    I am contemplating the purchase of a Canon zoom with IS. Since stabilization
    is achieved with moving parts, are there any durability concerns? How about
    power use, any noticable battery drain with a 10D?
    Mr. Nobody, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Mr. Nobody

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Mr. Nobody wrote:

    > Howdy,
    > I am contemplating the purchase of a Canon zoom with IS. Since stabilization
    > is achieved with moving parts, are there any durability concerns? How about
    > power use, any noticable battery drain with a 10D?

    IS *is* one more thing to fix... It's a concern. But repairing IS lenses
    certainly isn't a common complaint. I haven't heard many instances of
    this on the groups... My only IS lens is the Canon 100-400L.

    The IS in this lens does wear out batteries noticeably faster.. No doubt
    there..

    I can't say exactly how many frames because I don't keep track. It might
    result in around 50 less shots... But that's using the lens full time..
    If you only plug the lens on now and then, the draw is less..

    Other IS lenses might produce different results..
    Jim Townsend, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Mr. Nobody

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi!

    > I am contemplating the purchase of a Canon zoom with IS.

    Good idea.

    > Since stabilization
    > is achieved with moving parts, are there any durability concerns?

    A little bit. I have a 28-135 IS (bought it when I was Film-Only) and
    that died twice on me. One for "rough treatment" and once "on its own".
    In each case was the IS affected. The good news: A defective IS can be
    fixed arround $100 for the amateur line (the 28-135). I do not know
    about the "professional" L Series IS.

    > How about power use, any noticable battery drain with a 10D?

    Even on film bodies with way smaller battery capacity, this was no real
    concern.

    Greetings,
    B.
    Boris Harss, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Mr. Nobody

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Only one lens (75-300) and a year + experience - no troubles. Can't say what
    the overall durability is but there haven't been many reports of problems.
    No idea on battery life. My wife uses ONLY the IS lens and has since the day
    she got both the camera and the lens. I don't use it enough to notice the
    battery drain on my camera.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 25, 2004
  5. Mr. Nobody

    Jim Davis Guest

    Re: Re: Canon IS Durability

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:53:42 +0100, Boris Harss
    <> wrote/replied to:

    >> How about power use, any noticable battery drain with a 10D?

    >Even on film bodies with way smaller battery capacity, this was no real
    >concern.

    I use the 10D with a 100-400L IS and I sure don't get that much life
    from my battery. I always am using IS, and do lots of looking even
    without shooting. I take wildlife. With two batteries though, I've
    never run out of shooting power. in fact, one battery I think does me
    over 100 images of fully stabilized shots. If it's less, it's not a
    big deal, the batteries are chargable, cheap, and small to store. The
    charger is also small.
    Jim Davis, Feb 10, 2004