    actually say I want a shutter speed of 12 seconds or 1/2000th of second etc?

    Thanks

    Martin

    Martin Palmer, Nov 20, 2003

  2. "Martin Palmer" <> wrote in message
    news:bpich4$g7n$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm seriously considering getting this camera as it looks to be a great

    all
    > rounder, but i'm interested in experimenting with shutter speeds and
    > wondered how much control you can have.
    > I know the camera can have shutters speeds up to 15 seconds, but can you
    > actually say I want a shutter speed of 12 seconds or 1/2000th of second

    etc?

    No manual control at all on the S400. The only influence you have over
    exposure is changing the ISO.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Martin Palmer

    Chris Davies Guest

    On 20 Nov 2003 06:41:12 -0600, "Howard McCollister"
    <> wrote:

    >"Martin Palmer" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm seriously considering getting this camera as it looks to be a great

    >all
    >> rounder, but i'm interested in experimenting with shutter speeds and
    >> wondered how much control you can have.
    >> I know the camera can have shutters speeds up to 15 seconds, but can you
    >> actually say I want a shutter speed of 12 seconds or 1/2000th of second

    >etc?
    >>

    >No manual control at all on the S400. The only influence you have over
    >exposure is changing the ISO.
    >
    >HMc

    I bought one of these camera recently and you can set shutter speeds
    from between 15 and 1 second at 1 second increments (fractions between
    1 and 2 seconds I think). This is done in 'long shutter mode'. There
    is no manual control over shutter speed other than this.

    BTW - Very happy with the camera.

    CD

    Chris Davies, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Martin Palmer

    Pete Guest

    In article <3fbcb5c4$0$27683$>,
    Howard McCollister <> wrote:

    >"Martin Palmer" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm seriously considering getting this camera as it looks to be a great

    >all
    >> rounder, but i'm interested in experimenting with shutter speeds and
    >> wondered how much control you can have.
    >> I know the camera can have shutters speeds up to 15 seconds, but can you
    >> actually say I want a shutter speed of 12 seconds or 1/2000th of second

    >etc?
    >>

    >No manual control at all on the S400. The only influence you have over
    >exposure is changing the ISO.

    I thought the S400 was the same camera as the Ixus 400 - just different
    names in different markets.
    Anyway on the Ixus 400 you can use the "long shutter" mode to set the
    exposure from 1 second upto 15 (I think) secs.
    There is no control below 1 second though.

    Pete

    Pete, Nov 20, 2003
  5. "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3fbcb5c4$0$27683$>,
    > Howard McCollister <> wrote:
    > >
    > >"Martin Palmer" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I'm seriously considering getting this camera as it looks to be a great

    > >all
    > >> rounder, but i'm interested in experimenting with shutter speeds and
    > >> wondered how much control you can have.
    > >> I know the camera can have shutters speeds up to 15 seconds, but can

    you
    > >> actually say I want a shutter speed of 12 seconds or 1/2000th of second

    > >etc?
    > >>

    > >No manual control at all on the S400. The only influence you have over
    > >exposure is changing the ISO.
    > >

    > I thought the S400 was the same camera as the Ixus 400 - just different
    > names in different markets.
    > Anyway on the Ixus 400 you can use the "long shutter" mode to set the
    > exposure from 1 second upto 15 (I think) secs.
    > There is no control below 1 second though.

    I beg your pardon. I wasn't thinking of long shutter mode, but
    shutter-priority mode, which it doesn't have. The above two posts are
    correct for the S400/IXUS400. I apologize for the poor answer.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Nov 20, 2003
  6. er? are you sure? all the reviews i've read say that you can have up to 15
    second shutter speeds?

    Martin Palmer, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Martin Palmer

    DHB Guest

    Martin,
    to answer part of your question "I know the camera can have
    shutters speeds up to 15 seconds, but can you actually say I want a shutter
    speed of 12 seconds or 1/2000th of second etc?"

    YES to the long exposure part of your question. I don't own this camera
    but I do own both a Canon A40 & A70 & S330 which all allow for up to 15 sec.
    long shutter speeds & I often use them to take existing light pictures with
    the ISO speed set to 50 which produces very low noise pictures in part due
    to the camera's built-in auto noise reduction that kicks in for 1.3 sec.
    exposures or longer.

    Obviously these long exposures only work well on stationary subjects
    unless your looking for a blurred special effect. Also these long exposures
    require a tripod or some stable place to rest the camera during exposure.
    For much of these long exposures I often just set the 2 sec. self timer to
    avoid moving the camera at the beginning of the exposure & rest it on
    anything available at the time. This can be the rim of a glass or a table
    or counter. It's a great way to take an indoor picture of a restaurant to
    capture it's ambiance.

    This also does not distract others because since you also turn the flash
    off & lastly it really registers a recognizable picture of anybody there
    unless they remain almost motionless for almost the entire exposure. Thus
    it does not even violate the privacy of somebody who might be in your
    picture.

    Most people don't use this feature but thankfully Canon has included it
    in most of their cameras for those who would like to use it. If your on
    vacation you can capture great night pictures of the city, countryside,
    sunsets & sunrises that can't be captured the same way at higher shutter
    speeds.

    Just my long winded 2 cent in response to your question.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Martin Palmer

    jean Guest