    Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries at
    a reasonable price?
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Bob Williams wrote:
    > I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    > Prices vary all over the place.
    > A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon

    badge.
    > In fact no badge at all.
    > They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but

    they
    > only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    > charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely

    charged.
    > Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the

    > voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it

    doesnt
    > take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition.
    > It was a complete waste of money.
    > Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries

    at
    > a reasonable price?

    Bob, did you google for the keywords "NB-2L" before you posted this?

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=469528&sku=D135-1110

    Manufactured by: Digicom
    Mfg Part No: CANON-NB2L
    Shipping Weight: 1.0 pound
    Limited Warranty:
    12 months parts; 12 months labor
    $24.99

    Hope this helps,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 28, 2004

  3. I suggest these:

    http://www.batterybarn.com/nb2l.htm

    I've been using batteries for my Canon cameras from this source for several
    years.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Bob Williams

    kpfeif Guest

    Bob Williams <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    > Prices vary all over the place.
    > A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon badge.
    > In fact no badge at all.
    > They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    > only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    > charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    > Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    > voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    > take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition.
    > It was a complete waste of money.
    > Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries at
    > a reasonable price?
    > Bob Williams

    I have the Canon S45, also. I purchased a Power2000 branded NB-2L
    battery when I bought the camera. I have found that this battery
    lasts longer than the Canon battery supplied with the camera.

    kpfeif, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Bob Williams <> writes:

    > They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    > only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    > charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    > Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    > voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    > take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition.
    > It was a complete waste of money.

    Check http://www.primecell.com/ and see if they can rebuild the batteries
    for you for less than the cost of a new "good" set. I've had several
    batteries rebuilt there with no problems and at less cost than buying new
    replacements.
    The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email to philip@
    http://www.cieux.com/ | my domain is read daily.

    Phil Stripling, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Phil Stripling wrote:
    > Bob Williams <> writes:
    >

    >>They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    >>only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    >>charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    >>Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    >>voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    >>take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition.
    >>It was a complete waste of money.

    > Check http://www.primecell.com/ and see if they can rebuild the batteries
    > for you for less than the cost of a new "good" set. I've had several
    > batteries rebuilt there with no problems and at less cost than buying new
    > replacements.

    Thanks for the heads up on Primecell battery rebuilders.
    Unfortunately, they cannot rebuild Li-Ion batteries at this time. :-(
    The NB-2L is a Li-Ion battery.
    Bob

    Bob Williams, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >
    >>I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    >>Prices vary all over the place.
    >>A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon

    > badge.
    >
    >>In fact no badge at all.
    >>They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but

    > they
    >
    >>only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    >>charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely

    > charged.
    >
    >>Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the

    >>voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it

    > doesnt
    >
    >>take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition.
    >>It was a complete waste of money.
    >>Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries

    > at
    >
    >>a reasonable price?

    > Bob, did you google for the keywords "NB-2L" before you posted this?
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=469528&sku=D135-1110
    >
    > Manufactured by: Digicom
    > Mfg Part No: CANON-NB2L
    > Shipping Weight: 1.0 pound
    > Limited Warranty:
    > 12 months parts; 12 months labor
    > $24.99
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Siddhartha

    A Google search of NB-2L batteries was my first step.
    That's where I found out there was such a HUGE variety of sources and
    prices for the NB-2L battery.
    The problem is, which sources are reliable and which are offering
    factory rejects, customer returns or "refurbished" batteries.
    I got stung once. What I need now, is info from an actual USER of an
    NB-2L battery from the recommended source.
    Have you actually used a Li-Ion battery from Digicom and can personally
    recommend it?
    Thanks.....Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 28, 2004
  8. Bob Williams <> writes:

    > Unfortunately, they cannot rebuild Li-Ion batteries at this time. :-(
    > The NB-2L is a Li-Ion battery.

    Yeah, I keep forgetting they don't rebuild Li-Ions, and I never know what
    the battery is in any specific device. I ought to mention that when I post
    about them. My aplogies.

    Phil Stripling, Oct 29, 2004
  9. Bob Williams

    Tony Guest

    >I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    > Prices vary all over the place.
    > A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon badge. In
    > fact no badge at all.
    > They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    > only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    > charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    > Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    > voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    > take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition. It
    > was a complete waste of money.
    > Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries at a
    > reasonable price?
    > Bob Williams

    Bob, I have also been stung on one NB-2L non-Canon on eBay, but have gotten
    two good ones as well. I was lucky that the for the bad one that I got the
    seller was nice enough to refund my money. I agree that it is a little bit
    of a crap shoot.

    One thing I've noticed about Canon chargers: they don't seem to be able to
    charge higher capacity batteries. I don't know if this is true for other
    camera makers, but the Canon charger for my S45 and the one for the S1 IS
    cannot charge any batteries with a higher capacity than the original issue.
    I recommend that if you go with any of the 700 mAh NB-2L that you get a
    charger that will work with them.

