    income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
    consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    Don Stauffer, May 26, 2006

  2. Don Stauffer

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <1iEdg.13$>,
    Don Stauffer <> wrote:

    > Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
    > income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    > English by native english speakers.

    Then why did you like the Nikon manual?

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, May 26, 2006

  3. Don Stauffer

    BD Guest

    >I'd suggest they hire editing consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    Then my suggestion to you would be to draft a document - include the
    portions of the manual that are worded poorly, include how you would
    word the same portions, outline why your way reads better, and offer
    your services as a proofer.

    My brother did that - not for a camera, but for some little device he
    bought in Japan, where the English in the document was truly abysmal -
    and once he showed them the 'right way' to word the documentation, they
    were all over it. They asked him what he'd charge to do their entire
    gamut of documents.

    In short - while I don't disagree with you at all in what you're saying
    - don't tell _us_; tell _them_. :)

    BD

    BD, May 26, 2006
  4. Don Stauffer

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <1iEdg.13$>,
    Don Stauffer <> wrote:

    > Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
    > Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
    > in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
    > sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
    >
    > This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
    > features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
    > consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
    >
    > Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
    > income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    > English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
    > consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    Posting a suggestion here does not good unless you also send your
    suggestion to Canon's CEO.

    Shawn Hirn, May 26, 2006
  5. Don Stauffer

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Don Stauffer <> writes:
    > Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly
    > 3000. Nice camera but the manual sure stinks!

    I just bought an A530 too. Its design isn't perfect, but I hadn't
    noticed its manual as being especially bad (might reflect the sorry
    state of what I'm used to). What did you have trouble with?

    Paul Rubin, May 26, 2006
  6. Don Stauffer

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Don Stauffer wrote:
    > Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
    > Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
    > in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
    > sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
    >
    > This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
    > features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
    > consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
    >
    > Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
    > income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    > English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
    > consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    I've found them to be adequate. No complaints over their English.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 30, 2006
  7. Don Stauffer

    Guest

    Don Stauffer wrote:
    > Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
    > Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
    > in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
    > sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
    >
    > This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
    > features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
    > consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
    >
    > Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
    > income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    > English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
    > consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    Well it doesn't seem to be true across the Canon board, because I found
    the manual for my EOS 30D to be written in very good English.
    Mark

    , May 30, 2006
  8. Don Stauffer

    gpsman Guest

    Don Stauffer wrote: <brevity snip>w to invoke them.

    > Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
    > income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    > English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
    > consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    Gee, this has been obvious (to me) about practically every Japanese
    product I've owned since... about 1965 (I was 10).

    The only answer that comes to mind (mine) is that they don't give a
    ****. Why should they? Foreigners have been dealing with it for at
    least 40 years, hasn't harmed sales figures yet. What are the chances
    this hasn't been mentioned before now?!

    Occam's Razor.
    -----

    - gpsman

    gpsman, May 30, 2006
  9. On 30 May 2006 13:52:58 -0700, wrote:

    >Don Stauffer wrote:
    >> Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
    >> Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
    >> in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
    >> sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
    >>
    >> This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
    >> features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
    >> consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
    >>
    >> Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
    >> income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    >> English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
    >> consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    >Well it doesn't seem to be true across the Canon board, because I found
    >the manual for my EOS 30D to be written in very good English.
    >Mark

    Same for the 5D...

    --

    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, May 31, 2006
  10. Don Stauffer

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 09:30:19 -0500, Don Stauffer
    <> wrote:

    >Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
    >Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
    >in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
    >sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
    >
    >This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
    >features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
    >consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
    >
    >Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
    >income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    >English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
    >consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    My 30D's manual is very readable (for what it is - a manual).
    My DRebel's was, too.
    But I have seen many that seem to have been translated from Japanese
    to English by a Laplander who understood neither.
    "Please to insert Tab B through Slot B, possibly with action."
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, May 31, 2006
  11. Don Stauffer

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Don Stauffer wrote:
    > Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
    > Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
    > in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
    > sure cannot produce a manual for their products.

