Canon or Nikon or wait?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rudy--K8SWD, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. Rudy--K8SWD

    Rudy--K8SWD Guest

    I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
    purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
    Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
    the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
    has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
    is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
    With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
    than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
    me with deciding!

    Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always close,
    but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
    away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while hunting--so
    need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball, soccer,
    volleyball and basketball--and you have it!

    Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction) at
    about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS although
    slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too (and much
    lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)

    For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.

    The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
    awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
    months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?

    A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
    the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.

    I remain "unfocused"!

    Rudy
    Rudy--K8SWD, Mar 21, 2005

  2. In article <>, Rudy--K8SWD
    <> writes
    >I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    >either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
    >purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
    >Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
    >the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
    >has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
    >is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
    >With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
    >than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
    >me with deciding!
    >
    >Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always close,
    >but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
    >away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while hunting--so
    >need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball, soccer,
    >volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
    >
    > Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction) at
    >about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS although
    >slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too (and much
    >lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
    >
    >For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
    >
    >The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
    >awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
    >months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
    >
    >A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
    >the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
    >
    >I remain "unfocused"!
    >
    >Rudy

    You may well get a lot of partisan replies. I will try to resist
    this....

    The Nikon will work with most Nikon SLR lenses ever made. However, the
    various permutations of what will meter and what won't, and other minor
    details, can be bewildering.

    Either Canon will work with every EF lens made, in exactly the same way,
    but won't work at all with the pre-1986(ish) FD manual lens series.
    (Actually, you can do macro work with an adapter, no infinity focus.) As
    you are buying fresh, this should not be a big issue either way.

    Traditionally, the Nikons have had better flash, the Canons have had
    faster/better AF. This has become a little more blurred of late. The AF
    speed is somewhat lens-dependent, but all the USM lenses are very fast.

    If you intend to do serious macro work (i.e. using bellows) or
    photomicrography (taking pictures through a microscope) then the 20D is
    clearly superior, as it meters quite happily without a lens attached in
    the normal way. The D70 requires various kludges to get it to work this
    way, and friends who use it thus find it a nuisance.

    In the end, it's down to two things: which body "feels" best in your
    hand and has controls with which you feel comfortable; and which range
    of lenses contains what you want. The Canons (I have a 10D, my daughter
    a 300D) are perfectly simple to use. I am sure the D70 is also easy to
    use. In both cases, it's really a matter of what you get used to; each
    manufacturer has its own "house style" of doing things, and switching
    between brands is a lot more traumatic than moving between different
    bodies from the same maker. I'm sure any of the 3 bodies will give good
    results if you learn to use it effectively.

    For me I use Canon, simply because I started almost 30 years ago and
    never had a reason to switch. I'm quite sure I would have been equally
    happy with Nikon but for two things: I do quite a bit of
    photomicrography (see 2 paras up); and I just love the Canon TS-E lenses
    - I have 2 out of the 3. Nikon's offering in this area is a pale
    imitation.

    David
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Mar 21, 2005

  3. Rudy--K8SWD

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Rudy--K8SWD wrote:
    > I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    > either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
    > purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
    > Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
    > the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
    > has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
    > is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
    > With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
    > than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
    > me with deciding!

    I'd say get the one with the better selection of lenses. I'm more than happy
    with my Nikon D70, except a good zoom up to 200mm is going to cost me a bit more
    than if I'd gone Canon. I don't regret the purchase though.

    --
    Ben
    Ben Thomas, Mar 21, 2005
  4. Rudy--K8SWD

    Tim S. Guest

    "Rudy--K8SWD" <> wrote in message
    >I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    >either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
    >purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
    >Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
    >Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
    >the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
    >Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
    >heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
    >rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
    >Help me with deciding!
    >
    > Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
    > close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
    > pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
    > hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
    > baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
    >
    > Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
    > at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
    > although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
    > (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
    >
    > For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
    >
    > The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
    > awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
    > months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
    >
    > A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
    > the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
    >
    > I remain "unfocused"!
    >
    > Rudy

    Rudy,

    I have had my 20D for about a month now and all I can say is WOW. I'm not
    biased toward either Nikon or Canon as I was in the same boat as yourself
    and decided Canon for the glass and from reviews I had read. It's your
    decision and I don't think you could go wrong with either brand, just wanted
    you to know I picked the 20D and am very happy with my decision.

    Tim in Phoenix
    Tim S., Mar 21, 2005
  5. Rudy--K8SWD

    werdan Guest

    It sounds like you are mostly interested in sport so get a 20D. The 20D has
    by far the quickest write time of the 3. There's nothing more annoying than
    missing a shot because the camera buffer is full.

    werdan, Mar 21, 2005
  6. Rudy--K8SWD

    Tony Guest

    You are talking about good candidates for IS lenses. Canon has more and
    better IS lenses. Nikon can not catch up in this field because of the
    antiquated mount.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Mar 21, 2005
  7. Rudy--K8SWD

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > You are talking about good candidates for IS lenses. Canon has more and
    > better IS lenses. Nikon can not catch up in this field because of the
    > antiquated mount.

