    stabiliser lenses worth having .
    Thanks
    Rob.
    Your-nice, Jul 27, 2004

  2. "Your-nice" <> wrote in message
    news:gTxNc.527$%...
    > Im thinking of getting either the 100 to 400 zoom or the 300 tele plus
    > converter, its for photographing aircraft , would the 300 and converter
    > focus faster than the zoom it will be on a 300D ,and are the image
    > stabiliser lenses worth having .
    > Thanks
    > Rob.

    Sorry I don't have both combos. I have the 100-400 and I can tell you the
    IS is not going to help you for moving aircraft unless they happen to be at
    eye level and your panning (mode 2 IS). On the 300D the focus is fairly slow
    with the 100-400, compared to the same with a 70-200 f/4. when I put the 1.4
    TC on the 70-200 it's slower but not as slow as the 100-400. I would hope
    the 300 f/4 would be faster, and since it's lighter, you can point it to the
    sky longer without hurting yourself. I've got all big expensive glass now
    and a 1D but I think they best match for the Rebel would be the 70-200 f/4
    and the 300f/4 with 1.4 TC, and you can get all that for nearly the price of
    a 100-400 and not break your back, too.
    this old user, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Your-nice

    Skip M Guest

    "Your-nice" <> wrote in message
    > Im thinking of getting either the 100 to 400 zoom or the 300 tele plus
    > converter, its for photographing aircraft , would the 300 and converter
    > focus faster than the zoom it will be on a 300D ,and are the image
    > stabiliser lenses worth having .
    > Thanks
    > Rob.

    Which 300 IS? The f4 or f2.8? AFAIK, the 300D won't autofocus with a lens
    aperture slower than f5.6, so you're limited to the 1.4x for a converter
    which of course gives you 420mm.
    The 100-400 is pretty slow to focus on my D30, even with the distance
    limiter engaged (limits focus to 6.3m to infinity rather than 1.something
    meters out), so I would imagine it's pretty slow on the 300D, too.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Your-nice

    Your-nice Guest

    300 f4 I think I will go for that and the 1.4x converter with the 1.6x
    sensor on the 300d it will be over 650mm and that's fine .
    thanks for help
    Rob

    Your-nice, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Your-nice

    Your-nice Guest

    I will go with what you recommend as it will cover my needs thanks for you
    help with this
    Rob.

    Your-nice, Jul 27, 2004