    Tony, Oct 30, 2004
  10. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    >>Prices vary all over the place.
    >>A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon badge. In
    >>fact no badge at all.
    >>They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    >>only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    >>charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    >>Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    >>voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    >>take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition. It
    >>was a complete waste of money.
    >>Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries at a
    >>reasonable price?
    >>Bob Williams
    >>

    > Bob, I have also been stung on one NB-2L non-Canon on eBay, but have gotten
    > two good ones as well. I was lucky that the for the bad one that I got the
    > seller was nice enough to refund my money. I agree that it is a little bit
    > of a crap shoot.
    >
    > One thing I've noticed about Canon chargers: they don't seem to be able to
    > charge higher capacity batteries. I don't know if this is true for other
    > camera makers, but the Canon charger for my S45 and the one for the S1 IS
    > cannot charge any batteries with a higher capacity than the original issue.
    > I recommend that if you go with any of the 700 mAh NB-2L that you get a
    > charger that will work with them.

    WOW! Thanks for that bit of advice. I did not know that.
    I just ordered a pair of brand name (Not Canon) NB-2L batteries. They
    were 700 mAh instead of the conventional Canon OEM 570 mAh type.
    If I run into trouble charging those puppies, I guess I'll have to buy
    yet another charger :-(
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 30, 2004
  11. Bob Williams

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Bob, I have also been stung on one NB-2L non-Canon on eBay, but have gotten
    > two good ones as well. I was lucky that the for the bad one that I got the
    > seller was nice enough to refund my money. I agree that it is a little bit
    > of a crap shoot.

    It is a bit of a crap shoot :)

    I bought two aftermarket BP-511 batteries from eBay.. I got them on different
    dates from different sellers. One was a dud, the other was as good if not better
    than the original Canon brand.

    I could have sent the dud battery back, but it was so cheap, the cost of shipping
    it would have been about the same as the refund.

    Ya get what you pay for :)

    Jim Townsend, Oct 30, 2004
  12. Bob Williams

    Tony Guest

    > Tony wrote:
    >> "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    >>>Prices vary all over the place.
    >>>A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon badge.
    >>>In fact no badge at all.
    >>>They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    >>>only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    >>>charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    >>>Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    >>>voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    >>>take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition. It
    >>>was a complete waste of money.
    >>>Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries at a
    >>>reasonable price?
    >>>Bob Williams
    >>>

    >> Bob, I have also been stung on one NB-2L non-Canon on eBay, but have
    >> gotten two good ones as well. I was lucky that the for the bad one that I
    >> got the seller was nice enough to refund my money. I agree that it is a
    >> little bit of a crap shoot.
    >>
    >> One thing I've noticed about Canon chargers: they don't seem to be able
    >> to charge higher capacity batteries. I don't know if this is true for
    >> other camera makers, but the Canon charger for my S45 and the one for the
    >> S1 IS cannot charge any batteries with a higher capacity than the
    >> original issue. I recommend that if you go with any of the 700 mAh NB-2L
    >> that you get a charger that will work with them.

    > WOW! Thanks for that bit of advice. I did not know that.
    > I just ordered a pair of brand name (Not Canon) NB-2L batteries. They were
    > 700 mAh instead of the conventional Canon OEM 570 mAh type.
    > If I run into trouble charging those puppies, I guess I'll have to buy yet
    > another charger :-(
    > Bob Williams

    Good luck. I'm curious to find out if your Canon charger will work with
    those 700 mAh batteries. Please post when you have the results.

    Tony, Oct 30, 2004
  13. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    I expect to recieve them on Thursday.
    I'm leaving on Vacation Saturday.
    I'll try to give them a quick test and report back before I leave.
    Bob

    Bob Williams, Oct 31, 2004
  14. Bob Williams

    Ray R Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    > Prices vary all over the place.
    > A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon badge.
    > In fact no badge at all.
    > They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    > only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    > charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    > Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    > voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    > take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition. It
    > was a complete waste of money.
    > Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries at
    > a reasonable price?
    > Bob Williams

    I bought NB-2L generic batteries from SterlingTek about
    6 months ago. Better than the original that I got from Canon.
    They are 950 MaH and are $8.99

    Ray R, Oct 31, 2004
  15. Bob Williams

    Tony Guest

    "Ray R" <> wrote in message
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >> I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    >> Prices vary all over the place.
    >> A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon badge.
    >> In fact no badge at all.
    >> They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    >> only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    >> charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    >> Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    >> voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    >> take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition. It
    >> was a complete waste of money.
    >> Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries at a
    >> reasonable price?
    >> Bob Williams
    >>

    > I bought NB-2L generic batteries from SterlingTek about
    > 6 months ago. Better than the original that I got from Canon.
    > They are 950 MaH and are $8.99

    Ray, I thought the largest aftermarket NB-2L was 700 mAh. I looked at the
    SterlingTek website and could not find these 900 MaH batteries. Do you have
    a link?

