    Has anyone had any direct experience with either of these printers?
    Is there some "gotcha" with the Canon printer that I haven't uncovered yet?
    Is there anything better than either of above at a sensible price?

    Frederick, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Frederick

    BILL Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:54:31 +1200, Frederick <> wrote:

    >I want a decent A3 photo quality printer. I was mentally preparing
    >myself for the financial shock of buying an Epson 2100, despite some
    >concerns (bronzing in particular). Meantime, they have dropped in price
    >by $600 or so (new model coming?).
    >However, I have been looking at sample prints, and don't know whether or
    >not I am kidding myself - with my perception that a Canon i9550 seems
    >to offer a better result at just over half the price, with an apparently
    >similar consumable cost / TCO.
    >Has anyone had any direct experience with either of these printers?
    >Is there some "gotcha" with the Canon printer that I haven't uncovered yet?
    >Is there anything better than either of above at a sensible price?

    Canon prints do not last and the print heads burn out.

    Have a look at the Epson R1800

    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson R1800/page_14.htm

    100 year print life or is it 200 years..?

    BILL, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Frederick

    Frederick Guest

    BILL wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:54:31 +1200, Frederick <> wrote:
    >

    >>I want a decent A3 photo quality printer. I was mentally preparing
    >>myself for the financial shock of buying an Epson 2100, despite some
    >>concerns (bronzing in particular). Meantime, they have dropped in price
    >>by $600 or so (new model coming?).
    >>However, I have been looking at sample prints, and don't know whether or
    >>not I am kidding myself - with my perception that a Canon i9550 seems
    >>to offer a better result at just over half the price, with an apparently
    >>similar consumable cost / TCO.
    >>Has anyone had any direct experience with either of these printers?
    >>Is there some "gotcha" with the Canon printer that I haven't uncovered yet?
    >>Is there anything better than either of above at a sensible price?

    > Canon prints do not last and the print heads burn out.

    According to wilhelm research accelerated testing, they should last at
    least as long as the 25 years Canon claim.
    The print heads are user-replaceable - unlike the Epson 2100.

    > Have a look at the Epson R1800

    Until you mentioned the R1800, I had never heard of it. Thanks.
    RRP UK = GBP 399 - so it *should* be in the same price range as a Canon
    i9950 - and less than an Epson 2100.
    Very interesting - but where can I get one now? Not listed on Epson NZ
    website. Not something I'd want to get shipped ex USA either. Right
    now I can't look at it.

    > http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson R1800/page_14.htm
    >

    > 100 year print life or is it 200 years..?

    Claimed to depend on paper - but we will never know for sure.
    In any case, even the 25 odd years possible from dye based inks on the
    right paper is pretty darn good (some of my cibachromes aren't looking
    that great after 15).

    From the review that you posted a link to:

    "As a professional photographer with over 30 years experience and
    exhibited at many venues, I can say that the print I produced this
    afternoon is better than anything I have ever done in the darkroom."

    I like to read comments like that. I suspect that it is not an
    exaggeration. I have read similar comment about i9950 print quality.

    Frederick, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Frederick

    k1w1 Guest

    >> Canon prints do not last and the print heads burn out.
    >>

    > According to wilhelm research accelerated testing, they should last at
    > least as long as the 25 years Canon claim.
    > The print heads are user-replaceable - unlike the Epson 2100.
    >>
    >> Have a look at the Epson R1800
    >>

    > Until you mentioned the R1800, I had never heard of it. Thanks.
    > RRP UK = GBP 399 - so it *should* be in the same price range as a Canon
    > i9950 - and less than an Epson 2100.
    > Very interesting - but where can I get one now? Not listed on Epson NZ
    > website. Not something I'd want to get shipped ex USA either. Right now
    > I can't look at it.
    >>
    >> http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson R1800/page_14.htm
    >>

    >> 100 year print life or is it 200 years..?
    >>

    > Claimed to depend on paper - but we will never know for sure.
    > In any case, even the 25 odd years possible from dye based inks on the
    > right paper is pretty darn good (some of my cibachromes aren't looking
    > that great after 15).
    >
    > From the review that you posted a link to:
    >
    > "As a professional photographer with over 30 years experience and
    > exhibited at many venues, I can say that the print I produced this
    > afternoon is better than anything I have ever done in the darkroom."
    >
    > I like to read comments like that. I suspect that it is not an
    > exaggeration. I have read similar comment about i9950 print quality.

    I've got the I9950. Great print quality and it's fast. Prints out a full
    page borderless A3+ print in around 4 mintues (on my sysem). The ink goes on
    and on. I Think I did somewhere in the region of 50 A4 full page borderless
    equivalent prints (A3 counting as 2 A4's etc) before the first ink needed
    changing. I've only just replaced the red and greens after 5 months and it's
    had a lot of work go through it. I recently did a 300 page A3 print job,
    that went through 2 1/3 black ink tanks and about 1/3 of the colour ones.
    *IF* the print heads do burn out, and certainly I've come across print head
    problems on Canons, as I have with Epson, at least they're a user
    replaceable item. All in all I'm very satisified with the output.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_i9900.html

    k1w1, Mar 29, 2005