    symptom.

    Thank you for any opinions,

    Mike
    mike, May 31, 2004

  2. "mike" <> wrote in message
    news:%WFuc.17745$...
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I purchased a few days ago a Canon Ixus 500 (Powershot 500). It makes a
    > strange noise, during the interval between pressing the shutter button and
    > the moment when the picture is taken. The AF lamp is ON during that

    interval
    > and I suppose the noise is related to camera adjusting the focus, etc.
    > However, the noise is strange, more like a chatter than like the 'clean'
    > sound of a micro-motor. Is that normal, perhaps those with Ixus 500
    > experience can tell? I did not hear a similar sound in few other types of
    > cameras I have tried.
    >
    > This is my first digital camera and I am a bit disappointed with the

    shutter
    > delay. Taking a picture of a child is often a miss, and I wonder if the
    > shutter delay is longer than it should be and the noise described above is

    > symptom.

    That chattering noise is normal, I hear it on my S400. It's part of all the
    stuff the camera has to do to focus, set aperture and fire.

    The shutter delay is a problem with consumer-level point-and-shoot cameras.
    Some are worse than others, but it is a byproduct of the method these
    consumer cameras use to capture the image. The only way to eliminate it is
    to get a digital SLR such as the Nikon D70.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, May 31, 2004

  3. "mike" <> writes:

    >I purchased a few days ago a Canon Ixus 500 (Powershot 500). It makes a
    >strange noise, during the interval between pressing the shutter button and
    >the moment when the picture is taken. The AF lamp is ON during that interval
    >and I suppose the noise is related to camera adjusting the focus, etc.
    >However, the noise is strange, more like a chatter than like the 'clean'
    >sound of a micro-motor. Is that normal, perhaps those with Ixus 500
    >experience can tell? I did not hear a similar sound in few other types of
    >cameras I have tried.

    The noise is normal. The camera captures many separate images in the
    process of autofocusing, and I suspect the sound is the focus motor
    starting and stopping many times between focus positions. If you set
    the "quick shot" menu feature on, the chattering will be higher pitched
    and take less total time, since the LCD display is not being updated
    during the focus process.

    The Canon A200 made this sort of noise during focusing too.

    >This is my first digital camera and I am a bit disappointed with the shutter
    >delay. Taking a picture of a child is often a miss, and I wonder if the
    >shutter delay is longer than it should be and the noise described above is a
    >symptom.

    Are you talking about focus delay (from half-pressing the shutter button
    to green rectangle in the finder) or shutter release delay (time to
    release the shutter after getting correct focus)? Focus delay can be
    sped up by the quick shot mode. Shutter delay actually seems pretty
    fast to me for a P&S camera.

    To take pictures of children, you'll need to preset focus and exposure.
    You can just hold your shutter finger half-pressed and wait for the
    right moment, or you can use the camera's autofocus lock and
    autoexposure lock modes.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jun 1, 2004
  4. mike

    mike Guest

    "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message
    > "mike" <> writes:
    >
    > >I purchased a few days ago a Canon Ixus 500 (Powershot 500). It makes a
    > >strange noise, during the interval between pressing the shutter button

    and
    > >the moment when the picture is taken. The AF lamp is ON during that

    interval
    > >and I suppose the noise is related to camera adjusting the focus, etc.
    > >However, the noise is strange, more like a chatter than like the 'clean'
    > >sound of a micro-motor. Is that normal, perhaps those with Ixus 500
    > >experience can tell? I did not hear a similar sound in few other types of
    > >cameras I have tried.

    > The noise is normal. The camera captures many separate images in the
    > process of autofocusing, and I suspect the sound is the focus motor
    > starting and stopping many times between focus positions. If you set
    > the "quick shot" menu feature on, the chattering will be higher pitched
    > and take less total time, since the LCD display is not being updated
    > during the focus process.
    >
    > The Canon A200 made this sort of noise during focusing too.
    >
    > >This is my first digital camera and I am a bit disappointed with the

    shutter
    > >delay. Taking a picture of a child is often a miss, and I wonder if the
    > >shutter delay is longer than it should be and the noise described above

    is a
    > >symptom.

    > Are you talking about focus delay (from half-pressing the shutter button
    > to green rectangle in the finder) or shutter release delay (time to
    > release the shutter after getting correct focus)? Focus delay can be
    > sped up by the quick shot mode. Shutter delay actually seems pretty
    > fast to me for a P&S camera.
    >
    > To take pictures of children, you'll need to preset focus and exposure.
    > You can just hold your shutter finger half-pressed and wait for the
    > right moment, or you can use the camera's autofocus lock and
    > autoexposure lock modes.
    >
    > Dave

    I was talking about focus delay. Indeed, it is not that bad in the quick
    fast mode. One more question: is it the same kind of noise in Canon
    Powershot S50, and similar focus delay? I assume Powershot S50 and Ixus 500
    are based on same electronics platform, but perhaps mechanics is better?

    Thanks,

    mike, Jun 3, 2004
  5. "mike" <> writes:

    >I was talking about focus delay. Indeed, it is not that bad in the quick
    >fast mode. One more question: is it the same kind of noise in Canon
    >Powershot S50, and similar focus delay? I assume Powershot S50 and Ixus 500
    >are based on same electronics platform, but perhaps mechanics is better?

    I've never used a S50 or its predecessors, but Canon cameras do
    differ. The G2 and A80 seem to run the focus motor continuously
    instead of starting and stopping, so they quietly "whir" rather than
    making the stuttering sound.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jun 3, 2004