    some other reviews.
    Thanks
    JP

    JP, Nov 28, 2003

  2. JP

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi JP,

    I have used the DX6340, in fact I am out this afternoon to buy one for a
    friend. I like the camera and for what it can do it is perfect. Actually,
    I had recommended the DX6440 as it has a few extra features that I think are
    worth it. But, the 6340 does a terrific job. I studied the camera as I
    keep one on hand at my desk, along with a few others, but find the 6340 the
    one I go back to often.

    If you decide to get one, let me know and I will be glad to share about it
    with you.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "JP" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, i'm sure this has been asked many times before, but i'm looking into

    the
    > digital camera world, and would appreciate some advice. I was looking at

    the

    Ron Baird, Dec 4, 2003

  3. My advise, don't buy Kodak!!!

    Let me explain why. All digital cameras connect to the PC's USB port
    and are instantly recognised as a drive. Not so with Kodak. For Kodak,
    you have to install Kodak's drivers for the PC to recognise it. That
    means you need to carry the Kodak CD everywhere.

    This is not the end of it. The software supplied by Kodak did not work
    for Windows 2000 SP4. Instead, they suggested that I roll-back to SP3
    or download the 18MB upgraded software from their site.

    The upgraded software is only web-installable. That means you cannot
    download it and cut a CD. Instead the PC on which you are installing
    the software must be connected to the internet. And its 18Mbytes!!!

    I asked Kodak for a downloadable installer and they asked me to buy
    the new software from them!!

    All in all, its a horrible experience for me.

    As for Olympus C-750, its a great camera. I especially liked its
    low-light photographs. Its really good for its price. I would advise
    you to buy the Olympus C-750 or Canon G3.

    HTH,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 6, 2003
  4. JP

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Siddhartha,

    I have reviewed your experience, Siddhartha, and can appreciate your
    disappointment. But, I think you are confusing some of the options that are
    avalable to you. Since I do not have your information, cannot find you in
    our logs, I am glad to review what was offered to you. Since you reported
    an issue with your particular system, Siddhartha, the information or answer
    to your dilemma migh have worked. Not sure how you have your system
    configured, if you are at work and on a network, if you have firewall
    features in place, or may administrative issues or other I am not sure what
    we could do. The one thing I can assure you about is that we do want to
    help.

    Although I am in the US, I am glad to help you via our teams in the UK. Let
    me ask if you received any error codes during your installation of the
    software? If so what was the error reported. Kodak uses a 3 tier error
    code in EasyShare software to better diagnose the problem the user has
    experienced. It provides faster responses to issues like yours and allows
    Kodak software support to better assist with problems. The software is
    actually excellent and readily available via the Kodak website and will auto
    install for you. Relatively simple process. We also include the Kodak
    Updater that will update your system automatically behind the scene. So,
    there will be no need to dial into Kodak every time there is an upgrade.
    Rather, we deliver it to you when the transmission is complete.

    Even if you are on a dial up modem, it should not be too time consuming to
    download if you have a good connection and monitor the progress. Since this
    is not to your liking, I can help further if you want to supply me your
    personal information off line. I am quite confident I could have gotten
    EasyShare to run on your system.

    By the way, Kodak cameras use an industry standard transport protocol known
    as Picture transfer Protocol (PTP). To abstract the camera into the system
    as a hard drive, we use the Microsoft Installable File System (IFS) that
    allows us to present the camera as a drive. Note: The PTP is used by many
    camera manufactures. It gives the option to set the camera date and time
    every time it connects, which helps organize pictures by date. In addition,
    we can communicate with the camera to write data back to the camera itself,
    an advanced option for features to come.

    Also Note: The USB MASS Storage Device Classes (USB MSDC) transport protocol
    is also used in the industry, (not by Kodak) which makes the camera
    behave as a card reader. This protocol does not enable the communication
    flexibility needed by Kodak cameras.

    Talk to you soon, Siddhartha, glad to help you with questions you might have
    about Kodak in the future.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Thankfully, someone in Kodak tech support realised that there was a
    real problem. They are shipping me a CD of the Easyshare 3.2 software.

    You buy two products, A & B. While A works fine from day one, B gives
    you trouble. As a customer, would you ever recommend B to anyone? I
    think not.

    Maybe Kodak did a survey and found out that majority of its customers
    like no-brainer web-installs and other such no-brainer features and
    maybe it does not matter to Kodak that there are some customers out
    there who get turned off by a dumbed down camera. But all I care for
    is what works for me. And thats all I should care about, right?

