    Than

    --
    Rebecca1984
    Rebecca1984, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Rebecca1984

    Skip M Guest

    "Rebecca1984" <> wrote in message
    news:1112670583.64f420e195c765400c1eaf82559c4f5d@teranews...

    > hi I have a canon 20d and was wondering
    > if mkII owners think it's worth nearly 3 times the price to move up? I
    > really do not want to spend money on something that isnt really worth
    > all that extra when possibly there is something similar out there.
    > Thanx
    >

    > --
    > Rebecca1984

    It depends on what you're planning in doing with it. If you're planning on
    slogging through the Amazon jungle, or photographing the Baja 1000 or
    Paris-Dakar, or covering the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, you probably can't
    live without the 1D mkII. On the other hand, if your planning on shooting
    weddings, going to the occasional sports car race and shooting portraits,
    like I do, the 20D is probably more than sufficient.
    I have a buddy who has the 1D mkII, he bought it just before the 20D came
    out. He sometimes wishes he had the $2500 he wouldn't have spent, but,
    then, he didn't have to put up with lockups like I did when the 20D first
    arrived. We both do pretty much the same thing with our cameras, he does a
    little more urban scenery, I do a little more studio work. In fact, one of
    the regs here got a photo of Max and me shooting a vintage car race, side by
    side! My 20D has, since the firmware upgrades, kept up with his 1D mkII
    quite well, even if it only shoots 5fps vs. 8fps...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Rebecca1984

    Paul Revere Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:52:06 -0700, Rebecca1984 wrote
    (in article <1112670583.64f420e195c765400c1eaf82559c4f5d@teranews>):

    > hi I have a canon 20d and was wondering
    > if mkII owners think it's worth nearly 3 times the price to move up? Ireally

    > do not want to spend money on something that isnt really worthall that extra

    > when possibly there is something similar out there.Thanx-- Rebecca1984

    Other than having many more features, some of which you may never use, the
    big advantage to the mark II is weather-proofing and ability to get great
    looking prints up to size A2 (possibly larger).

    If you don't need the weather-proofing and won't need prints that big, save
    your money.

    If you DO want big prints, no other DSLR will compare.
    Paul Revere, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Rebecca1984

    Skip M Guest

    "Paul Revere" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:52:06 -0700, Rebecca1984 wrote
    > (in article <1112670583.64f420e195c765400c1eaf82559c4f5d@teranews>):
    >
    >> hi I have a canon 20d and was wondering
    >> if mkII owners think it's worth nearly 3 times the price to move up?
    >> Ireally

    >> do not want to spend money on something that isnt really worthall that
    >> extra

    >> when possibly there is something similar out there.Thanx-- Rebecca1984

    > Other than having many more features, some of which you may never use, the
    > big advantage to the mark II is weather-proofing and ability to get great
    > looking prints up to size A2 (possibly larger).
    >
    > If you don't need the weather-proofing and won't need prints that big,
    > save
    > your money.
    >
    > If you DO want big prints, no other DSLR will compare.

    I was sort of wondering which mkII she was referring to. Her reference to
    "nearly 3 times the price" led me to think she was talking about the 1D
    mkII, which is 8mp, as is the 20D. The 1Ds mkII is about 5 times the price
    of the 20D...

    Skip M, Apr 6, 2005
  5. Rebecca1984

    Paul Revere Guest

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:08:08 -0700, Skip M wrote
    (in article <41L4e.3596$k57.2207@fed1read07>):

    > "Paul Revere" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:52:06 -0700, Rebecca1984 wrote
    >> (in article <1112670583.64f420e195c765400c1eaf82559c4f5d@teranews>):
    >>
    >>> hi I have a canon 20d and was wondering
    >>> if mkII owners think it's worth nearly 3 times the price to move up?
    >>> Ireally

    >>> do not want to spend money on something that isnt really worthall that
    >>> extra

    >>> when possibly there is something similar out there.Thanx-- Rebecca1984

    >> Other than having many more features, some of which you may never use, the
    >> big advantage to the mark II is weather-proofing and ability to get great
    >> looking prints up to size A2 (possibly larger).
    >>
    >> If you don't need the weather-proofing and won't need prints that big,
    >> save
    >> your money.
    >>
    >> If you DO want big prints, no other DSLR will compare.
    >>

    > I was sort of wondering which mkII she was referring to. Her reference to
    > "nearly 3 times the price" led me to think she was talking about the 1D
    > mkII, which is 8mp, as is the 20D. The 1Ds mkII is about 5 times the price
    > of the 20D...

    Good point. My post refers only to the 1Ds Mark II.
    Paul Revere, Apr 6, 2005
  6. Rebecca1984

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >hi I have a canon 20d and was wondering
    >if mkII owners think it's worth nearly 3 times the price to move up?

    No, unless you really need the extra features.

    Bill
    (owner of two 1D Mark II's)
    Bill Hilton, Apr 6, 2005
  7. Rebecca1984

    nick c Guest

    Rebecca1984 <> wrote in

    > hi I have a canon 20d and was wondering
    > if mkII owners think it's worth nearly 3 times the price to move up? I
    > really do not want to spend money on something that isnt really worth
    > all that extra when possibly there is something similar out there.
    > Thanx

    I have both cameras. I bought the 1D Mkll before I bought the 20D. Having
    both and using both, if I had it to do over again, I would still buy the Mkll
    (1.3x)and then buy the 20D (1.6x). The camera I use most of the time is the
    Mkll because there are features that the MkII has that I'm interested in
    having, but I woun't fault the 20D as to comparison picture taking quality.

    If you feel the expenditure would be too much or the Mkll's features aren't
    what you would think you need or want (want often times overcomes need), then
    the 20D is probably the best camera for the price that's on the market. It's
    my opinion that regardless of future digital camera improvenments that will
    undoubtedly appear as model changes occur, the 20D coupled with presently
    made models of the 1D camera will be keepers because they more than adequetly
    and satisfatorily do what they are designed to do.
    nick c, Apr 8, 2005