thread if it's started by a particular poster?

    Outlook express allows you to tag threads to be ignored, but in typical MS
    fashion, places them ABOVE threads you have marked to watch...

    Just delete regularly...

    BTMO, May 22, 2007
  7. Ken

    El Chippy Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:34:26 +1200, Tim Lawson wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 May 2007 08:38:58 +0200 (CEST), Mike Dee
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ken wrote:
    >>
    >>> Will you piss off out of this news group as you are giving New
    >>> Zealand a Bad name..

    >>Thanks for feeding the troll :p

    > While on this subject, has anyone got suggestions for newsreader
    > software that would allow me to set up a kill filter for a whole
    > thread if it's started by a particular poster?

    And while we are at it.... one that will kill filter any message thats
    been crossposted to more than say three groups would be nice.

    El Chippy, May 22, 2007
  8. Ken

    El Chippy Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:36:37 +0200, Miguel wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:34:26 +1200, Tim Lawson wrote:
    >

    >> While on this subject, has anyone got suggestions for newsreader
    >> software that would allow me to set up a kill filter for a whole thread
    >> if it's started by a particular poster?

    > If you're using Linux then Pan does the job nicely
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Pan is available for windows too.

    I think Tim wanted to have the thread killfilled automatically rather than
    having to killfile the thread manually. AFAIK Pan doesn't have this
    capability. But i'll be quite happy to be proven wrong on that one :)

    El Chippy, May 22, 2007
  9. Ken

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:34:26 +1200, in message <>,
    Tim Lawson wrote:

    > While on this subject, has anyone got suggestions for newsreader
    > software that would allow me to set up a kill filter for a whole
    > thread if it's started by a particular poster?

    In Forte Agent 4.2, set your filter to "Ignore Thread" [***]
    and your view to "Not Ignored".

    [***] In 4.2, an "Ignore Thread" filter is actually "Ignore Subthread".

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, May 22, 2007
  10. Re: [idiot post]

    In article <>,
    says...

    > And while we are at it.... one that will kill filter any message thats
    > been crossposted to more than say three groups would be nice.

    That's what I do with Gravity. Any message that's been posted to more than 2
    groups, I never get to see.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, May 22, 2007
  11. Ken

    Keith Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > And while we are at it.... one that will kill filter any message thats
    > > been crossposted to more than say three groups would be nice.
    > >

    > That's what I do with Gravity. Any message that's been posted to more than 2
    > groups, I never get to see.

    Gravity can also do "Ignore Any Thread Started By A Specific Author"

    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/rule-ex.html

    Keith, May 22, 2007
  12. Ken

    Tim Lawson Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On 22 May 2007 20:42:54 +1200, El Chippy
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:36:37 +0200, Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:34:26 +1200, Tim Lawson wrote:
    >>

    >>> While on this subject, has anyone got suggestions for newsreader
    >>> software that would allow me to set up a kill filter for a whole thread
    >>> if it's started by a particular poster?

    >> If you're using Linux then Pan does the job nicely
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel

    >Pan is available for windows too.
    >
    >I think Tim wanted to have the thread killfilled automatically rather than
    >having to killfile the thread manually. AFAIK Pan doesn't have this
    >capability. But i'll be quite happy to be proven wrong on that one :)

    Exactly - that's what I'm after. I'd like to be able to nominate a
    sender, or a subject or whatever, and have the newsreader ignore (just
    plain not display) all threads and subthreads started by that person,
    or containing the subject text. It'd allow me to get rid of the
    threads started by canon paora, and help ressurect groups like
    soc.culture.new-zealand, which is slowly dying under the weight of
    posts that seem to have nothing to do with society, culture or New
    Zealand.

    Cheers

    Tim Lawson

    Tim Lawson, May 22, 2007
  13. Ken

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On 22 May 2007 20:38:57 +1200, in message <>,
    El Chippy wrote:

    > And while we are at it.... one that will kill filter any message thats
    > been crossposted to more than say three groups would be nice.

    Forte Agent 4.x can do this.

    [x] If a message is posted to [__3__] or more groups
    perform this action

    [__Skip the header (do not retrieve it)_____|v]

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, May 22, 2007
  14. Ken

    Tim Lawson Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:16:59 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:34:26 +1200, in message <>,
    >Tim Lawson wrote:

    >> While on this subject, has anyone got suggestions for newsreader
    >> software that would allow me to set up a kill filter for a whole
    >> thread if it's started by a particular poster?

    >In Forte Agent 4.2, set your filter to "Ignore Thread" [***]
    >and your view to "Not Ignored".
    >
    >[***] In 4.2, an "Ignore Thread" filter is actually "Ignore Subthread".