    Tony, Oct 31, 2004
  16. Bob Williams

    Ray R Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > "Ray R" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bob Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need a pair of NB-2L batteries for my Canon S45.
    >>>Prices vary all over the place.
    >>>A few months ago I bought a pair for about $20 on eBay. No Canon badge.
    >>>In fact no badge at all.
    >>>They came professionally packaged in a nice Blister Pack etc., but they
    >>>only operated the camera for about 10 minutes. Then,it only took the
    >>>charger about 10 minutes to indicate the cells were completely charged.
    >>>Sounds like the cells have a high internal resistance which drops the
    >>>voltage to an unacceptablly low value during use. Similarly, it doesnt
    >>>take much charge to raise the voltage to it "full charge" condition. It
    >>>was a complete waste of money.
    >>>Has anyone found a source of GOOD totally compatible NB-2L batteries at a
    >>>reasonable price?
    >>>Bob Williams
    >>>

    >>I bought NB-2L generic batteries from SterlingTek about
    >>6 months ago. Better than the original that I got from Canon.
    >>They are 950 MaH and are $8.99

    > Ray, I thought the largest aftermarket NB-2L was 700 mAh. I looked at the
    > SterlingTek website and could not find these 900 MaH batteries. Do you have
    > a link?

    http://www.sterlingtek.com/digital-camera-batteries-canon-digital-camera-batteries.html

    They have NB-2L and NB-2LH which appear to be identical. 950 MaH

    I have not measured output. They give me about 100 to 150 pictures on
    my S230. The battery that came with the camera did about 3/4 as many.
    The original battery started to get weak at about 1500 picture. The
    pair of sterlingtek have done 4500 pictures and are still going strong.

    Ray

    Ray R, Oct 31, 2004
  17. Bob Williams

    Tony Guest

    "Ray R" <> wrote in message
    > Tony wrote:
    >> "Ray R" <> wrote in message

    >>>I bought NB-2L generic batteries from SterlingTek about
    >>>6 months ago. Better than the original that I got from Canon.
    >>>They are 950 MaH and are $8.99

    >> Ray, I thought the largest aftermarket NB-2L was 700 mAh. I looked at the
    >> SterlingTek website and could not find these 900 MaH batteries. Do you
    >> have a link?

    > http://www.sterlingtek.com/digital-camera-batteries-canon-digital-camera-batteries.html
    >
    > They have NB-2L and NB-2LH which appear to be identical. 950 MaH
    >
    > I have not measured output. They give me about 100 to 150 pictures on my
    > S230. The battery that came with the camera did about 3/4 as many. The
    > original battery started to get weak at about 1500 picture. The pair of
    > sterlingtek have done 4500 pictures and are still going strong.
    >
    > Ray

    Ray, I think there is a little confusion here. Your S230 does not use a
    NB-2L, but a NB-1LH, which is offered in a 900 mAh size. SterlingTek's best
    NB-2LH is 800 mAh, and costs a bit more than $8.99 (actually $19.99).

    Tony, Nov 1, 2004
  18. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > I expect to recieve them on Thursday.
    > I'm leaving on Vacation Saturday.
    > I'll try to give them a quick test and report back before I leave.
    > Bob
    >
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> WOW! Thanks for that bit of advice. I did not know that.
    >>> I just ordered a pair of brand name (Not Canon) NB-2L batteries. They
    >>> were 700 mAh instead of the conventional Canon OEM 570 mAh type.
    >>> If I run into trouble charging those puppies, I guess I'll have to
    >>> buy yet another charger :-(
    >>> Bob Williams
    >>>

    >> Good luck. I'm curious to find out if your Canon charger will work
    >> with those 700 mAh batteries. Please post when you have the results.

    Received the 700 mAh batteries yesterday and charged them with my Canon
    S45 charger. It seemed to work OK. Took about 1 Hr. to charge and the
    batteries got acceptably warm (normal) toward the end of the cycle.
    I'll see how long they operate the camera. That is the acid test.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 6, 2004
  19. Bob Williams

    Tony Guest

    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >> I expect to recieve them on Thursday.
    >> I'm leaving on Vacation Saturday.
    >> I'll try to give them a quick test and report back before I leave.
    >> Bob
    >>
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> Good luck. I'm curious to find out if your Canon charger will work with
    >>> those 700 mAh batteries. Please post when you have the results.
    >>>

    > Received the 700 mAh batteries yesterday and charged them with my Canon
    > S45 charger. It seemed to work OK. Took about 1 Hr. to charge and the
    > batteries got acceptably warm (normal) toward the end of the cycle.
    > I'll see how long they operate the camera. That is the acid test.
    > Bob Williams

    Hmm. Maybe there's a cutoff somewhere. I don't have 700 mAh batteries to
    test, but I do have one 850 mAh and one 900 mAh. The 850 will charge to
    completion (only) if I use a rubber band to hold the battery tight in the
    charging slot. The 900 will not. I wonder if there is more heat given off by
    these larger batteries when they charge, initiating some kind of poor
    physical or electrical contact in the charger.

    Tony, Nov 7, 2004