Canon Image Browser software support problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Weiss, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    I'm interested in other people's experiences with Canon's Image
    Browser software supplied with the Power Shot S50 (among other
    cameras). I'm using the Mac OS X version.

    When I first encountered problems with Image Browser, I tried
    going to the Canon web site to get the latest release. My S50
    came with 3.0.0.19, and the web site is distributing 3.0.4, but
    it also says 3.0.4 doesn't support the S50. This was pretty
    alarming to me, since I bought the S50 only about a month ago.
    Does this mean that Canon considers it obsolete already?

    All software has bugs, and I don't expect Image browser to be
    bug-free, but I do expect some serious response when I report
    bugs and some effort to fix them and supply new, less buggy
    releases of the code. I think that most people are so
    conditioned to poorly written software for home computers that
    they just shrug it off when an application crashes, so not much
    gets reported to Canon's tech support. When I told them on the
    phone that Image browser had crashed a number of times, they
    presented me with the interesting view that application crashes
    were always the fault of the operating system, and that there was
    nothing they could do about them. (Again, I realize that *some*
    application crashes are probably caused by things out of the
    application coder's control, but many - probably most, in my
    opinion - are not.) They had absolutely no interest in the fact
    that IB doesn't adhere to OS X user interface standards
    (shift/click to select a range of items, or clicking in the
    scroll bar to scroll by a full page, for example) - they just
    kept saying "that's the way it works".

    When I first tried to print an index sheet from images in raw
    format I tried it on a group of sixteen images. After I got the
    standard print dialog and clicked "print", it put up a small box
    titled "Printing" that said "Processing page number: 1" and had a
    barber pole-style progress bar and a "cancel" button. The
    progress bar never budged a pixel, and the mouse cursor changed
    to the spinning disc ("beach ball"). There was no response when
    I clicked the cancel button. After waiting many minutes, I
    finally used Force Quit to terminate IB. (I'm running on an 800
    MHz G4 iMac with 512M RAM, which may not be the latest blazing
    machine, but it's not some ancient clunker either.) After some
    experimenting, I found that it takes approximately 35-45 seconds
    per raw image to print medium-sized index prints, which means
    that the sixteen would have taken something in the vicinity of
    ten minutes to print! Canon tech support responded to this
    problem with typical useless tech support behavior, such as
    telling me to reinstall the application (which I dutifully did,
    and, of course, it changed nothing). They seemed completely
    unconcerned that the motionless progress bar, lack of response to
    the cancel button, and spinning disc were indications that the
    application was not coded properly. It's especially irritating
    to have to listen to how much Canon is concerned with customer
    satisfaction (in their email sig files and while on hold on the
    phone) and then just be blown off when I report problems.
    Alan Weiss, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Alan Weiss

    John O. Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm interested in other people's experiences with Canon's Image
    > Browser software supplied with the Power Shot S50 (among other
    > cameras). I'm using the Mac OS X version.
    >
    > When I first encountered problems with Image Browser, I tried
    > going to the Canon web site to get the latest release. My S50
    > came with 3.0.0.19, and the web site is distributing 3.0.4, but
    > it also says 3.0.4 doesn't support the S50. This was pretty
    > alarming to me, since I bought the S50 only about a month ago.
    > Does this mean that Canon considers it obsolete already?
    >
    > All software has bugs, and I don't expect Image browser to be
    > bug-free, but I do expect some serious response when I report
    > bugs and some effort to fix them and supply new, less buggy
    > releases of the code. I think that most people are so
    > conditioned to poorly written software for home computers that
    > they just shrug it off when an application crashes, so not much
    > gets reported to Canon's tech support. When I told them on the
    > phone that Image browser had crashed a number of times, they
    > presented me with the interesting view that application crashes
    > were always the fault of the operating system, and that there was
    > nothing they could do about them. (Again, I realize that *some*
    > application crashes are probably caused by things out of the
    > application coder's control, but many - probably most, in my
    > opinion - are not.) They had absolutely no interest in the fact
    > that IB doesn't adhere to OS X user interface standards
    > (shift/click to select a range of items, or clicking in the
    > scroll bar to scroll by a full page, for example) - they just
    > kept saying "that's the way it works".
    >
    > When I first tried to print an index sheet from images in raw
    > format I tried it on a group of sixteen images. After I got the
    > standard print dialog and clicked "print", it put up a small box
    > titled "Printing" that said "Processing page number: 1" and had a
    > barber pole-style progress bar and a "cancel" button. The
    > progress bar never budged a pixel, and the mouse cursor changed
    > to the spinning disc ("beach ball"). There was no response when
    > I clicked the cancel button. After waiting many minutes, I
    > finally used Force Quit to terminate IB. (I'm running on an 800
    > MHz G4 iMac with 512M RAM, which may not be the latest blazing
    > machine, but it's not some ancient clunker either.) After some
    > experimenting, I found that it takes approximately 35-45 seconds
    > per raw image to print medium-sized index prints, which means
    > that the sixteen would have taken something in the vicinity of
    > ten minutes to print! Canon tech support responded to this
    > problem with typical useless tech support behavior, such as
    > telling me to reinstall the application (which I dutifully did,
    > and, of course, it changed nothing). They seemed completely
    > unconcerned that the motionless progress bar, lack of response to
    > the cancel button, and spinning disc were indications that the

    I can understand how you feel. But I think you are beating your head
    against the wall. The minute you pick up a phone, or email tech-support
    you've allready lost. I've always thought: Do I want to use this
    camera? Or do I want to spend my time talking to the maker? I usually
    find another way to do what I want and dump the camera drivers and
    software. Canon is probably thinking: It works for everyone else.
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.
    John O., Aug 4, 2003