    I know where my files live, I just copy the files from the SD/xD card
    to the PC and then process them using Irfanview/Registax/other third
    party software. I have no need for any extra features that are forced
    on me (like PTP).

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 9, 2003
  6. JP

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > Thankfully, someone in Kodak tech support realised that there was a
    > real problem. They are shipping me a CD of the Easyshare 3.2 software.
    >
    > You buy two products, A & B. While A works fine from day one, B gives
    > you trouble. As a customer, would you ever recommend B to anyone? I
    > think not.

    You sound like the girl who tried sex once and didn't like it.

    > Maybe Kodak did a survey and found out that majority of its customers
    > like no-brainer web-installs and other such no-brainer features and
    > maybe it does not matter to Kodak that there are some customers out
    > there who get turned off by a dumbed down camera. But all I care for
    > is what works for me. And thats all I should care about, right?

    No, you should always care about others. People like you are why we
    call this the 'ME' generation. A company must cater to the masses if
    they intend to sell products to them. If you don't fall into the
    mythical 'average' then you will find that things often don't exactly
    'fit', just like not being 5' 11" and having a 36" waist makes the
    choice of clothes smaller.

    > I know where my files live, I just copy the files from the SD/xD card
    > to the PC and then process them using Irfanview/Registax/other third
    > party software. I have no need for any extra features that are forced
    > on me (like PTP).

    I don't believe it is being forced on you. I don't use it. A card
    reader is much more useful for my purposes. I would rather have the
    card reader in my pocket than a cable anyway.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Ron Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > > Thankfully, someone in Kodak tech support realised that there was a
    > > real problem. They are shipping me a CD of the Easyshare 3.2 software.
    > >
    > > You buy two products, A & B. While A works fine from day one, B gives
    > > you trouble. As a customer, would you ever recommend B to anyone? I
    > > think not.

    > You sound like the girl who tried sex once and didn't like it.

    Some analogy!!! :)

    And why exactly would you plonk down your money on a product that you
    are not satisfied with, AGAIN??

    > > Maybe Kodak did a survey and found out that majority of its customers
    > > like no-brainer web-installs and other such no-brainer features and
    > > maybe it does not matter to Kodak that there are some customers out
    > > there who get turned off by a dumbed down camera. But all I care for
    > > is what works for me. And thats all I should care about, right?

    > No, you should always care about others. People like you are why we
    > call this the 'ME' generation. A company must cater to the masses if
    > they intend to sell products to them. If you don't fall into the
    > mythical 'average' then you will find that things often don't exactly
    > 'fit', just like not being 5' 11" and having a 36" waist makes the
    > choice of clothes smaller.

    Oh!! So you mean fit into the average because the company wants you
    to? And I thought it was varied customer demand that fuelled diversity
    of products out there?

    Sorry, I refuse to be a zombie customer. If I pay my hard-earned money
    for something, it better be good or else I am going to complain about
    it all I can.

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 9, 2003
  8. JP

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > Ron Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thankfully, someone in Kodak tech support realised that there was a
    >>>real problem. They are shipping me a CD of the Easyshare 3.2 software.
    >>>
    >>>You buy two products, A & B. While A works fine from day one, B gives
    >>>you trouble. As a customer, would you ever recommend B to anyone? I
    >>>think not.

    >>You sound like the girl who tried sex once and didn't like it.

    > Some analogy!!! :)
    >
    > And why exactly would you plonk down your money on a product that you
    > are not satisfied with, AGAIN??

    No, neither would I condemn a whole company and everyone associated with
    it over a single bad experience.

    >>>Maybe Kodak did a survey and found out that majority of its customers
    >>>like no-brainer web-installs and other such no-brainer features and
    >>>maybe it does not matter to Kodak that there are some customers out
    >>>there who get turned off by a dumbed down camera. But all I care for
    >>>is what works for me. And thats all I should care about, right?

    >>No, you should always care about others. People like you are why we
    >>call this the 'ME' generation. A company must cater to the masses if
    >>they intend to sell products to them. If you don't fall into the
    >>mythical 'average' then you will find that things often don't exactly
    >>'fit', just like not being 5' 11" and having a 36" waist makes the
    >>choice of clothes smaller.

    > Oh!! So you mean fit into the average because the company wants you
    > to? And I thought it was varied customer demand that fuelled diversity
    > of products out there?
    >
    > Sorry, I refuse to be a zombie customer. If I pay my hard-earned money
    > for something, it better be good or else I am going to complain about
    > it all I can.

