    Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. Potential suitors. Olympus
    camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
    the past five years.

    RichA, Oct 21, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. Potential suitors. Olympus
    >camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
    >the past five years.

    Which page? Link please!

    It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of its
    value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
    predators.

    Canon could buy Olympus Camera, discontinue the expensive development
    of its own mirrorless system and instead develop (at far lower cost)
    some good new sensors for Olympus - allowing it to compete with
    Panasonic without the straitjacket of a maximum 12.3 MP.

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2011

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 21, 2:21 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 10/21/11 1:02 PM, in article
    > , "RichA"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Read about 3/4 of the way down the page.  Potential suitors.  Olympus
    > > camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
    > > the past five years.

    > Forgot something, maybe?

    Damn! It was on Bloomberg business news but I can't find the exact
    link. Like all news sites, their search mechanism is pure garbage.

    This isn't it:

    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...er-requests-explanation-about-gyrus-deal.html

    RichA, Oct 21, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 21, 3:05 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >Read about 3/4 of the way down the page.  Potential suitors.  Olympus
    > >camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
    > >the past five years.

    > Which page?  Link please!
    >
    > It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of its
    > value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
    > predators.

    More, I think, of a drop. Canon wants their medical device business,
    Fuji, GE, Siemens. Olympus dominates the "body scope" field (60%+ of
    the market) and has for decades.

    http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=7733.T

    RichA, Oct 21, 2011
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 21, 2011
  6. RichA

    SMS Guest

    On 10/21/2011 12:05 PM, Bruce wrote:
    > RichA<> wrote:
    >
    >> Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. Potential suitors. Olympus
    >> camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
    >> the past five years.

    > Which page? Link please!
    >
    > It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of its
    > value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
    > predators.
    >
    > Canon could buy Olympus Camera, discontinue the expensive development
    > of its own mirrorless system and instead develop (at far lower cost)
    > some good new sensors for Olympus - allowing it to compete with
    > Panasonic without the straitjacket of a maximum 12.3 MP.

    <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-20/olympus-37-less-than-medical-unit-seen-luring-bidders-real-m-a.html>

    Why would Canon be interested? Olympus's camera sales have fallen by 50%
    in the past five years and Olympus has nothing Canon needs.

    SMS, Oct 21, 2011
  7. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:47:04 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >SMS <> wrote in

    >>> Which page? Link please!
    >>>
    >>> It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of
    >>> its value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
    >>> predators.
    >>>
    >>> Canon could buy Olympus Camera, discontinue the expensive development
    >>> of its own mirrorless system and instead develop (at far lower cost)
    >>> some good new sensors for Olympus - allowing it to compete with
    >>> Panasonic without the straitjacket of a maximum 12.3 MP.

    >> <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-20/olympus-37-less-than-medical-
    >> unit-seen-luring-bidders-real-m-a.html>
    >>
    >> Why would Canon be interested? Olympus's camera sales have fallen by
    >> 50% in the past five years and Olympus has nothing Canon needs.
    >>

    >Maybe they have an interest in the medical side?

    I guess it makes sense. If you can't buy just the part you want, buy
    the whole thing when the parts you don't want are dragging down the
    price.

    John A., Oct 22, 2011
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >SMS <> wrote in

    >>> Which page? Link please!
    >>>
    >>> It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of
    >>> its value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
    >>> predators.
    >>>
    >>> Canon could buy Olympus Camera, discontinue the expensive development
    >>> of its own mirrorless system and instead develop (at far lower cost)
    >>> some good new sensors for Olympus - allowing it to compete with
    >>> Panasonic without the straitjacket of a maximum 12.3 MP.

    >> <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-20/olympus-37-less-than-medical-
    >> unit-seen-luring-bidders-real-m-a.html>
    >>
    >> Why would Canon be interested? Olympus's camera sales have fallen by
    >> 50% in the past five years and Olympus has nothing Canon needs.
    >>

    >Maybe they have an interest in the medical side?

    Sure, that's the really attractive bit.

    I was merely commenting, in the context of photo newsgroups, what
    Canon could do with Olympus Camera.

    Bruce, Oct 22, 2011
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 21, 11:27 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:47:04 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    > >SMS <> wrote in

    > >> <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-20/olympus-37-less-than-medical-
    > >> unit-seen-luring-bidders-real-m-a.html>

    > >> Why would Canon be interested? Olympus's camera sales have fallen by
    > >> 50% in the past five years and Olympus has nothing Canon needs.

    > >Maybe they have an interest in the medical side?

    > I guess it makes sense. If you can't buy just the part you want, buy
    > the whole thing when the parts you don't want are dragging down the
    > price.

    It's far more common for companies to do this, to buy other companies
    today rather than develop technology and markets from within. They
    get Olympus, whatever camera technology they can gain before
    dissolving the Olympus camera brand and the lucrative medical side
    along with its pre-existing customers.

    RichA, Oct 22, 2011