    Tony, Tony, Tony.

    Nikon bashing again.

    You do know no one listens to you anymore, right?
    Tom Scales, Mar 21, 2005
  8. Rudy--K8SWD

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Rudy--K8SWD wrote:
    > I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    > either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
    > purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
    > Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
    > the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
    > has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
    > is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
    > With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
    > than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
    > me with deciding!
    >
    > Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always close,
    > but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
    > away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while hunting--so
    > need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball, soccer,
    > volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
    >
    > Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction) at
    > about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS although
    > slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too (and much
    > lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
    >
    > For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
    >
    > The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
    > awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
    > months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
    >
    > A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
    > the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
    >
    > I remain "unfocused"!
    >
    > Rudy

    Hi,
    Waiting is not an option.
    You gotta plunge. We have D70 and Digital EOS. My two kids use them all
    the time. Both have basic lens plus one telephoto(70-200). I am still
    struggling with P&S(Canon G3 and Olympus C5060), hi.
    Good luck,
    Tony, VE6CGX
    Tony Hwang, Mar 21, 2005
  9. "Rudy--K8SWD" <> wrote in message
    >I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    >either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
    >purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
    >Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
    >Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
    >the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
    >Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
    >heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
    >rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
    >Help me with deciding!
    >
    > Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
    > close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
    > pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
    > hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
    > baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
    >
    > Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
    > at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
    > although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
    > (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
    >
    > For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.

    Canon will do 1/500 with external flash.

    Also you can get a used professional 1D (fastest AF and FPS on the planet)
    for just a few hundred more than a new 20D.
    Dave R knows who, Mar 21, 2005
  10. Rudy--K8SWD

    Matt Ion Guest

    Rudy--K8SWD wrote:

    > I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    > either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
    > purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
    > Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion. Also,
    > the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but the 20D
    > has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The Rebel XT
    > is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the heaviest.
    > With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70 rather
    > than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it! Help
    > me with deciding!
    >
    > Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always close,
    > but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually pretty far
    > away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while hunting--so
    > need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices' baseball, soccer,
    > volleyball and basketball--and you have it!

    Your shooting requirements should lean you more towards the Canon - not
    just for the variety of lenses available, but for their superior overall
    AF (especially with the USM lenses), the range of faster lenses, and
    their ever-growing line of IS-equipped (image stabilization) glass.
    Matt Ion, Mar 22, 2005
  11. Rudy--K8SWD

    Roger Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:27:10 -0500, "Rudy--K8SWD" <>
    wrote:

    >I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    >either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand.

    I'm very Nikon centric, but if you are not committed buy the model
    that has the best viewfinder for you. If you are buying new lenses or
    used late model stuff there is not reason to put any merit on what the
    new body and support historically. Even if you are staying within a
    favorite product line, when it comes to DSLR a serious system ends up
    being a DSLR system within a system. The crop factor points you
    towards new lenses to handle the WA needs (maybe not in your case if
    most of your shooting is action at a distance) and the strobes need to
    be the latest models to correctly interface with the new body. If you
    stay with the motor-in-the-lens lenses the Nikon AFS and Canon USM
    lenses will be nearly equal performers. I think the Nikon iTTL system
    is very slick, but it doesn't sound like you are looking for multiple
    flash system setups. The daylight fill flash and the 1/500 sec strobe
    sync is a very good feature, but again that doesn't sound like it's in
    your current photographic emphasis.

    A fast, long lens is going to be tough to tote on a deer hunt, you may
    want to give that some thought, especially if the brush and altitude
    changes where you hunt is anything like the mountains of Idaho where I
    used to tag along.

    From how I read your requirements, I think you could pick the camera
    that feels good to you, functions quickly for your sports
    requirements, meets the buffer requirements for what you envision for
    your multiple shooting and go from there. The rest of the stuff be
    hanged. FWIW: When shooing kid's sports actions, especially those
    where you can anticipate jumps, and action in a confined location I
    found that I was able to cover what I wanted with three shot bursts.
    And when I didn't have the benefit of a motorized camera I was very
    happy with one well timed shot.

    You are in a very good position to come in with a clean slate. Keep it
    that way and forget the history of these systems. Get the one that
    will take the pictures you want and stay "focused" on your kids
    activities.