    Ralph, thank you very much, that seems to work very well.

    Bye bye Mr Paroa

    Cheers

    Tim Lawson

    Tim Lawson, May 22, 2007
  15. Ken

    Mike Dee Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:38:57 +1200, El Chippy wrote:

    > And while we are at it.... one that will kill filter any message thats
    > been crossposted to more than say three groups would be nice.

    In Pan you can edit a text file (usually called "Score" or in Windows,
    "Score.txt"

    Entering under the root heirarchy:

    [*]

    Score:: =-9999

    Newsgroups: ,.*,.*,

    The above will stop seeing crossposts to more than 3 groups. If you have a
    problem group and want to cut this down to fewer groups. For example,
    nz.comp, you would set it like this:

    [^nz\.comp$]

    Score:: =-9999

    Newsgroups: ,

    And the above, zero crossposts. Pan versions earliar than the most recent
    did not support scoring on the Newsgroups header, I believe they do now.
    If using an earlier version (such as the one I'm posting this with) you
    cannot use the Newsgroups header in the score file, it will fail.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 22, 2007
  16. In message <>, Ken
    wrote:

    > Will you piss off out of this news group as you are giving New Zealand a
    > Bad name..

    Lemon & Paora ... world famous in New Zealand.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 22, 2007
  17. Re: [idiot post]

    In message <>, Tim Lawson wrote:

    > ... soc.culture.new-zealand, which is slowly dying under the weight of
    > posts that seem to have nothing to do with society, culture or New
    > Zealand.

    Maybe they have to do with the dots or the hyphen.

    I'll get me coat...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 22, 2007
  18. Ken

    Mike Dee Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:42:54 +1200, El Chippy wrote:

    > Pan is available for windows too.
    >
    > I think Tim wanted to have the thread killfilled automatically rather than
    > having to killfile the thread manually. AFAIK Pan doesn't have this
    > capability. But i'll be quite happy to be proven wrong on that one :)

    It's fairly easy in Pan to deal with this person, and any followup-to
    posts:

    You need to edit your score file, under the hierarchy for this NG you
    would add:

    [^nz\.comp$]

    Score:: =-9999
    From: canon paora
    Subject: ****

    Explanation: Pan score files are based on Perl Compatible Regular
    Expressions or PCRE.

    The ^ means the group name begins with (in this case, nz)
    The . in PCRE is a special character which can match any one character, if
    you use it as a literal "." it must be escaped with a \ therefore,
    nz\.comp = nz.comp
    The $ means the group name ends at that point.

    Score:: "::" two colons gives the expression an OR condition. You can
    build the expression over several lines. It will score on the first or
    subsequent lines.
    =-9999 is essentially a kill score, you won't see the posts this scores on.
    From: should be self explanatory.
    Subject: "****" will score on ****, cunts, cunty, etc

    This miscreant seems to favour the c word or a variation of it so this
    is a safe bet for scoring on. You won't see any follow-up posts with this
    word in it, none that don't strip the c word out first anyway.

    If he uses other offensive words, which are uncommon or unique to this
    person you can add them to your score file in a pipe "|", eg:

    Subject: something|something else|some other word|and another

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 22, 2007
  19. Ken

    Miguel Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    Hello El Chippy....If I remember right, you're the one who put me on to
    Pan a few months ago. An excellent piece of software. Am currently
    happily using version 0.129

    Just wondering what you meant by saying...

    <snip El Chippy>
    > I think Tim wanted to have the thread killfilled automatically rather
    > than having to killfile the thread manually. AFAIK Pan doesn't have this
    > capability.

    </snip>

    How can Pan (or any newsreader) killfile a message or thread
    automatically unless you first, manually, tell it to. I manually told Pan
    to put a few annoying posters into its killfile (paora, biggles,
    don.lotto) and have seen neither hide nor hair of them since.

    Same for threads. I *manually* put annoying threads in my killfile and
    then Pan automagically killfiles it for however long I choose.

    The killfile is editable if I want to play around.

    Cross posting can be filtered if I want.

    Weekly/fortnightly bugfixes and updates.

    All in all, Pan is a great newsreader. Very easy to use for a newbie like
    me. (Having said that, it's also the *only* newsreader I've ever used so
    I've nothing really to compare it to:)

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, May 22, 2007
  20. Ken

    Miguel Guest

    Re: [idiot post]

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:51:54 +1000, Mike Dee wrote:

    > It's fairly easy in Pan to deal with this person,

    <snip>

    Thanks for that Mike. A bit deeper than I need to know (I just use point-
    click-killfiled) but interesting all the same.

    I've officially copied your post to a text file and have put it in my
    toolbox

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, May 22, 2007