    Fine, send a letter to customer service, and to the CEO, detail your
    displeasure, then go buy something else, and enjoy it. But why paint
    everyone with such a wide brush?

    There a many companies I wouldn't do business with, or do business with
    again, but I don't feel compelled to insert a discussion of my
    unfortunate experiences with them, or to color all of theie employees
    with the same shade of blue.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 10, 2003
  9. Hmmm ... Is it ??

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 10, 2003
  10. JP

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > Hmmm ... Is it ??
    >
    > Ron Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    >>>Some analogy!!! :)
    >>>
    >>>And why exactly would you plonk down your money on a product that you
    >>>are not satisfied with, AGAIN??
    >>>

    >>No, neither would I condemn a whole company and everyone associated with
    >>it over a single bad experience.

    >>>Oh!! So you mean fit into the average because the company wants you
    >>>to? And I thought it was varied customer demand that fuelled diversity
    >>>of products out there?
    >>>
    >>>Sorry, I refuse to be a zombie customer. If I pay my hard-earned money
    >>>for something, it better be good or else I am going to complain about
    >>>it all I can.

    >>Fine, send a letter to customer service, and to the CEO, detail your
    >>displeasure, then go buy something else, and enjoy it. But why paint
    >>everyone with such a wide brush?
    >>
    >>There a many companies I wouldn't do business with, or do business with
    >>again, but I don't feel compelled to insert a discussion of my
    >>unfortunate experiences with them, or to color all of theie employees
    >>with the same shade of blue.

    I am not, nor have I ever been employed by Kodak. I HAVE, however, used
    Kodak cameras for over 50 years and been generally quite happy with
    their products.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 10, 2003
  11. JP

    steve wiser Guest

    I got a new DX6340 today for Christmas and it does not work with my
    Win2K SP4.

    What can I do. I downloaded the 18 meg file and loaded it after the
    CD Software failed to install with an error "12-17-1603" telling me
    nothing. Kodak software site tells me that their information system
    is updating and to come back in 15 minutes but for four hours I still
    get the 15 minute update notice.

    Things observed. Explorer sees the camera as a disk drive but fails
    in reading it giving me a "do I want to format the drive" error.
    Should I let Win2K format the camera? If so do I lose the abilty to
    actually use the camera as it is? I am afraid I am going to have to
    return it and get some other makers unit.

    The new Kodak 3.2 software does not see the device that the computer
    sees, therefore I am not able to get any downloads.

    Why do people (KODAK) insist on doing things off standard? This just
    makes things so messy and almost impossible to fix. I do not
    appreciate the noted flexibility in being totally stopped from using
    my new camera.

    Sounds like Kodak is taking a lesson out of Gateway Computers new
    commercial software program in failing customers.

    Some Christmas present Kodak!!!!!

    Steve

    steve wiser, Dec 25, 2003
  12. JP

    Ron Hunter Guest

    steve wiser wrote:

> [...]
    >>>you have to install Kodak's drivers for the PC to recognise it. That
    >>>means you need to carry the Kodak CD everywhere.
    >>>
    >>>This is not the end of it. The software supplied by Kodak did not work
    >>>for Windows 2000 SP4. Instead, they suggested that I roll-back to SP3
    >>>or download the 18MB upgraded software from their site.
    >>>
    >>>The upgraded software is only web-installable. That means you cannot
    >>>download it and cut a CD. Instead the PC on which you are installing
    >>>the software must be connected to the internet. And its 18Mbytes!!!
    >>>
    >>>I asked Kodak for a downloadable installer and they asked me to buy
    >>>the new software from them!!
    >>>
    >>>All in all, its a horrible experience for me.
    >>>
    >>>As for Olympus C-750, its a great camera. I especially liked its
    >>>low-light photographs. Its really good for its price. I would advise
    >>>you to buy the Olympus C-750 or Canon G3.

    Actually, the new standard is PTP, and most of the new cameras are
    adopting it. The best solution to your problem all things considered is
    to buy a card reader. These are cheap, usually faster than the camera,
    and will work just find with Win2k.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 25, 2003
  13. JP

    JSN61 Guest

    try this disconnect the camera uninstall all the software e install all the
    kodak software and then reconnect the camera .
    I use 2000 me and its kinda picky what and how i install programs this worked
    for me good luck
    Jerry
    remove no spam to e mail

    JSN61, Dec 25, 2003