    photos. I am assuming this is possible in such a sophisticated (and
    expensive) camera but I cannot see anywhere on the manual how to
    achieve that. Some help please

    zalwa walez, Jan 31, 2004

  2. (zalwa walez) writes:
    >I've lately bought a Canon Ixus 400 camera.
    >I am wondering how to get the Date automatically printed on the
    >photos. I am assuming this is possible in such a sophisticated (and
    >expensive) camera but I cannot see anywhere on the manual how to
    >achieve that. Some help please

    The camera itself does not do that. It would be silly for it to do it.
    The date and time is encoded into the image file header where you can
    refer to it at any time without it damaging the image in any way.

    If you want prints with the date on them, the best way is to print the
    images and write the date on the back yourself. Or, if you want the
    print on the front, find some suitable software that adds the date to
    the image before printing. That's the time and place to add the date,
    not in the camera.

    Film cameras print the date in the image area because they don't really
    have any other choice.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 31, 2004

  3. << I am wondering how to get the Date automatically printed on the
    photos >>

    Savvv-

    DaveM is a purist who can't conceive of a photograph being used for anything
    but a work of art! I for one, would like an option for the date to be
    permanently imprinted . (Naturally I wouldn't want it dead center!)

    It is possible that the Canon uses the DPOS (Digital Print Order Service)
    approach to printing the date on the photo. If so, you may find a DPOS menu
    option on the camera, that lets you set up various parameters such as print
    size, how many prints and whether or not the date should be imprinted on a
    particular image.

    The trouble is that you must then find a place with DPOS equipment that can
    follow your directions automatically. They may be available, but I haven't
    found one.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Jan 31, 2004
  4. zalwa walez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:

    > (zalwa walez) writes:
    >
    >>I've lately bought a Canon Ixus 400 camera.
    >>I am wondering how to get the Date automatically printed on the
    >>photos. I am assuming this is possible in such a sophisticated (and
    >>expensive) camera but I cannot see anywhere on the manual how to
    >>achieve that. Some help please

    > The camera itself does not do that. It would be silly for it to do it.
    > The date and time is encoded into the image file header where you can
    > refer to it at any time without it damaging the image in any way.
    >
    > If you want prints with the date on them, the best way is to print the
    > images and write the date on the back yourself. Or, if you want the
    > print on the front, find some suitable software that adds the date to
    > the image before printing. That's the time and place to add the date,
    > not in the camera.
    >
    > Film cameras print the date in the image area because they don't really
    > have any other choice.
    >
    > Dave

    Many digital cameras are also guilty of this obnoxious feature,
    unfortunately.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 1, 2004
  5. zalwa walez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Fred McKenzie wrote:

    > << I am wondering how to get the Date automatically printed on the
    > photos >>
    >
    > Savvv-
    >
    > DaveM is a purist who can't conceive of a photograph being used for anything
    > but a work of art! I for one, would like an option for the date to be
    > permanently imprinted . (Naturally I wouldn't want it dead center!)
    >
    > It is possible that the Canon uses the DPOS (Digital Print Order Service)
    > approach to printing the date on the photo. If so, you may find a DPOS menu
    > option on the camera, that lets you set up various parameters such as print
    > size, how many prints and whether or not the date should be imprinted on a
    > particular image.
    >
    > The trouble is that you must then find a place with DPOS equipment that can
    > follow your directions automatically. They may be available, but I haven't
    > found one.
    >
    > Fred

    I would agree that having a date printed on a photograph is a handy
    thing, but the place for it is ON THE BACK.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 1, 2004
  6. << I would agree that having a date printed on a photograph is a handy
    thing, but the place for it is ON THE BACK. >>

    Ron-

    Clearly there is a difference of opinion. Obviously having an imprint option
    that could be turned on if needed, would satisfy everyone.

    Are you thinking of a camera like a Poloroid, where the date is imprinted on
    the reverse side at the moment of exposure? Even that would not be as good as
    imprinting on the front for whatever documentation purpose one might have.

    For example, a photograph submitted as evidence would be much more believable
    if automatic imprinting had been done on the front. Adding it later promotes a
    greater suspicion that it could be in error, either accidentally or
    deliberately. How could you prove the date on the back wasn't added later?

    Typical family photos are seldom an art collection, and having dates on the
    front is much more convenient than having to remove a photograph from an album
    to read what is on the back. Some people just store their photos in a box and
    forget to write the date on the back.

    There are cameras that offer an imprint feature, such as Kodak. However, other
    cameras I like better, only offer the DPOS system. Why can't both options be
    offered? It is a software feature that would not add anything to production
    costs. If you didn't want such an feature, you wouldn't turn it on.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Feb 1, 2004