Canon / Olympics advert

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue, page 13 there is a sideline shot of an athlete
    hamming it up for the photographer line. There are perhaps 5 non-white lenses
    amongst about 30.

    The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of choice for
    90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of the top
    newspapers in the country."

    The photo credit includes: "Photo Smiley Pool/Dallas Morning News.", "Canon EOS
    1D Mk II, EF 400 f/2.8 IS + 1.4 TC. ISO 800 1/500 f/4" ...just to rub it in, I
    guess...

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue,

    Yech, you read that rag?

    > The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of

    choice for
    > 90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of

    the top
    > newspapers in the country."

    Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white as
    well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare birds),
    the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing the
    white stuff.

    , Dec 15, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    jimkramer Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    > In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue, page 13 there is a sideline shot of an
    > athlete hamming it up for the photographer line. There are perhaps 5
    > non-white lenses amongst about 30.
    >
    > The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of choice
    > for 90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of
    > the top newspapers in the country."
    >
    > The photo credit includes: "Photo Smiley Pool/Dallas Morning News.",
    > "Canon EOS 1D Mk II, EF 400 f/2.8 IS + 1.4 TC. ISO 800 1/500 f/4" ...just
    > to rub it in, I guess...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    > -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    But did you enjoy the "Eye of the Beholder" - Nikon's Small World
    photomicroscopy on Page 72?

    Jim (sick of advertising) Kramer

    jimkramer, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Alan Browne

    Skip M Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >
    >> In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue,

    > Yech, you read that rag?
    >
    >> The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of

    > choice for
    >> 90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of

    > the top
    >> newspapers in the country."

    > Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white as
    > well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare birds),
    > the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing the
    > white stuff.

    You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass in
    a shade of grey, don't you?

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Alan Browne wrote:
    > >
    > >> In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue,

    > > Yech, you read that rag?
    > >
    > >> The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of

    > > choice for
    > >> 90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of

    > > the top
    > >> newspapers in the country."

    > > Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white as
    > > well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare birds),
    > > the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing the
    > > white stuff.
    > >

    > You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass

    in
    > a shade of grey, don't you?

    Yes, but how many of those have you spotted? I've never seen one.

    BTW--I think that was about the dumbest marketing ploy ever imagined by
    Nikon. The only way that could have ever benefited them would have been if
    they completely stopped selling the black ones.

    Mark², Dec 16, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    Skip M Guest

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Yech, you read that rag?

    >> > choice for
    >> > the top
    >> >
    >> > Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white as
    >> > well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare birds),
    >> > the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing the
    >> > white stuff.
    >> >

    >> You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass

    > in
    >> a shade of grey, don't you?

    > Yes, but how many of those have you spotted? I've never seen one.
    >
    > BTW--I think that was about the dumbest marketing ploy ever imagined by
    > Nikon. The only way that could have ever benefited them would have been
    > if
    > they completely stopped selling the black ones.

    How can you tell? At that distance, they look pretty much the same! <G>
    And even that wouldn't help, the black ones stood out from the crowd, now,
    it looks like it's all Canon, even if half of them are Nikons!

    Skip M, Dec 16, 2004
  7. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message

    > > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > >> <> wrote in message

    of

    as

    birds),

    the

    > >> You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big

    glass
    > > in
    > >> a shade of grey, don't you?

    > > Yes, but how many of those have you spotted? I've never seen one.
    > >
    > > BTW--I think that was about the dumbest marketing ploy ever imagined by
    > > Nikon. The only way that could have ever benefited them would have been
    > > if
    > > they completely stopped selling the black ones.
    > >

    > How can you tell? At that distance, they look pretty much the same! <G>
    > And even that wouldn't help, the black ones stood out from the crowd, now,
    > it looks like it's all Canon, even if half of them are Nikons!

    That's actually what I meant to imply. Since they still mainly market the
    black ones, everyone would assume the white ones are Canon--since public
    awareness of white Nikons is pretty non-exixtent, which defeats the idea of
    beating Canon in their "massive numbers look" in the eyes of the public.
    Frankly, I tend to think a lot of Nikon shooters wouldn't buy white
    versions--if only to feel as though they are some sort of "Nikon Purist" or
    some such Leica-esque mindset silliness.

    Mark², Dec 16, 2004
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Dec 16, 2004
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Skip M wrote:

    > You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass in
    > a shade of grey, don't you?

    Actually Minolta white lenses are almost white-white. I don't know of any
    Nikons that are white. Pentax have a quite wierd looking silver-grey.

    Alan Browne, Dec 16, 2004
  10. Alan Browne

    Doug Payne Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > I don't know of any Nikons that are white.

    Have a look at some of the fast AF tele's. I think all of 300,400,500,600
    are available in both light and dark, light being more grey than white.

    Doug Payne, Dec 16, 2004
  11. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2004