    I think you've pretty well named your requirements and the answer is
    already in your post. The canon system sounds to me like it will cover
    your needs very well. If you are depending on a shutter speed to stop
    action, don't be fooled by stabilized lens equivalent apertures. The
    stabilization allows you to hold the camera steady for lower light
    shots but at the expense of a slower shutter speed. That may not be
    what you want for sports.

    Regards,
    Roger
    Roger, Mar 22, 2005
  12. Rudy--K8SWD

    Sheldon Guest

    "Rudy--K8SWD" <> wrote in message
    >I would like to get a DSLR. I don't have any glass that would work with
    >either Canon or Nikon so I am not committed to either brand. For my
    >purposes, a D70, 350XT Rebel or a Canon 20D would take equally good photos.
    >Sure, the 8mp sounds nice, but it is just larger files in my opinion.
    >Also, the Nikon appears to be easier to use on the fly than the 20D, but
    >the 20D has a nice 5 fps shooting rate versus 3 fps of the other two. The
    >Rebel XT is the lightest of the 3, the 20D feels the best, but is also the
    >heaviest. With the rebates on right now, I am really tempted to get the D70
    >rather than the Canons, but I like the Canon glass and there is more of it!
    >Help me with deciding!
    >
    > Primary shooting will be daughter on horseback (shows) so not always
    > close, but good lighting. My son on motocross bike and track--usually
    > pretty far away but good lighting. Photos of wildlife, usually deer while
    > hunting--so need low light fast glass here too. Through in my neices'
    > baseball, soccer, volleyball and basketball--and you have it!
    >
    > Both C&N have 70-200 f/2.8 image stablized lenses (vibration reduction)
    > at about the same price, but Canon has a few "prosumer" lenses with IS
    > although slower at f/4.0 or smaller that look nicely made and compact too
    > (and much lighter than the 4 lb. f2.8 zooms)
    >
    > For action--the Nikon has the 1/500 fill flash sync speed.
    >
    > The XT is fresh out. It "feels" flimsy in my hands. The 20D "feels"
    > awsome. The D70 feels pretty good too--but it has been out for about 14
    > months or so. I wonder what Nikon has to as a followup to the XT and 20D?
    >
    > A lot of people say the D70 is easier to use than the Canons--but go with
    > the 20D if sport shooting is my primary aim.
    >
    > I remain "unfocused"!
    >
    > Rudy

    Can't go wrong with either one. Most go with whatever camera they already
    have lenses for. For me that was the D70, as I already had a bunch of older
    Nikon lenses that fit the camera, even though I can't use the camera's
    metering system. I did get the "kit" lens with the camera, and figure that
    will work for me 90 percent of the time.

    If you are starting from scratch, go into any store and pick up both cameras
    and take a few shots. One will probably feel better to you, and I doubt
    you'd be able to tell the difference in image quality.

    Think about it this way: Most people would be thrilled to be in a position
    deciding between these two cameras. If you still can't decide, flip a coin.
    ;-) Either side wins.
    Sheldon, Mar 22, 2005
  13. Rudy--K8SWD

    Boch Guest

    You will get those that love the 20-D/and the same from the D-70 users....I
    have no problem..With the D-70....

    --
    _________________-
    BOCH

    Boch, Mar 22, 2005
  14. Rudy--K8SWD

    Boch Guest

    Ahh Tony, it would be a boring world if everyone...had the same
    camera....You always miss the real issue...PEOPLE TAKE THE PICTURES!...Not
    the damn camera....

    --
    _________________-
    BOCH

    Boch, Mar 22, 2005
  15. Rudy--K8SWD

    Rudy, K8SWD Guest

    Well thank you all for taking the time to try to answer my posts. Yes--I am
    leaning towards Canon. Perhaps I should simply by an XT now, put the extra
    money I would have spent on the 20D towards nice glass such as the 70-200 IS
    2f2.8L and see what replaces the 20D down the road. I could always sell the
    XT or give it to my sister. The XT definately appeals to me as far as size
    ans weight goes. One poster who said most action can be covered with a 3
    shot burst with good planning sorta hit home with me. I can do that well at
    the ski area with my C5050.

    How can the flash sync on the 20D be bumped to 1/500? That would be the
    ultimate (actually 1/1000 would be) for action shots where flash is allowed
    or proper.

    I don't hunt in the mountains (yet) and I drag deer with a tractor. The
    last buck I killed was 150 yards from the house and the one before that was
    even closer. Big lens not a problem--heck--I have been carrying a ham radio
    station out to my ground blind no problem--what's another 5 lbs?

    I guess I still have a few more days to decide on the D70 due to
    rebates--but I am leaning Canon. I have been an FD Canon user with several
    bodies and lenses for years--but like some said--it is clean slate time. I
    also like the Olympus E-1 but I am not sold on 4/3 and there are so few
    lenses to choose from. The splash proofness is sweet but easy to work
    around while outside.