    There may be problems about the intended audience for the camera.
    The tech writers often try to pitch the technical level of the manual
    to match the technical level of the expected customer. The A530 is
    part of Canon's entry level consumer line, whereas the D50 is in
    Nikon's mid-level, advanced amateur line. You might find a better
    manuals for the Canon SLRs.

    Tech writing is a very, very tough problem. It has been claimed that
    the average American has trouble programming his VCR, and it is a
    certainty that the average American has very little patience for camera
    tech manuals and just flat out won't read them.

    So the writers try to make their manuals as simple as possible -
    push this button to do this - never mind what it causes to happen
    inside the camera.

    It's a shame that happens. I wish the manufacturers distributed a
    simple printed manual and a separate serious technical manual,
    perhaps on a CD only or on the web only. Then they could serve
    both types of audience more effectively.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, May 31, 2006
  12. Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 May 2006 09:30:19 -0500, Don Stauffer
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
    >>Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
    >>in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
    >>sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
    >>

    > My 30D's manual is very readable (for what it is - a manual).
    > My DRebel's was, too.
    > But I have seen many that seem to have been translated from Japanese
    > to English by a Laplander who understood neither.
    > "Please to insert Tab B through Slot B, possibly with action."

    Scangear toolbox for my Canon scanner pops up a window that says
    "Now adjusting lamp. Please
    wait a moment with keeping
    document cover closed."

    So it's not just manuals. Though the ones we have for our A75, G5 and
    10D are fine - I seem to have lost the one for my FTQL 35mm camera
    though ;-)
    Phil

    Phil Kempster, May 31, 2006
  13. Don Stauffer

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message
    <>, gpsman
    <> wrote.

    [...]
    >> Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
    >> income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
    >> English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
    >> consultants who WERE native english speakers.

    >Gee, this has been obvious (to me) about practically every Japanese
    >product I've owned since... about 1965 (I was 10).

    [...]

    Me too, if the manuals were as clearly written as the advertisements we
    wouldn't be complaining.

    >Occam's Razor.

    I don't mind being shaved, but not with Occam's razor <g>.

    Regards,
    Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    Caversham, Reading, England

    Nick Hopton, May 31, 2006
  14. Don Stauffer

    Don Stauffer Guest

    wrote:

    > Well it doesn't seem to be true across the Canon board, because I found
    > the manual for my EOS 30D to be written in very good English.
    > Mark

    I suppose they could do a better job on more expensive cameras. But my
    wife's GL2 camcorder was expensive enough and it still is not a good
    manual. Lots more bulleted phrases like a powerpoint presentation vs
    full sentences, telling you what a function does rather than how to use
    it, etc.

    I found our Nikon manuals far better written.

    Don Stauffer, May 31, 2006
  15. Don Stauffer

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Alan Meyer wrote:

    > There may be problems about the intended audience for the camera.
    > The tech writers often try to pitch the technical level of the manual
    > to match the technical level of the expected customer. The A530 is
    > part of Canon's entry level consumer line, whereas the D50 is in
    > Nikon's mid-level, advanced amateur line. You might find a better
    > manuals for the Canon SLRs.
    >
    > Tech writing is a very, very tough problem. It has been claimed that
    > the average American has trouble programming his VCR, and it is a
    > certainty that the average American has very little patience for camera
    > tech manuals and just flat out won't read them.
    >
    > So the writers try to make their manuals as simple as possible -
    > push this button to do this - never mind what it causes to happen
    > inside the camera.
    >
    > It's a shame that happens. I wish the manufacturers distributed a
    > simple printed manual and a separate serious technical manual,
    > perhaps on a CD only or on the web only. Then they could serve
    > both types of audience more effectively.
    >
    > Alan

    When I was fresh out of school my first job was designing test equipment
    for in-house use at an aerospace firm. We had to draft a manual, then
    turn it over to a tech writer. I used to hate those guys, screwing up my
    great prose :)

    As a USER of electronic equipment, this attitude comes back to haunt me.
    NOW I understand what the tech writers were for! I can frequently now
    pick out a manual written primarily by engineer or programmer with
    little tech writer input. And yes, I think software manuals are even
    worse than hardware manuals these days.

    I guess I am suffering from the hubris of my youth! My old attitudes
    come back to haunt me :)

    Don Stauffer, May 31, 2006