Canon Launches M80 Media Storage Device

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wayne J. Cosshall, May 7, 2007.

  1. Wayne J. Cosshall, May 7, 2007

  2. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Mr.T Guest

    Mr.T, May 7, 2007

  3. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Pete D Guest

    "Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote in message
    news:463f36d1$0$30110$...

    > "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    >> Canon has announced a data storage device:
    >> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=973

    > $1100!
    > I think I'll stick to my Digimate :)
    >
    > MrT.

    Vosonic do one similar for about US$400 but with potentially much better
    format support.

    Pete D, May 8, 2007
  4. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Mr.T Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    > >> Canon has announced a data storage device:
    > >> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=973

    > > $1100!
    > > I think I'll stick to my Digimate :)

    > Vosonic do one similar for about US$400 but with potentially much better
    > format support.

    Yes, and the Digimate can be had for under $100 US, if you view photo's on
    the camera or laptop instead. :)
    My biggest worry is having the thing stolen and losing all the photo's not
    already copied elsewhere. Having a $1000+ unit would only increase my worry!

    But the biggest joke is that you can buy a Digimate AND a laptop computer
    for less than the Canon unit!
    That's my alternative, and I don't feel the need any thing else.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, May 8, 2007
  5. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Guest

    On May 8, 12:54 am, "Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:

    > But the biggest joke is that you can buy a Digimate AND a laptop computer
    > for less than the Canon unit!

    There aren't many laptops the size of the M80. But still the price is
    silly. Doubtless either the price will come down to Epson P5000
    levels quite quickly, or the whole idea shit-canned. The opportunity
    for Canon is that given price equivalence, and if the M80 can decode
    and display the raw files, many will feel the need to toss their Epson
    units. Unless Epson gets off their ass and releases a firmware update
    that decodes CR2 files...

    , May 8, 2007
  6. Wayne J. Cosshall

    David Guest

    > "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > $1100!
    >> > I think I'll stick to my Digimate :)

    >> Vosonic do one similar for about US$400 but with potentially much better
    >> format support.

    > Yes, and the Digimate can be had for under $100 US, if you view photo's on
    > the camera or laptop instead. :)
    > My biggest worry is having the thing stolen and losing all the photo's not
    > already copied elsewhere. Having a $1000+ unit would only increase my
    > worry!
    >
    > But the biggest joke is that you can buy a Digimate AND a laptop computer
    > for less than the Canon unit!
    > That's my alternative, and I don't feel the need any thing else.
    >
    > MrT.

    I'm a fellow digimate user. I love it.

    David, May 8, 2007
  7. That's the Australia price. US will be much cheaper and street price
    lower still.

    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
    http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
    Personal art site http://www.cosshall.com/

    Wayne J. Cosshall, May 8, 2007
  8. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Keith Baird Guest

    "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote:
    > That's the Australia price. US will be much cheaper and street price
    > lower still.

    Except, unless something has changed recently, Canon has said it won't
    market the M80 in the U.S.

    --/<eith

    Keith Baird, May 8, 2007
  9. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Mr.T Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On May 8, 12:54 am, "Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:
    > > But the biggest joke is that you can buy a Digimate AND a laptop

    computer
    > > for less than the Canon unit!

    > There aren't many laptops the size of the M80.

    And not many with a screen as small as the M80 thank god!
    You do realise the Digimate is smaller than the Canon M80?
    Best of both worlds IMO, and twice the number of backups each night.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, May 9, 2007
  10. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Mr.T Guest

    > Mr.T wrote:
    > > "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    > >> Canon has announced a data storage device:
    > >> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=973

    > > $1100!
    > > I think I'll stick to my Digimate :)

    > That's the Australia price. US will be much cheaper and street price
    > lower still.

    I *WAS* talking about Australian prices. Digimate costs less than $150AUD
    with 40GB. New laptops can be had for less than $800AUD with another 40GB or
    so. BOTH therefore for less than the Canon unit.

    Tell me why the hell I would want the Canon?

    MrT.

    Mr.T, May 9, 2007
  11. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Mark² Guest

    Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > That's the Australia price. US will be much cheaper and street price
    > lower still.

    My understanding was that it isn't scheduled for release in the US...
    If it now is...that's news.
    What WOULD be nice is if it TRULY handles RAW files, including full zoom
    inspection. My Epson P5000 comes close, but still doesn't support 100% for
    RAW.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², May 10, 2007