Canon i9950/9900 first impressions - WOW

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DJ, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. DJ

    DJ Guest

    I got my Canon i9950 (i9900 in the USA) about a week ago. It's an A3+ (13"x19")
    printer with 8 colours : C, M, Y, K, pC, pM, Red and Green.

    The results so far are AWESOME!

    My camera is a Canon 300D. The prints on A3 generic brand glossy photo paper
    (what I had lying around) look better than the same image on my 19" screen. Some
    pictures of my 1 y.o. and 2 y.o. grandchildren are so crisp and clear they take
    our breath away (maybe a bit of grand-parental bias there!)

    There is absolutely no question that a camera in the 300D class (i.e. APS sized
    sensor) can yield stunning prints at A3. I would be confident in going much
    larger than that, given a poster sized print will be viewed from some distance.

    I also printed out some older shots from my Nikon CP990 at up to A4 (8x10) and
    they too look good. They do lack the knife edge sharpness of the 300D. One
    reason is the noise from the samll sensor is so high that using USM is a dubious
    proposition. I'm not yet up the curve on using noise reduction methods, and with
    300D the need is not particularly pressing.

    My only regret is that my father, who was a professional photographer and a very
    avid proponent of small-format in a time when 35mm was regarded as indecent, did
    not live to see this magic technology.
    DJ, Jun 6, 2004

  2. DJ

    YoYo Guest

    I agree the Canon I9900 was AWESOME!

    It even printed great on Kodak unlike
    poor Epson haha.

    YoYo, Jun 6, 2004

  3. DJ

    Carl Valle Guest

    "YoYo" < your.business.com> wrote in message
    > I agree the Canon I9900 was AWESOME!
    >
    > It even printed great on Kodak unlike
    > poor Epson haha.
    >
    > "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > > I got my Canon i9950 (i9900 in the USA) about a week ago. It's an A3+

    > (13"x19")
    > > printer with 8 colours : C, M, Y, K, pC, pM, Red and Green.
    > >
    > > The results so far are AWESOME!
    > >
    > > My camera is a Canon 300D. The prints on A3 generic brand glossy photo

    > paper
    > > (what I had lying around) look better than the same image on my 19"

    > screen. Some
    > > pictures of my 1 y.o. and 2 y.o. grandchildren are so crisp and clear

    they
    > take
    > > our breath away (maybe a bit of grand-parental bias there!)
    > >
    > > There is absolutely no question that a camera in the 300D class (i.e.

    APS
    > sized
    > > sensor) can yield stunning prints at A3. I would be confident in going

    > much
    > > larger than that, given a poster sized print will be viewed from some

    > distance.
    > >
    > > I also printed out some older shots from my Nikon CP990 at up to A4

    (8x10)
    > and
    > > they too look good. They do lack the knife edge sharpness of the 300D.

    One
    > > reason is the noise from the samll sensor is so high that using USM is a

    > dubious
    > > proposition. I'm not yet up the curve on using noise reduction methods,

    > and with
    > > 300D the need is not particularly pressing.
    > >
    > > My only regret is that my father, who was a professional photographer

    and
    > a very
    > > avid proponent of small-format in a time when 35mm was regarded as

    > indecent, did
    > > not live to see this magic technology.

    I love my i9900
    Makes all the difference between going digital
    My friends epson 2200 doesn't even come close
    I am soooo glad I waited
    Prints off this printer look as good as cibachrome
    And it printed exact color match to photoshop right out of the box

    Check it out - It is the best thing that has happened to digital in years

    Carl
    Carl Valle, Jun 8, 2004