    optical method (bottom of cartridge will get clearer) so my checking it
    shouldn't mess that up. Is that correct? If not, how else can I check it?

    Mel
    MB_, Feb 19, 2005

  2. MB_

    Matt Ion Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > I have a new Canon printer as mentioned above and we like the prints.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1) About how many 4X6 photos can one get before needing a new cartridge(s)?
    > So far, I have printed about 90 such pictures and from what I can tell, the
    > cartridges APPEAR to be about 60% full. Is that about right? This leads to
    > my second question:
    >
    > 2) I checked the cartridges by taking them out and kind of trying to eyeball
    > them. It is still hard to tell how much ink is left. But, am I messing up
    > any sensors by checking the cartridges that way?? I assume from what I've
    > read that when the ink gets very low the printer will know it via some
    > optical method (bottom of cartridge will get clearer) so my checking it
    > shouldn't mess that up. Is that correct? If not, how else can I check it?

    Once the "liquid" side of the tank is empty, an optical sensor under it
    will trigger the "low ink" warning. At that point, the sponge side of
    the tank still holds enough ink for probably a couple dozen prints,
    giving you time to pick up a new one. Taking the tanks out to check
    regularly shouldn't hurt anything, although you stand a chance of
    leaking ink onto your desk or clothes...
    Matt Ion, Feb 20, 2005