    reproduced the screen color perfectly without any adjustments being
    needed.

    Thanks, Dave F.

    DaveF, Sep 29, 2006

  2. DaveF

    JANA Guest

    Maybe there is a defect in the printer! ??? Send it back for service or get
    it exchanged.

    I found from experience, that in Canon printers, we had to go very high end
    to get very good results. My personal preference has been for the HP photo
    quality printers. You get what you pay for!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "DaveF" <> wrote in message
    I'd like to hear from someone who has one of these printers and is
    happy with the color results using default settings. Mine prints
    light and with too much red.

    It's about 2 weeks old and I've made 3 calls to Canon.ca Help but they
    don't seem able to pinpoint the problem. I'm using the original ink
    tanks and Canon glossy photo paper (but I get same results on Staples
    paper). Windows color management is turned off.

    I can mostly correct it with a custom printer profile (a fiddly
    process) but it can't be made the default profile.

    This is my first Canon. I've had Lexmarks in the past and they

    JANA, Sep 29, 2006

  3. DaveF

    Fred Guest

    "DaveF" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to hear from someone who has one of these printers and is
    > happy with the color results using default settings. Mine prints
    > light and with too much red.

    I have one of these printers and am on my third set of original Canon carts.
    DVD printing, glossy prints, high resolution prints have all been excellent.
    The duplex feature is handy.
    I haven't noticed any glaring discrepancies.

    As a test I just printed the chart on this page
    http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_4.html using high res paper and
    found what was printed on the page matched very closely to what was
    displayed on the monitor.
    Maybe your monitor needs calibrating.

    Fred, Sep 29, 2006
  4. DaveF

    DaveF Guest

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 03:08:21 -0400, "JANA" <>
    wrote:

    >Maybe there is a defect in the printer! ??? Send it back for service or get
    >it exchanged.
    >
    >I found from experience, that in Canon printers, we had to go very high end
    >to get very good results. My personal preference has been for the HP photo
    >quality printers. You get what you pay for!

    Thank you JANA. The IP 5200 /is/ a high end printer AFAIK. It is
    the most expensive Canon carried by Staples in my town, so it should
    be close to the top.

    DaveF

    DaveF, Sep 30, 2006
  5. DaveF

    DaveF Guest

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:20:55 +0930, "Fred" <> wrote:

    >"DaveF" <> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to hear from someone who has one of these printers and is
    >> happy with the color results using default settings. Mine prints
    >> light and with too much red.

    >I have one of these printers and am on my third set of original Canon carts.
    >DVD printing, glossy prints, high resolution prints have all been excellent.
    >The duplex feature is handy.
    >I haven't noticed any glaring discrepancies.
    >
    >As a test I just printed the chart on this page
    >http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_4.html using high res paper and
    >found what was printed on the page matched very closely to what was
    >displayed on the monitor.
    >Maybe your monitor needs calibrating.
    >>
    >> It's about 2 weeks old and I've made 3 calls to Canon.ca Help but they
    >> don't seem able to pinpoint the problem. I'm using the original ink
    >> tanks and Canon glossy photo paper (but I get same results on Staples
    >> paper). Windows color management is turned off.
    >>
    >> I can mostly correct it with a custom printer profile (a fiddly
    >> process) but it can't be made the default profile.
    >>
    >> This is my first Canon. I've had Lexmarks in the past and they
    >> reproduced the screen color perfectly without any adjustments being
    >> needed.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Dave F.

    Thank you Fred, an actual Ip5200 user. Good stuff. I'm glad you are
    pleased with your unit because I like the printer features overall.

    Since my posting and before I got your reply I talked to Canon.ca
    again. A different tech had me go through all the available screens /
    tests again. This time I did a nozzle deep cleaning. He said this is
    normally only needed if the printer has not been used for a year ! (My
    machine was new out of the box 2 weeks ago.) But that did fix the
    problem of it printing too light.

    The other problem -- a red cast -- was still there. He wants me to
    scan (labeled) printouts and email them to him. I couldn't find a
    suitable image to work from but the test chart you pointed me to is
    perfect.

    It prints with a definite red cast. The red exists even in the
    central grayscale image.

    I'll email him stuff Monday -- Canon are closed weekends -- he can
    compare my results to the URL image.

    Thanks again Fred.
    DaveF

    DaveF, Sep 30, 2006