    reverted to using a 12.1 MP sensor.

    I suspect that both manufacturers are using the same Sony sensor.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11091525canonsx40hs.asp

    Bruce, Sep 20, 2011

  2. Bruce

    John Turco Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > Canon has just announced the new SX40 HS superzoom with a 35X lens.
    > What is particularly interesting is that Canon, like Panasonic, has
    > reverted to using a 12.1 MP sensor.
    >
    > I suspect that both manufacturers are using the same Sony sensor.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11091525canonsx40hs.asp

    Kodak has already done this MP "reversion" (in 2010):

    Z981 (14.1 MP; 26x)

    Z990 (12.1 MP; 30x)

    [Note: Both use CMOS sensors.]

    I believe the same OEM supplies Canon, Kodak, Fuji, Pentax, et
    al., with these specific "super zoom" cameras. Their looks and
    specifications are far too similar, to think otherwise.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 27, 2011