    I guess it all boils down to what feels good, do I need 3fps or 5fps, flash
    sync, and what is easiest to use (quickest to use and change).

    I am somewhat dissapointed in what Nikon has to offer as far as lens--but
    then Canon almost seems to have too many choices. OH well--more thinking I
    guess!

    Thanks all for wonderful insite and thought.

    Rudy, K8SWD, Mar 22, 2005
  16. One thing that I don't think people talk often enough about is that after
    you get your digital SLR, you get to have the time now to get used to it.
    It is not like a point-and-shoot at all - I have a Canon digital SLR and it
    took me quite a few months to realize that I between the camera and my PC, I
    had the equivalent of a camera + darkroom at my disposal and that I should
    treat it as such. When I realized that, and I developed my own simple
    workflow with PaintShop, then then the quality and predictability of my
    results from the digital SLR improved tremendously, and I've not been
    disappointed.

    Churchill, Dave, Mar 22, 2005
  17. Rudy--K8SWD

    C J Campbell Guest

    I am very happy with the D70. The 20D was not available when I got it --
    Canon seems to be a little behind Nikon in introducing new cameras; whenever
    Nikon brings out a new camera Canon brings one out about six months later
    with a few more pixels at a somewhat higher price. This is what passes for
    "innovation" at Canon...

    Anyway, I would get whatever camera felt the best in my hand. When I got the
    Nikon, it just felt right, whereas I found the Canons available at the time
    to be somewhat awkward. However, I like the feel of the 20D.

    The differences in photo quality between all the cameras are too small to be
    of any practical benefit. Choose your camera on the basis of how it feels
    and whether it has the features you would really use.
    C J Campbell, Mar 22, 2005
  18. Rudy--K8SWD

    Rudy--K8SWD Guest

    Thanks CJ--that is sort of the way I have been leaning. I really like the C
    glass, but N is good too.

    I am not sure yet what I am going to do.

    It would cost me about $1,200.00 more to go with the Canon 20D, 17-85 IS,
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 580EX flash than it would to go with the Nikon D70, 18-70,
    70-200 f2/8G VR zoom, and SB-600 flash. This takes into consideration
    $350.00 in Nikon rebates too. What I see happening soon is Nikon coming out
    with an answer to the 20D and XT Canons because it has been about 14 months
    since the D70 came out (the reason for the rebate incentives).

    I already have computers and digital darkroom.

    Thanks all!

    Rudy--K8SWD, Mar 22, 2005
  19. Rudy--K8SWD

    Guest

    I'd suggest the wait option simply because you listed it. If waiting is an
    option, then that suggests you don't need a digital camera today. The
    longer you wait, you'll be able to buy better digital cameras for cheaper.

    If you need one now, you'd know it and waiting wouldn't be an option. :)

    I prefer Canons. Sold my Nikon system a while ago and haven't looked back.
    Ironically, the reason I bought into Nikon was because they hadn't changed
    their mount while Canon was doing just that. The reason I jumped ship is
    because Nikon hadn't changed their mount and Canon had. You can't go wrong
    with either. In fact, I'll toss out another option. The Pentax *ist is
    getting very favorable reviews. If you're not married to either Canon or
    Nikon by your existing collection of lenses, the Pentax might be worth
    checking out. The Olympus 4/3 systems aren't bad, either. If I recall
    correctly, they have a pretty decent zoom out with a constant f/2 aperture.
    That's very tempting, and I don't own any zooms anymore. :)

    --
    Eric
    http://canid.com/
  20. Rudy--K8SWD

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Rudy--K8SWD" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks CJ--that is sort of the way I have been leaning. I really like the

    > glass, but N is good too.
    >
    > I am not sure yet what I am going to do.
    >
    > It would cost me about $1,200.00 more to go with the Canon 20D, 17-85 IS,
    > 70-200 f2.8L IS, 580EX flash than it would to go with the Nikon D70,

    18-70,
    > 70-200 f2/8G VR zoom, and SB-600 flash. This takes into consideration
    > $350.00 in Nikon rebates too. What I see happening soon is Nikon coming

    out
    > with an answer to the 20D and XT Canons because it has been about 14

    months
    > since the D70 came out (the reason for the rebate incentives).

    I don't think the D70 is going to be replaced this year. Any 'answer' to the
    20D would be a replacement for the D100. So you have to ask yourself, do you
    want last year's technology in the 20D at a price $1200 more than a D70, or
    do you want to wait for the D200? If it came to a choice between those two,
    I would take the 20D. You can spend the rest of your life waiting for the
    next greatest thing. But throw the D70 in the mix, I would take that. The
    20D is beautiful, but it is not worth that much more money to me.
    C J Campbell, Mar 23, 2005